Single Six hammer mod.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I am in need of 2 modified Single Six hammers. My quest is 2 hammers that have a lowered and widened spur similar to a SBH or Bisley. I can buy 2 Single Six blued hammers but what to do next is my question. I do not have any SBH hammers that I can butcher for the SPURS so I will need to do some creative fabrication. At one time some pictures by Hondo44 where posted on the web but have vanished. All help is appreciated. I don't need to do this today but having it done by Wednesday noon would be great. Thank you, Jerry

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
On a Bisley hammer, all that is necessary is the removal of the "hump" ...The most difficulty involved, is finding a Single Six Bisley hammer.
IMG_20210902_101751.jpg

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I had checked Ronnie's site a few days ago and all he has are hammers for old models. My son has a wire feed that uses a small wire and he has a friend that does Tig. Home grown hammers may be my only out, if I can find a picture of a cut and bend that I can duplicate. A Bisley hammer would be the cats meow but I have only seen pictures in fact I have seen more pictures of Big Foot.

G2

Hunter
My understanding is this will all be available in New Model soon. Some interesting stuff here. Ronnie's parts are top notch & very accurate parts.

FWIW; Blue Hammers can be found… Super Hammers, (~75-100$) Blue Bisley Single Six (~150-200$) & Blue Bisley Blackhawk (100$ +/-) Its no fun to pay those prices, But the alternative is a RW Hammer @ $250.
Find the hammers needed for the Chop/Weld/Re-Blue and one is $100+ ,,, Now the $250 sounds fair, and it's a really nice hammer.

Last edited:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Ronnie does have great stuff no doubt. I find Power Custom hammer and trigger combo set for sale and also Single Six hammers on ebay but that is it. I need 2 hammers for my guns.

contender

Ruger Guru
As you can see,, your project isn't an easy one nor inexpensive. If you go the route of chopping & welding etc,, time & labor add to the expense.
And your project isn't a totally odd or unusual one. It's why Ronnie has gotten into doing such stuff.

Reactions: G2

G2

Hunter
As you can see,, your project isn't an easy one nor inexpensive. If you go the route of chopping & welding etc,, time & labor add to the expense.
And your project isn't a totally odd or unusual one. It's why Ronnie has gotten into doing such stuff.

Contender,
Time & Labor, I wouldn't be able to do this if I even paid myself, 🤪,,, BUT I hear ya, it's when someday else at a function wants you to do the same thing to theirs when one reflects on the Time & Labor.😳😳😳😁

onehandgunner,
Sounds like Ronnie is close on the NM availability, noticed this post on the Single Action Forum this morning,,, from yesterday.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Nobody made or planned to make super BH hammers sized for the single six frame. Therefore I cut off the spurs, and tig welded the super spur on the single six hammer.

And it's just as easy to section and weld on the bottom of an old model hammer. And there was no hump on the old models bottom half of your hammer to grind down; the hump was gone with the removal of the new model Bisley hammer lower half! It's just not much work or hard to do.

When I wanted bisley triggers for old models I did the same. But it was even easier; all I had to do is cut the top half off with the screw hole and weld on the top half of an old model trigger. Or you can just silver solder the two halves together because the trigger seam doesn't show; it's inside the frame.
Photos below in post #13 and 14.

I made them for friends if they supplied the parts. I'd still make them if I could get $250 or even $150 for them, if I wasn't retired. I wasn't a gunsmith except when I or my friends wanted gun features that Ruger and S&W didn't make their standard models with.
Photos the next day I'm home.

Last edited:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
Hondo thank you, I will be waiting on the photos. I do not have any spare SBH hammers available but the Single Six hammers I can get. The labor $$ on all of this is "0". My son and I can do all of this or we know someone that can pitch in. Ronnie has great stuff, I did buy from him before but I can not afford the hammers. $500 for 2 hammers is more than half the cost of another gun. But thank you for your ideas and help.

Last edited:

G2

Hunter
The BIG COST & DIFFICULTY TODAY is FINDING the CARBON DONER PARTS.
NM Single Six Hammer $30 easy to acquire- 1 ,,, on a a scale 1-10
OM Single Six Hammer $45 easy to acquire- 1

Spurs needed from a;
NM Super Blackhawk Hammer $75+/- getting somewhat difficult to acquire- 6
NM Bisley Blackhawk Hammer $75+/- probably the hardest to acquire- 8

Friend to TIG - $40 for lunch, always a good time. OR $50 to the I know a guy/ welder.
Re-Blue; $5-45,,,, Cold Blue $5, (sorta right) Dunk from the local gunsmith ~$25, or ship it $45.

Obviously all these costs can be plus/ minus depending on who you know, what ones own skills are, lots of variables that we know nothing about. But the discussion on the Ruger Forum is fun.

1705420864413.jpeg

1705418325494.jpeg

1705418429549.jpeg

I have done this a few times, here is a Super Spur on a OM Single Six, This entire gun is build from parts, the goal, build a Super Single Six.
Thats a NM Brass Grip Frame that was messed up by Bubba, some gentle massage and some Silver Solder got it where it looks good and is serviceable. Interesting note; I got 2 each, BGF from Bubba, then he decided he needed to hire somebody that had a bit more skill…🙄
ERH assembly was from a Colt Clone the Bullseye ERB had come apart, MFG defect.
Smooth Super Trigger & Grip Panels from EBay, Brass Black Eagle Medallions, lost wax cast by myself.
Barrel from the Ruger Forum Classifieds, and I know it's not all the way in in the picture.
53216260340_039413a61f_k.jpg

While I do like to find parts on the cheeeep, I also recognize quality comes at a price and saves time.
This Trigger ($84 delivered) an Old Model with a New Model trigger return spring ledge & Bisley curve, to be used with a NM Bisley grip frame easily,,,,
showed up yesterday, it's very fine & finished ready to drop in.
Thought🧐,,, Build one; OM trigger $30, NM trigger Bisley $25, Chop, Silver Solder, Re-Blue $$ ( if needed/ most likely),,, and it most likely will not turn out as nice.

1705420439457.jpeg

What's it going in? This 357 flattop build/ shooter.
fwiw; I did build a custom OM hammer, one off, modified Bisley/Super hammer for this one.
1705420579633.jpeg

Attachments

• 1705418393720.jpeg
    1705418393720.jpeg
    464.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Continuation of post #10:

The photo of the hammer spur swap above is better that I have. Below is an old model three screw single six with modified Bisley hammer;

1705739362311.jpeg

Old model midsize 357 frame: Modified Bisley trigger with new model flattop .44 Spl barrel and cylinder, Hunter grip frame and Vaquero Montado wide spur hammer.
1705734511691.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts