OM Suoer Single six hammer problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Ok, so I bought an old model Super Single Six a few months ago that has a small issue. The top of the hammer strikes the bottom of the rear sight (unless the sight is adjusted WAY up) causing a no-fire situation. It came to me with the safety conversion parts, so it had been back to Ruger, but had the old model parts installed when I got it. So do I have a parts mix up here, where a large frame hammer got installed somewhere along the way? Is that possible?
Follow up question, can I safely take a little metal off the top of the hammer so the gun will function properly, or should I find a correct hammer(assuming that is the problem)?

the old model hammers for the Single Six, came to a point ( sharp edge) at the top,,,,
later, when the Super Single Sixes came out they had to grind off this top, sharp edge and those hammers had a "flat" top edge, this was to clear the rear sight as those guns had rear, adjustable sights, hung back,out over the top of the hammer....you can get another hammer or simply, neatly, file or grind off the top edge to clear,,,we've done that numerous times over the years for folks when the tried to put old model parts back into a gun that the parts did NOT come out of,,,,,hope this helps:cool:;)

.....I believe the original hammers were like 2 1/16" to 2 1/8th" and the Super Single Six hammers were at 2 inches and obviously flat at the top.........

Last edited:
......a firm grip, nice clean smooth stone on your grinding wheel and remember neatness counts, as well as keeping things "square"......or have a buddy who is a machinist and have him surface grind it.......more work taking it all apart, to get at the hammer, and better to sneak in "a part" to the machine shop at work, than taking in the whole gun..........bet you may only have to take off about 1/16 th of an inch,,,,easy enough to tell, just looking at the hammer/sight relationship on the gun....:cool:;)

G2

Hunter
Single six hammer 5th (l-r) Super Single Six hammer 6th.
Hawkeye, SuperBH, LGBH.41/44/45, MEDBH.357, SS, SSS, Bearcat.
1694786809368.jpeg

Quality Old Model Hammer Photo Courtesy,,, weaselmeatgravy

Last edited:

Latest posts