New Ruger owner -- with a question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

straycat

Bearcat
Hi all, im new here, relatively new to firearms too. I bought a 30 30 marlin a short time ago and just picked up a 10 22 Ruger Carbine last week.

the Ruger shoots very well for me, 200 rounds so far and no hickups.
I installed a Tasco Red Dot scope on it, love that.

here's the question.

My Son (14) and I are both shooting the Ruger. We are both right eye dominant.

I can group shots within an inch or two around the bulls eye at 30 yards, my son however, groups them 4" to the right of the bulls eye -- consistently.

any ideas on why this is? Its not the gun, and Its not the scope (did it before we put the RedDot on. Any tips ?

thanks

9x19

Hunter
No two people align an optical sight the same way. Differences in eyes, etc.

That's why they put adjustments on them. Just count the clicks and you can set / reset the sight for either one of you.

straycat

Bearcat
Thanks

I'd just assumedthe adjustments were to "Zero" the scope and once Zero'd it was good for everyone.

I now know better. thanks for the information. Looks like a good excuse to get another 22. :D

Even with a traditional scope point of impact can vary between individuals, only usually not as much.

You hit the nail on the head though, a very good excuse to get another 10/22. It is more fun shooting side by side then waiting for turn as well.

street

Hunter
It appears that your son is jerking the trigger. Get him to squeeze the trigger. Try that and see it that helps

Ruber

Single-Sixer
Next time you go shooting, set the rifle in something steady, try this with it unloaded first. Get it sighted on the target then move your cheek slowly away from the stock without moving the rifle and watch where the dot goes.

Now, if you are like me, my face has a bit more to it than my son's. Think about how much that can move the shot off target. Typically that shift is less pronounced the more you go up in price for the scope. Some of the higher end scopes really can be zeroed in for many folks.

straycat

Bearcat
Thanks for all the tips/advice guys, I appreciate it.

will take heed to all of it.

and Ive already notified my wife that the only answer is another .22 :)

straycat

Bearcat
:)

not likely, at least not yet.

firearms in general are very new to my family, my son and I are the only ones remotely interested at the moment.

my wife is somewhat afraid of them, so my first task is to get her comfortable and familiar and safe.

we'll take it from there, but im not holding my breath

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Yes, I'd say a second 10/22 should be in the family future. As noted, each person has a different way of holding things.
Another thought. Have either of you considered a class on shooting from a certified instructor? Since y'all are new to shooting, it's EASIER to learn good habits now, rather than develop bad ones to have to fix later.

As for the wife who is afraid of them.

I'm a longtime NRA Women On Target clinic instructor. My wonderful better half is the coordinator. (She actually turned down the job of the national WOT director for the NRA.) We have taught a LOT of "scared" ladies to shoot. Do NOT force her into shooting. Do NOT put any kind of recoiling firearm in her hands if she wants to try shooting. Start with a 22 LR caliber only. And, by all means, if you can, get her in a ladies only WOT clinic where she will get good proper safe introduction to shooting. She may surprise you if you go that direction.

Tx gun runner

Single-Sixer
Scope parallax could be one problem

http://www.eabco.com/Reports/report01.html

but I think the difference is in the way hold it , like sighting your gun on the bench and them pick it up and shooting it off hand and the POA changes .