P-Series experts I have a frame question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
On the P89 frames , some had a guide rod with a small tab protruding from the beginning of it where it fits up to the barrel link. Others had a guide rod that was flat where it fits up to the barrel link. My question is this : Were their frames the same or were they different ? Thanks for any information.

I think Ron in Pa or someone here can answer that..... better than me. It may have to do with the two different slides that were made for the P89. Seems like this might have been discussed a few months back.... look down on this list.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285516

tercel89

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I think Ron in Pa or someone here can answer that..... better than me. It may have to do with the two different slides that were made for the P89. Seems like this might have been discussed a few months back.... look down on this list.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=285516

Yeah , I forgot I made that topic. Sorry . But I still didn't get a definite answer. I'm just trying to see if there were 2 different frames for the P89. I'm asking because I have a used P89 slide with the guide rod with little protruding nipple type thing on it. It's from a DeCock-Only gun. My other complete P89 is a De-Cock-Safety gun that has the flat ended guide rod. I'm wondering if I can use the Decock only slide on my Decock-Safety frame. I am hoping the frames were the same on the inside. If so then I think I can just swap the slides. If the frames were different on the insides then if I swap slides then something may rub or drag.

The best I can tell you is many years ago I bought from someone on line a decock slide for a P89 and it would not fit on the existing P89 (I think older model) that I had which was originally a safety model. someone here (I think) traded that slide for one they had, also a decock, and it fit on the P89 I had... and functioned just fine. So there were two different slide/ base types but as to how to determine which you have, I can't help with that....

well maybe I can if I get both P89s out and look at them.... later.

I think I have the answer.... which is no it doesn't matter.... here's what I did.... I gathered my two P89's... one is older and the other newer.. .the newer model actually came as a KP89x... and also had a 30cal luger barrel with guide rod/spring... I also have the safety slide ... barrel and guide rod for that 'newer' pistol then I also found the for that same pistol I had a ported barrel and guide rod..... four of the guid rods have the nipple on the end but the one that was packaged with the ported barrel is different flat on the end and also the rod is different.... look at the rod to right on the below picture.

I actually found a 6th guide rod.... again with the nipple....
so if you need one with a nipple for some reason,.... let me know.

roylt

Hunter
Slides are "fit" to the frame but most are loose enough that it doesn't matter. I have swapped many slide back and forth and have a few slides only that can be put on several frames. The 89 model is the easiest to swap as almost all were built the same. If you get too old of a frame there can be hang-ups.

The easiest and safest way to tell if a slide will fit another frame is to simply remove the barrel and guide rod then put the slide on the frame. If it moves free it should work with the barrel and rod installed.

With that said I have had the barrel link drag on a frame because the link was bigger and the slot in the frame was not as deep.

You should be fine to try it. I mean try to put the second slide on the frame. as soon as you feel any issue just stop and look. May be able to mod the frame if needed.

I'd say 95% of the time they just work fine.

Blume has bought a lot of guns and traded several things over the years, I gather from his posts, but I think it was me that traded his slides.

If you search my posts you will find that I tinkered on the old P-guns a lot. My kids are older and take more of my time so kitchen table smithing isn't high on my list anymore but do still have most of my Frankenstein P-guns. Even took a DOA 89 and made in into a regular hammer fired pistol.

I am also not on as much as I used to be but will try to help when I can. Enjoy those P-guns.

Keep the P-guns alive!!!

Roylt is right... I'm pretty sure he's the one that helped me out with the swap of slides.... Those P89s are hosses for sure.... I'm seriously thinking about divesting some of my P pistols... and a KP89X might be one of them! Of course what one needs a 30 caliber luger barrel for is beyond me....

roylt

Hunter
I think the 30 Luger was for a specific country back in the day. Sort of like 9x18 was.

roylt said:
I think the 30 Luger was for a specific country back in the day. Sort of like 9x18 was.

I think it had to do with regular citizens of a country not being able to own firearms with a military / police caliber and so Ruger was selling those in that country with the 30 caliber luger barrel.... I've got a box of those stuck somewhere in the back of my ammo cabinet.