Old model Vaquero question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
Yall will just have to overlook me then.
Old Vaquero is already etched into my brain,having owned my first one over 25 years.
I currently own 3 actual Vaqueros, and 2 Single Sixes with the "u" notch rear sight and half moon front sight.
The only "New Model" Vaquero I have is the Birdshead in 45acp.

I do hope to aquire a match to either the Birdshead, or my Old Vaquero 357 stainless 4-3/4 when the funds, on my part, and availability, divinely interact ,someday.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
OM only means OLD MODEL single actions (without a transfer bar) none of which are Vaqueros, and should not be used for Original Vaqueros. If OM is used and the context of the post indicates Vaqueros are the subject, it should be clarified/corrected to "original Vaquero" (vs. New Vaquero*) by readers of the post.

It's a learning process we all experienced. New Vaqueros and the .44 Special Vaquero* are those with the chamber/loading trough alignment system RIPS (Reverse Indexing Pawl System).

*The exception is the .44 Special which is marked just "Vaquero" because there were no Original Vaqueros chambered in .44 special.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good post Hondo44!!!!!!!

MANY, MANY people come to this Forum looking for correct & excellent information on Rugers. (All Rugers,, old & new!) We should be THE standard for the proper terminology to assist in helping newer folks understand what we are talking about.

Battlement

Bearcat
Was there ever a 7-1/2" OM vaquero made/ sold/ cataloged from Ruger? Preferably in stainless.
I have a 44 mag hi polish Vaquero and a baby Vaquero Single Six hi polish in 7-1/2 ,along with a 357 hi polish 4-5/8, and have always wondered about this and would like to purchase one if available.
Thanks in advance.
Yes there was, and they are hard to find That people want to let go of.

Attachments

• IMG_6217.jpeg
    IMG_6217.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 31

Rclark

Hunter
The above picture is 5 1/2" 'original' Vaquero... Not 7 1/2" .

Good post Hondo44! Someone had to say it!

Latest posts