OM vs NM Disassembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bpimwheel

Bearcat
I need help in determining the correct orientation of the pawl spring and plunger on an old model blackhawk and old model Single Six.
Does the plunger go into the cylinder frame first or does the spring go in first.
Numrich's diagrams of the Blackhawk show the spring going in first, but on the diagram of the Single Six it show the plunger going in first.
I bought a 1968 Single Six Convertible (SN: 815XXX) and disassembled it for cleaning, noted the plunger was in first, opposite of the 1965 Blackhawk 357M (SN: 659XX) that I acquired last week which had the spring in first. Not knowing who has been working on these old Old Models I wonder which direction is correct.
I also note the Ruger video of the NM Blackhawk showing the plunger going in first. So I assume that is the correct way but not sure at this point.
Thanks in advance

JAYDAWG

Single-Sixer
Plunger goes in the frame to push against the pawl.

I have pulled a few apart with the spring in first against the pawl, and the spring is bent to the point it's difficult to get it out.
Here's what it looks like.
Cheers,
JAYDAWG

Attachments

• spring.jpg
    spring.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 12
......yessir, whats said above,
Plunger in the hole first ( up frontward) then the spring and its usually already attached to the plunger??? got my best deal on a very old Flatgate that the gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain screwed up, and my cop friend who bought it, took it back, complained it hung up ,acted up , and I said I'd take it as it was "boogered", was a great deal, redid it and doubled my money....it ain't rocket science..... :cool: ;)

bpimwheel

Bearcat
I have pulled a few apart with the spring in first against the pawl, and the spring is bent to the point it's difficult to get it out.
Here's what it looks like.
Cheers,
JAYDAWG
Yes jaydawg, that is exactly what I found when disassembling the Single Six for its FIRST deep cleaning in 50 years. I had to use an awl to pull the spring out of the pawl slot next to the blast shield. The spring was bent beyond usability. Luckily I had an extra plunger and spring to replace it with. Now to get a replacement for the replacement?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As a rule of thumb, the plunger always goes against the working part;

Against the pawl,
and on old models, against the trigger, and against the loading gate pivot shaft,
and on new models, against the cylinder latch.