Not a Ruger (XD9), but I'm sure you guys will know.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
After being completely anti-poly, I shot an XD and decided that I had to have one. Bought an XD9 tactical and I am quite happy except for one slight problem. It doesn't seem to eject brass very far. With every type of ammo, it will just trickle them a couple feet away and sometimes just shoot them about four inches straight up into the air. I've had a few stovepipes with the gun and it has failed to lock the slide open on the last round a couple of times. Now I know what your thinking, this sounds like a classic case of limp-wristing. It has happened with a death grip and occurred with multiple different shooters. I can shoot my dad's 92fs and get it to launch the brass about 10 feet away without a problem. I looked at the ejector and it seems to have a little bit of play in it. I don't think that is the problem, but I am not sure. Any of you auto guys have any suggestions? Thanks.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
Keep shooting it ... if it regularly stovepipes, it 'may' have to go back, and SA is excellent for warranty work. I'd like a nice short ejection like that ... makes it easier to find the brass. :D

How many stovepipes out of how many rounds fired ??

How many fail to lock slides out of how many rounds ??

Although some people say they will not tolerate any gun that needs a break in period, I never felt that way, and generally forgive any malfs in the first few hundred rounds or so for an auto. Clean and lube it really well, and see what happens. I've had guns that did that, but I've never had to ultimately send a gun back for minor malfs. THey all ultimately became reliable.

Try some hotter rounds ... if it changes, you're just shooting light loads.

Or if it really ticks you off, and you want a gun that works out of the box, every single time, without question, just buy a Glock and be done with it. LOL :D I have a Glock 26 that I bought about 2 years ago ... has about 3000 rounds through it, cleaned it once, and has never had a failure of ANY kind. Same results for all my buddies Glocks as well. Sure, every now and then a Glock will fail, but 90+% of them NEVER have an issue of ANY kind ... EVER. I'll take those odds anytime for an auto. I'm not promoting Glocks, either ... I've owned probably 10 different brands of autos from all the major makers, and shot tens of thousands of rounds through them, and if I had to grab a gun that I felt would NEVER fail, it would be a Glock every single time ... CZ's second. I don't really like 'em, but I gotta give 'em credit for what they are ... an ugly, blocky, black auto, that just plain works.

REV
 

Mike J

Hunter
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
3,601
Location
GA
I'm sorry I can't help. I've had a XD-40 since 2007 but it has never malfunctioned. I haven't kept count exactly but it has somewhere between 2500 & 3000 rounds through it. I would clean & lube & try again. If it doesn't clear up I'd call Springfield. I believe they will take care of you. I'd be more concerned about the stovepiping & failures to lock the slide than where the brass falls.
 

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Joined
Feb 8, 2008
Messages
2,114
Location
Chicago, IL
Put an empty mag in it and with the slide open look and see if the ejector line up parallel with the magazine.
 

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
The ejector seems to be parallel to the magazine and yes, I did buy it new. It almost seems as if the recoil spring is just too tight for the rounds I am shooting. I have had more problems with Remington UMC than anything else. Winchester white box seems to be okay, but it has stove piped a couple times with it. I think I will keep the slide locked open for a while and see if the spring will loosen up.
 

Mike J

Hunter
Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
3,601
Location
GA
The only ammo my P-944 ever malfunctioned with was Remington UMC. It only happened once but it turned me off to using it. I also saw a thread on another forum recently where an XD was blown up. It was the result of a squib load & the shooter pulling the trigger again. Remington UMC was the ammunition involved there. They were reportedly paying Springfield to repair the gun. I don't know if he got any compensation for the pain his hand felt.
 

ConradM

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
512
Weird... I can manipulate the slide on my 3.8 grabbing it with 2 fingers from under the frame... But then again they have completely different springs.
 

revhigh

Hawkeye
Joined
Aug 31, 2005
Messages
5,590
Location
PA
I agree ... Remington UMC is about the worst center fire ammo I've ever seen. I've used some in 223 rifles, but UMC handgun ammo is garbage. I don't use it because I reload for handguns, but friends have not had good luck with it. I'd rather use Wolf than UMC.

