Old model Vaquero question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
Was there ever a 7-1/2" OM vaquero made/ sold/ cataloged from Ruger? Preferably in stainless.
I have a 44 mag hi polish Vaquero and a baby Vaquero Single Six hi polish in 7-1/2 ,along with a 357 hi polish 4-5/8, and have always wondered about this and would like to purchase one if available.
Thanks in advance.

hittman

Staff member
I "think" a friend had one, blued, 45.
And a heads up …. They'll be along shortly to remind us there are no OM Vaquero's.
"Original" large frame Vaquero? Yes.
New Vaquero's? Yes.
Never an OM 3 screw.

lolbell

Single-Sixer
Yes, I have an original large frame Vaquero in 45 Colt with the 7-1/2" barrel

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
My apologies.
I find that I didn't quite finish my question.
Which was, were there any 7-1/2" vaqueros in 357.
Preferably stainless.And Preferably " original" frame.

I do know of a "original " Vaquero 7-1/2" stainless 45 Colt for sale in Northeast Georgia at a pawn shop.
It's been priced for at least 8 months at north of $900.00. I have considered offering much less but I'd prefer the 357 in that length.

Here are two that I wish I would have kept. They just look COOL MHO I woke up STOOOOOOOPID one day and sold them.
High polish, cylinder throats reamed to correct dia., spring kit, action job, custom grips and Super hammers added later.

1691154613841.png

Here are two that I wish I would have kept. They just look COOL MHO I woke up STOOOOOOOPID one day and sold them.
High polish, cylinder throats reamed to correct dia., spring kit, action job, custom grips and Super hammers added later.

View attachment 26710
Very Nice My kind of shooting irons right there! awesome collection!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You'd have to make one in .357, and I suggest a New Vaquero because it's made on the mid-frame. A .357 original vaquero large frame is way too-heavy-for-caliber.

I made mine by starting with a short barrel New Vaquero .357. I found a 7 1/2" 45 barrel, had it bored out and a .357 liner inserted. Then sell your original barrel.

Your net cost won't be that much and you'll have the talk of the town!! It won't be one-of-kind, but it'll be one of two-of-kind!

Last edited:

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If you haven't shot a New Vaquero you'll like its RIPS (reverse indexing pawl system) chamber alignment for ease of loading/unloading New Models with their transfer bar safety. I've even installed the system on New model single sixes for ease in loading/unloading .22s.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Original Vaqueros are threaded the same as Colt 2nd Gen SAAs. I had Bobby Tyler convert one for me.

1700779268498.png

Patrick Grashorn made the ramshorn grips. I deconstructed and reconstructed the EPS holster. Added Indian Pennies as conchos. Homage to my Cherokee/Irish/Chickasaw grandmother.
1700779488333.png

southernbuck101

Single-Sixer
You'd have to make one in .357, and I suggest a New Vaquero because it's made on the mid-frame. A .357 original vaquero large frame is way too-heavy-for-caliber.

I made mine by starting with a short barrel New Vaquero .357. I found a 7 1/2" 45 barrel, had it bored out and a .357 liner inserted. Then sell your original barrel.

Your net cost won't be that much and you'll have the talk of the town!! It won't be one-of-kind, but it'll be one of two-of-kind!
You got a picture of that gun?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Original Vaqueros are threaded the same as Colt 2nd Gen SAAs. I had Bobby Tyler convert one for me.

View attachment 33802
Actually, Ruger single action mid and large frame barrels, including the Original Vaquero and New Vaquero barrels are 24 TPI x .685" (11/16), (shank .618".) which is the same as 3rd Gen. SAA Colt barrels.

SBH Hunter barrels are the exceptions: thread pitch and diameter varies:

.41 SBH Hunter is 32 TPI x .708" (shank diameter is .623"),
.44 SBH Hunter is 20 TPI x .747" (shank diameter is .680"), (same as Super Redhawk ) (S&W is 36 x .670")
.45 SBH Hunter is 32 TPI x .703" (shank diameter is .623").

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I stand corrected. I thought it was a 2nd Gen barrel we used=musta been a 3rd Gen.
I have to think twice at my age and refer to my notes, can't trust my memory anymore. And your idea to use a Colt barrel is an excellent idea; a Colt .357 barrel avoids the extra work of re-lining a larger caliber Ruger barrel.

And a Colt ejector rod is my preference on my Rugers as an improvement over the Ruger button and puny crescent ejector.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
'OM' REALLY CONFUSES THE ISSUE: "OM"= "Old Model" or "Original Model" depending on who's using it! We need to get a consensus!

Latest posts