New Scout rifle.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Otony

Blackhawk
BlkHawk73 said:
Otony said:
Does anyone else think the receiver sight looks as though it mounts in the scope base cuts? If so, I am in for one, it could be used on ANY Ruger with integral bases.

NECG has been making sights that use the scallop cuts for years.

Yup, I know, got one here! :wink: Always nice to have an alternative, especially since it may be priced better or competitively.

Bayouhunter

Single-Sixer
Sanke45 I did the same thing about to a Jungle carbine about 23 yrs ago. I ended up missing more deer than I cared to with the Peep sight. Same shaped stock but hardwood. So I got with a guy and we milled the top of the action and dropped a weaver Base into it. It is still like that to this day. And you are right it handles like a dream and I enjoyed the low mounted scope better than any other mount they had back then. I will try to get a pic one day to post I gave it to my son last year with orders not to ever get rid of it.

RonS

Single-Sixer
I hope that they come out with a flush fitting magazine, the balance point should be right about where the mag well is. I have long fingers, but that is a stretch. Plus they will need it if they want to sell any to hunters.

If the floorplate has a front screw you should be able to fabricate a floorplate screw with sling swivel for a ching sling.

It is overweight and the sight line looks high. I would want to handle one, the primary attribute of a Scout Rifle should be handyness with adequate power. If it handles well, mounts quickly and the sights align quickly it may be a decent rifle.

The Styer doesn't fully meet Col Coopers wishes either, the scope is not integrated and is supplied apart from the rifle, he wanted a scope on the order of the Styer AUG, fully integraged into the rifle/optic system.

2 dogs

Buckeye
If that is indeed an AI magazine in the rifle shown, there is a shorter 5 round version that will fit as well. The 5 rounder does not fit flush with the bottom of the rifle tho...it does protrude out about 2 inches or so but it is quite a bit more compact.

I like this rifle. I have a nicely counterfeited Jungle Carbine that I like too. I think Im gonna buy me one and go shoot it. Dont like it? I guess you can just stay at home and watch TV.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Nh Rugerman said:
This rifle does NOT make the maximum weight of the Scout concept (6.6 lbs with scope), does not appear to have allowance to mount a bipod, does not have a back-up magazine fitted to the stock, and does not have the third sling swivel to mount the Ching Sling, etc.

Just my opinion.

Weight - The Steyr weighs 6.6 lbs (according to the steyr webpage) without a scope, so it does not make that spec either (6.6 lbs with scope). With the extra 10 ounces of the Ruger over Steyr, you get quiet a bit beefier barrel that should have less barrel whip and less barrel shift from a warming barrel. The Beefed up version of the Steyr for heavier duty use (Steyr Ellite) is over 9 lbs.

Bipod - I might be wrong, but it looks like a Harris Bipod would easily attach to the sling stud on the forearm. I really do not like the intigrated bipod of the Steyr (I do not like intigrated bipods at all really, because those parts can become hard to find. Someone is always coming out with a new version of a bipod to mount to a sling stud).

Back-up magazine fitted to the stock - That is so last century. Most people in the 21st centry tend to like a single mag pouch that mounts to the offhand side of the buttstock. Tends to allow a person to customize the location of the magazine for easier access. These single mag pouches seem to be easy enough to locate.

Third sling swivel to mount the Ching Sling - True it does not have a third Sling Stud, but I suspect that is a decision on the part of Gunsite and Ruger that most would not use the third stud for a sling or anything else. You would also have the issue were some did not like the extra stud poking them in the back while they had the rifle slung on their back. For those that want to add a third sling stud, that is easy enough to do.

Also, as far as I can tell, the only steyr scout rifle that comes close to matching your specs for a steyr scout rifle apparently a special Jeff Cooper edition. Not so sure any of the other models do.

Charlie

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73 said:
southernfarmer1021 said:
Great idea, ugly stock.

The stock (minus the overly thick pad) is all i DO like about this thing.

the buttpad is designed so that you can add or remove inserts to customize the length of the rifle to fit you. I suspect this would be useful if you would like to maintain the same fit whether you are shooting durring the summer at the range in a t-shirt, or in the the woods in the middle of winter in several layers of clothing.

Charlie

Snake45

Hawkeye
I just noticed one big difference between this Ruger and the Steyr Scout.

SS barrel length is 20", the Ruger is 16.5. Makes my ears hurt just to think about it. :shock:

Sugar River

Buckeye
Jeff, thanks once again for a good write up and excellent pics.

Does anyone know if the barrel is CM or blackened SS?

Who makes the rear ghost ring and where can I buy it separately?

Pete

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Snake45 said:
I just noticed one big difference between this Ruger and the Steyr Scout.

