Single Six hammer swap Photo added

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I am curious what all do I need to do to swap in a Bisley Single Six hammer and trigger into a plow handle frame? I know on the bigger(Blackhawks) models you have to trim the hammer down I think. Is the same true for the Single Six? Thanks for the help

Well I got the hammer in and found another set of grips for her. I also found a spare 22lr cylinder in my stash that works perfect with it. When I bought her from the pawn shop she just had the 22mag cylinder only.

Attachments

• IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    355.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    284.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Same basic process, just smaller. Quite a bit of grinding on the hammer. That's easier than finding a Bisley RSS hammer though. I did a Blackhawk.

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I've done a few in the past and recently put one on my Stainless 32 Mag Single-Six. It's a relatively simple process of removing the Bisley "hump" to match the contour of the standard plowhandle grip frame. I removed the bulk of material on my milling machine and then filed it to the final shape...You could do the same thing with a hacksaw, files and a good supply of patience. The most difficult part of all, is finding a Single-Six Bisley hammer.

D37IL44.jpg

icA2HfI.jpg

Last edited:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I've done a few in the past and recently put one on my Stainless 32 Mag Single-Six. It's a relatively simple process of removing the Bisley "hump" to match the contour of the standard plowhandle grip frame. I removed the bulk of material on my milling machine and then filed it to the final shape...You could do the same thing with a hacksaw, files and a good supply of patience. The most difficult part of all, is finding a Single-Six Bisley hammer.

D37IL44.jpg

icA2HfI.jpg
Thanks for the help and as far as the Bailey hammer goes I called Ruger and they said they would send me the hammer and trigger free so I was really shocked but happy but I also haven't got it yet so we will see I guess

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I'm curious. What did you tell them to get them to send you these hard to find parts for free?

I have been looking for that hammer for a long time. Maybe I should have called Ruger?

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I'm curious. What did you tell them to get them to send you these hard to find parts for free?

I have been looking for that hammer for a long time. Maybe I should have called Ruger?
I called and asked if they had a hammer and trigger I could buy and they asked for my serial number. I have a Single Six Bisley so I give them the serial number from it. The guy looked up the parts and my name in the system and then said he would send them out to me no charge. I was shocked to say the least it all seemed way to easy

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
good for you,,,one never knows unless they try and ask, it all depends on so many variables ( yes, a crap shoot) but it can and does happen........:unsure::rolleyes:;)
Yeah you truly never know I haven't been home in a couple of days so I don't know if it has actually showed up or not but we will see soon. I will keep everyone posted. Thanks

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I did this a few years ago. Bisley hammer and trigger. I too modified the hammer so I didn't have to enlarge the opening in the grip frame.

nKKCjtYl.jpg
Nice looking revolver I am hopeful I can make it work without too much stress. I will post pics when I get done. Thanks

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I called and asked if they had a hammer and trigger I could buy and they asked for my serial number. I have a Single Six Bisley so I give them the serial number from it. The guy looked up the parts and my name in the system and then said he would send them out to me no charge. I was shocked to say the least it all seemed way to easy
Well for all those wondering I did get a free hammer and trigger from Ruger but they didn't send a Bisley they sent a stainless regular hammer and trigger. I will call them again after the holiday and try again I guess. Thanks for all the help

G2

Hunter
I prefer the Bisley Hammer, especially on the Single, Six or Seven.
32 H&R's only the middle on was original Bisley.
51971092742_5c4d405057_b.jpg

327 Magnum's
The top one was a Bisley from Ruger, but now a Brass #5.
51972050673_cfbfb5c996_b.jpg

Birdsheads,
The bottom three all changed to Bisley hammer
45/45ACP Vaquero
327 Magnum
22/22 mag
50286667097_45aeaf6ae9_b.jpg

When removing the "hump" I like to flush it with the ears on the grip frame, this usually leaves about 1/8" of the hump vs the standard hammer. Good time to fill the hole.
52352230477_608167c011_b.jpg

Bisley Hammers are getting harder to find/ acquire,,,
and getting Ruger to part with one has not been successful. Last time I tried was asked for my SN#, which I gave them, then was given the option to purchase a pick-up ticket…??? to send it in for install. Was told they no longer sell Bisley Hammer as a part.
I am real curious to see if they really do send one, No Charge or At All.

Last edited:

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
I prefer the Bisley Hammer, especially on the Single, Six or Seven.
32 H&R's only the middle on was original Bisley.
51971092742_5c4d405057_b.jpg

327 Magnum's
The top one was a Bisley from Ruger, but now a Brass #5.
51972050673_cfbfb5c996_b.jpg

Birdsheads,
The bottom three all changed to Bisley hammer
45/45ACP Vaquero
327 Magnum
22/22 mag
50286667097_45aeaf6ae9_b.jpg

When removing the "hump" I like to flush it with the ears on the grip frame, this usually leaves about 1/8" of the hump vs the standard hammer. Good time to fill the hole.
52352230477_608167c011_b.jpg

Bisley Hammers are getting harder to find/ acquire,,,
and getting Ruger to part with one has not been successful. Last time I tried was asked for my SN#, which I gave them, then was given the option to purchase a pick-up ticket…??? to send it in for install. Was told they no longer sell Bisley Hammer as a part.
I am real curious to see if they really do send one, No Charge or At All.
They didn't send a Bisley but they did send me a free stainless hammer and trigger. I don't think the guy there understood completely what the Bisley is or was. I tried calling them again but they must have taken the entire week off for the Holiday as the recording says they are closed until after the Holiday. I will keep everyone posted as I continue to try. I am curious though how come no one has taken a hammer after modified and mass produce them there is clearly a market for them and once you modify the hump off it technically would pass any patents that may exist. Thanks for the reply and you have a beautiful collection there.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I too like the hammer but I hate the Bisley grip. I'd never have a birdshead either though. Shouldn't matter what the OP "ordered", if the serial number is from an original Bisley RSS, that's what they should have sent.

G2

Hunter
Power Custom has made aftermarket Bisley Hammers in both OM & NM.
They have been somewhat accepted, nice part but they have been ~$150 +/-,,, Ruger ~$40. (Comparison)
Now when a Single 6 size blued Bisley hammer shows up, they usually bring $100+,,, by those in the know.

The "Hump" is exactly the same on either size of hammer, the only thing that changes is the length of the hammers neck.

FWIW; One can even put a Single Six Size Hammer in a Super Blackhawk and everything thing in between. This is often done to help small hand shooters with "reach" ,,, looks funny but works great.

RW Gripframes "Ronnie" is in the process making custom Bisley Hammers, (Triggers too) it has been a long road but I think he is close. Having worked with some of Ronnie's Parts, I think the quality will be excellent. They will be in the ~$200 range +/-.

collectormzornes

Blackhawk
Well for those keeping up or wanting to know here is an update. I got a free hammer and trigger as previously stated in stainless but it was not the Bisley model. I managed to contact Ruger again Monday(7-10-2023) and asked again about buying the Bisley hammer and trigger. The nice Lady working asked for my serial # again and said she would have to check into it and make sure my gun was a Bisley model. Today(7-12-2023) the nice Lady called back and said they found a black trigger and hammer and would be sending it out to me. So lets hope it is a Bisley model and not just a blued hammer and trigger. Here's to hoping and good luck all.