Obtaining accuracy out of a Blackhawk 45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pzlehr

Bearcat
I have read past posts from years ago here and other forums that accuracy can be increased and leading eliminated by reaming the cylinder in a Blackhawk. Can one do that at home or is it best to send it off to a gunsmith? I read where Cylindersmith is retired. How hard is it to do yourself? What dimensions are best? Would there be a sticky on this? Thanks!

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Cylindersmith did my RedHawk just before he retired and the improvement was astounding. That prompted me into investing in a reamer to do my other dozen or so Ruger .45 Colt revolvers.
I bought the reamer set from Brownells (.4525") and a pint of Do-Drill cutting oil.
Follow the instructions and see the youtube videos on it and the first one came out just great.
A lot depends on your own ability to use tools and follow instructions. Some folks can wreck an anvil with a rubber hammer. Use a hand driven tap handle. No power tools unless you are a machinist and own a mill. I am a retired machinist with a mill and still prefer to do it by hand.
I do not do this for others !!!

Poco Oso

Buckeye
pzlehr said:
I have read past posts from years ago here and other forums that accuracy can be increased and leading eliminated by reaming the cylinder in a Blackhawk. Can one do that at home or is it best to send it off to a gunsmith? I read where Cylindersmith is retired. How hard is it to do yourself? What dimensions are best? Would there be a sticky on this? Thanks!

Cylindersmith did my wife's flattop before he retired, and it appeared to help accuracy some. If you don't want to buy a reamer for only one gun, there's a place that rents reamers. I have not used them personally but have heard from some that have, that they're pretty good to deal with. As Chuck said, most folks can easily do it themselves.
Here's the reamer rental link...

http://www.4-dproducts.com/

Good luck.

Joe S.

Hunter
Sending you a pm

pzlehr said:

992B

Bearcat
A friend reamed two 45 Colt cylinders for my old model Rugers and recut the forcing cones. Made a huge difference in accuracy and reduced leading in the barrel. I highly recommend it!! gary

veeman

Single-Sixer
I've had DougGuy do 6-7 Ruger cylinders for me, exxcellent work and fast turnaround.

5of7

Hunter
Chuck 100 yd said:
Cylindersmith did my RedHawk just before he retired and the improvement was astounding. That prompted me into investing in a reamer to do my other dozen or so Ruger .45 Colt revolvers.
I bought the reamer set from Brownells (.4525") and a pint of Do-Drill cutting oil.
Follow the instructions and see the youtube videos on it and the first one came out just great.
A lot depends on your own ability to use tools and follow instructions. Some folks can wreck an anvil with a rubber hammer. Use a hand driven tap handle. No power tools unless you are a machinist and own a mill. I am a retired machinist with a mill and still prefer to do it by hand.

I am also a retired machinist and I bought the exact same reamer from McMaster/Carr's web site.

Since my brother owns a mold making shop, I used his lathe to make a bushing to support the rear of the reamer to keep it straight and just reamed the throats by hand.

I think almost anyone can do it, but I highly recommend the bushing to keep the reamer aligned properly during the reaming process. 8)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
5of7 said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

I am also a retired machinist and I bought the exact same reamer from McMaster/Carr's web site.

Since my brother owns a mold making shop, I used his lathe to make a bushing to support the rear of the reamer to keep it straight and just reamed the throats by hand.

I think almost anyone can do it, but I highly recommend the bushing to keep the
reamer aligned properly during the reaming process. 8)

I remember your thread when you were starting your quest for a reamer.
The reamer set I got from brownells has a set of interchangable pilots that guide the reamer through the throat but a rear guide is still a good idea. It is possible to ream crooked if the reamer is not kept centered in the chamber from the rear end as well as the front.
I do NOT have time to do this for others as I allways am doing something. It's a good thing I am retired,I don't have time to work!

contender

Ruger Guru
I recently "rescued" an OM 45 that was in rough shape. It had rust pitting,, in several places,, it had a red insert cut into the front sight, and it had an aftermarket rear sight assy,,,, and it had the safety conversion.
I tore it apart,,, sent the frame & cylinder out for Cerakoting,,, (Thanks Ron!) to begin with.
When I got it back,, I put it back together,,, with proper OM parts,, and a set of original rear sights. We left the red insert in the front sight. Once it was back together,,, I too it out shooting. I got 3-1/2" groups at 20 yds. I then measured the chambers in the cylinder. Too tight. So,, I used my Manson Reamer set,,, and cut mine out to .4525. My groups shrank to 2"-2-1/2" just from that one adjustment.
Now,,, it's not my first gun to ream,, and I use the correct pilots, as well as sleeve bushings for rear support of the cutter.

If you do not have the ability,,, or the proper tools,, SEND IT TO DOUGGUY!!!!!! He does excellent work,, and his prices are very reasonable.

Rclark

Hunter
That's what I use. Cut a ring from a fired .45 case and you have a rear bushing for the reamer. I've done all mine. Easy enough. My original Vaquero (first gun I reamed) went from ~6" groups to ~3" groups. Others not so much, but reaming 'never' ever made a revolver shoot worse.

deanodog

Bearcat
I bought a reamer and pilots and did my cylinders and sold the reamer and recovered most of the original price. Something to think about. :(