SS barrel length is 20", the Ruger is 16.5. Makes my ears hurt just to think about it. :shock:

I had been thinking about the short barrel (mainly because of the flash suppressor and the added sound if could bring. I thought the Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor might be a good option.

Charlie

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:

Pete

Chrome-moly barrel, and the rear sight is a current Mini-14 unit. However, the bottom on the Mini sight is machined to fit the 77 receiver. it does NOT attach as the NEGC does to the scope ring notches. It is attached to the Scout with a screw.

Jeff

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Guess I'm in a minority here. There are some interesting innovations, but I do not like it at all. No interest in owning one. Hope they sell a bunch and the rest of you enjoy it.
Bfly

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
I love it! I have always felt the concept of a Scout Rifle as Col. Cooper described it to be an excellent idea. The forward mounted Scout Scope for dangerous game (as well as the two legged kind) makes absolute sense to me. The advantage of a crosshair through slightly magnified glass with both eyes open and the retention of peripheral vision is truly practical.

When Cooper noted in one of his "Cooper's Corners" articles that the Wild West Guns Marlin carbines with 16" barrels and the Ashley Outdoors (now X/S) Scout Scope mounts were just as practical as bolt actions, that caused me to buy the AO mount and a Leupold Scout Scope for my .35 Remington caliber Marlin with a 16" barrel custom cut and recrowned by my dad.

I finally got to put it to work three weeks ago in Tennessee on a wild boar. The "both eyes open" Scout Scope is amazing for dangerous game. The system works so amazingly well for acquiring the target really fast. The short barrel sure makes slinging, packing, unslinging, and handling the carbine extremely easy in heavily wooded areas.

I think these pics show the size of the gun really well:

BoarHunt078.jpg

BoarHunt092.jpg

BoarHunt066.jpg

BoarHunt048.jpg

BoarHunt034.jpg

I think the new Gunsite Ruger .308 is an outstanding execution of the Scout concept. It would be great on wild boar! Jeff, I'd love to see a pic of you, your left handed Ruger (when they make it), and a wild boar!

-Steve

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Where were you hunting in Tennessee, Steve?
I have hunted near Monterey and Crossville. Lots of good Russian hogs over that way.

Jeff

Sugar River

Buckeye
Jeff Quinn said:
Sugar River said:

Pete

Chrome-moly barrel, and the rear sight is a current Mini-14 unit. However, the bottom on the Mini sight is machined to fit the 77 receiver. it does NOT attach as the NEGC does to the scope ring notches. It is attached to the Scout with a screw.

Jeff

Well damn & blast! I was hoping we finally had an easy to use ghost ring that fits the existing receiver dovetail. :cry:

Pete

In my previous post, I pointed out that the Ruger does not quite meet up to Jeff Cooper's scout concept but I did not mean to criticize Ruger for developing the rifle and plan on purchasing at least one...I have a feeling that this is the beginning of a new line of rifles from Ruger. I own the Jeff Cooper Edition Scout Rifle from Steyr and it is the most accurate rifle that I own... I am an average rifleman but can shoot sub-MOA with the rifle. The most critical component of any rifle is the trigger....the trigger determines how well the rifle will shoot, I would love to hear from the folks who have test fired the Ruger Scout regarding the trigger...anything new there?

Charger22

Bearcat
I want one. A great way to make a scout rifle and the team of designers should be proud. Should be a sweet shooting rifle and more accurate than the Mini-14 I owned a few years ago.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ok, so when's the rant about mag prices start?

Black oxide steel, 5-shot .308 caliber magazine for the Scout Rifle.
Unit Price: $64.00

[img[http://shopruger.com/images/90352_L.jpg[/img]

Black oxide steel, 10-shot .308 caliber magazine for the Scout Rifle.
Unit Price: $70.00

90353_L.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
BlkHawk73 said:
Ok, so when's the rant about mag prices start?
I think it just did. :shock: :shock: :shock:

BTW, I was reading an article about Alaskan rifles the other day and apparently the M77 is very well liked and respected there because of its high reliability a long way from nowhere. I'm guessing this new Scout will be VERY popular up north.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
It appears that the Magazines are made by Accurate Mag.
http://www.accurate-mag.com/
Accurate Mag lists the cost of the 5 and 10 round magazines as the same as those sold by Ruger. It appears that Accuracy International Magazines will work, but they are slightly more expensive. People apparently do not like the thicker front of the Accuracy International Magazines.

It also appears that C Products makes magazines that will work as well. The 10 round magazines are about $20 cheaper than from either Ruger or Accurate Mag. $57.95 is still a bit spendy though.

http://www.accurate-mag.com/
http://store.cproductsllc.com/Bolt-Action-Magazines_c15.htm

Charlie