New Vaquero Problem Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I think there might be a problem with my new New Model Vaquero. I have yet to fire the gun. I replaced the plastic grips with a set of laminated grips when I noticed that the cylinder moves slightly and then you hear a click. I started dry firing and randomly after I pull the trigger and the hammer hits the firing pin the cylinder will move slightly and the click is heard. It is like if the cylinder is finally aligning itself and the cylinder latch is having a problem locking.. I have never had this happen with any of my single or double action revolvers before.

Is it an easy fix that I can do or should I call Ruger for a repair?

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

How are you cocking the hammer? Are you pulling the hammer back briskly or are you pulling it back slowly? Sometimes when the hammer is cocked forcefully it imparts a little bit more momentum to the cylinder to carry it a little bit further. If this continues to happen when the hammer is cocked briskly you may have a short pawl (hand). It is easy to replace a pawl, but if it is a new gun I would send it back to Ruger to have them look it over.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I called Ruger on Monday and the woman said there is a problem. Gun was picked up by UPS on Tuesday.

Does anyone know what is the procedure for repair? Will Ruger call me before it is sent back so I can be home to sign for the gun? It may be hard to believe but this is only the second gun I have ever had to send for repair in 30 years. First was a Charter Arms 44spl.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Well I got the gun back on 12/10. Hammer replaced, timing repaired and trigger pull repaired. The gun now works as it should work. The only problem I have with Ruger cs is that they did not notify me that the gun had been shipped. By pure luck I was home that day having work done on the furnace when UPS showed up.