Try some Sellier and Bellot, good, cheap, ammo.

REV
 

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
ConradM":25daqabn said:
Weird... I can manipulate the slide on my 3.8 grabbing it with 2 fingers from under the frame... But then again they have completely different springs.

Yeah, there is no way I can do that. I have to use a pretty solid grip to pull the slide back.
 

tdyoung58

Bearcat
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
81
Location
Sparks, NV
WyoGunner":21x4rq4q said:
After being completely anti-poly, I shot an XD and decided that I had to have one. Bought an XD9 tactical and I am quite happy except for one slight problem. It doesn't seem to eject brass very far. With every type of ammo, it will just trickle them a couple feet away and sometimes just shoot them about four inches straight up into the air. I've had a few stovepipes with the gun and it has failed to lock the slide open on the last round a couple of times. Now I know what your thinking, this sounds like a classic case of limp-wristing. It has happened with a death grip and occurred with multiple different shooters. I can shoot my dad's 92fs and get it to launch the brass about 10 feet away without a problem. I looked at the ejector and it seems to have a little bit of play in it. I don't think that is the problem, but I am not sure. Any of you auto guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

You buy it new or used? Have one and not a issue, 100% reliable. Shoots them about 8 feet.

If it's used ya might need some new springs and a check of the extractor
 

ConradM

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
512
WyoGunner":1ymbgkld said:
ConradM":1ymbgkld said:
Weird... I can manipulate the slide on my 3.8 grabbing it with 2 fingers from under the frame... But then again they have completely different springs.

Yeah, there is no way I can do that. I have to use a pretty solid grip to pull the slide back.

Is the slide action smooth? Sorry if you've already covered this..
 

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Yeah, the slide is smooth, but the spring is just ultra stiff. I took it to the range today and it actually seems a lot better. I haven't had any jams in the last 150 rounds.
 

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
yeah, thats what i thought, but it was strange because I didn't have a problem in the first 150 rounds. Right after I changed the sear spring and the trigger spring, I started to have jams and failures to lock open on the last round. At first I assumed it was the springs I changed, but after making some calls, I learned that those have absolutely nothing to do with ejection or slide travel. I think the problem was partly due to limp wristing and the slide spring. I think that when the trigger pull dropped, I started limp wristing because it was so easy to pull. Before, I would grip the gun a little tighter because the trigger took some effort to squeeze. The slide spring is extremely tough though so if the ammo is light, like UMC, then it is even more prone to problems if limp wristing occurs. Either way, I haven't had a problem in a while, so I think it will be okay. This is my first auto, so it took some time to get used to it. I have always been a hardcore revolver guy, but I am really started to see the appeal of autos.

On a side question, what are SR9 triggers like?
 

ConradM

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
512
Kinda hit or miss. Mine is smooth, but stiff with a little over travel. Feels like It's about 2 - 3 lbs heaved than my xdm trigger.

Also, it has a very sharp break like many other DAO striker fired pistols. So much so that it makes my finger tingle after dry-fire practice. It's almost like my finger is being slapped.
 

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
Joined
May 27, 2009
Messages
193
Location
Cheyenne, Wyoming
So, I broke the gun down and gave it a complete and thorough cleaning before I went to the range and noticed there was a thick buildup of gunk on the extractor. Cleaned it off and shot 100 rounds without any jams, but did have a round eject up and to the left of the gun (?). I have started to notice how slippery the grip is and I am wondering if it is slipping in my hand during recoil causing weak extraction. I just ordered the hogue XD specific handall grip hoping it will be the ticket.
 

ConradM

Blackhawk
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
512
WyoGunner":2kwit17f said:
So, I broke the gun down and gave it a complete and thorough cleaning before I went to the range and noticed there was a thick buildup of gunk on the extractor. Cleaned it off and shot 100 rounds without any jams, but did have a round eject up and to the left of the gun (?). I have started to notice how slippery the grip is and I am wondering if it is slipping in my hand during recoil causing weak extraction. I just ordered the hogue XD specific handall grip hoping it will be the ticket.

Trade it in for an XDm :p Won't be slippery anymore.
 
Top