Old Model SS Project Help ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpsbgt

Bearcat
I have been lurking around, really enjoy reading about Ruger revolvers. Recently had my old model single six reblued, also bead-blasted and polished the grip frame and ejector housing. The blueing is extremely black and I mean really really black ! The contrast against the polished aluminum is startling. My question is this, can you replace the the the three screws with stainless versions from a old model stainless Blackhawk ? We did replace the grip screws with new model stainless ones.....thanks

street

Hunter
There were no 3 screw Stainless Steel Old Model Blackhawk made. Only blue. And the new model Stainless Blackhawks have 2 pins in the frame instead of 3 screws like the blue Old Models. The Stainless Old Armys might work, if you can find a junk one.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
The Old Army came in stainless and were a three screw type. I polished those and replaced the screws in Blackhawks. Also the grip frames were stainless and bolts right up to Blackhawks. Add a stainless ejector rod housing from early new model Blackhawk and top it off with a custom pair of Cary's grips and you have a look I like.

I have not tried these parts with a Single Six, but my guess they will work.

It was nice when you could call Strum Ruger and get all the Old Army parts you wanted.

SATCOM

yes, the stainless Old Army lock work screws will work,,,,not sure if Ruger has them anymore, with them discontinuing the Old Army and not "supporting" them.....try the parts companies, suppliers.........
strip the blued ones polish them and just keep 'em well oiled, OR send them out to someone like MetalifeSS and get them redone..........

jpsbgt

Bearcat
I did install stainless grip frame screws from the new model, but the clockwork screws we could not find ? Any suggestions on who might have the "Old Army" stainless clockwork screws. I am having a set of Oregon Myrtlewood grips made, can't wait to finish this project.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I believe the term is lock works, as is lock, stock, and barrel.

Any place that sells old gun parts.

Here xtratoy has done all the work;

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=135940

SATCOM