NEW Ruger American Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I had no idea Ruger was coming out with this rifle - I will probably wind up with a .22 mag with open sights for a camp rifle that is also carried in a canoe floating the rivers in SE Oklahoma. I just hope the sights are good quality - I have a Marlin 25M that I planned to use for that purpose, but was unable to get the rifle sighted in with the factory sights. That is the only criticism I have of the rifle, because it has served well with a Japanese 4X Tasco scope for many years.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I have a question:

What does the rear sling swivel stud screw into? I have seen pictures where it is used to swap out the stock inserts, but I am concerned about how many times that can be done before threads start to wear. My assumption is that there is a metal insert molded into the stock inserts. Is that correct?

Thanks,

SR

wolfee

Blackhawk
TnTnTn, thanks for the chrono data. I just bought a non cataloged 77/22mag with an 18.5 barrel and experienced similar results. I am not sure the length of the Savage we compared it to but it was either 22 or 24. With Winchester fmj, the shorty Ruger posted a 7fps average faster string. And, this is the most accurate Ruger rimfire I have ever owned--by far. I am convinced the shorter, stiffer barrels are the way to go with a rimfire unless you are shooting iron sights and want a long sight radius.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Bearcat, the sights are decent, the front is a yellow green fiber optic insert and the rear is the standard Ruger flip down sight they have used for decades. If I were going to use irons I would get an adjustable receiver mounted peep sight to mount on the grooves on the rear receiver bridge.

South ridge- the rear sling stud has a machine screw thread that screws into a captive nut in the replaceable stock module. There shouldn't be any problem with multiple take downs or exchanges.

Wolfee, yeah the barrel diameter is ~.660 at the muzzle so that should be pretty stiff. Hope that helps accuracy; everybody wants a shooter and I am confident it will be fine for coyotes at .22WMR ranges.

I like the way Ruger handled this introduction-guns were available immediately when announced. I have an American in 22-250 also and have killed one coyote with it thus far. In fact called one in this am and had a 2 minute 80 yd stare down before he turned and disappeared in the long grass. Of course I had the rifle pointing the other direction and he came in to my off side so I couldn't move without spooking him. But Ruger has brought some real value to the table with these Americans.

huntsman22

Blackhawk
I guess I'm late to the party.....

IMG_0521_zps52d54878.jpg

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
TnTnTn,
The Ruger folks are really good on handling new introductions now. Gone are the days when they would into a new gun, and it not be in production. They have some guns being made now that have been in production for months, and not yet introduced. They want guns available when the product is announced, which is very wise. If a customer walks into a gun store and asks for the new Ruger American Rimfire, if the dealer can't get one, he will sell the customer the Marlin, Savage, Remington or whatever else is in stock. Ruger would lose a sale. Same with their 1911. Any dealer will have a case full of 1911 pistols, and will make sure the customer leaves with one, even if he can't get an SR1911. If the guns are available, the customer gets what he wants, and everyone is happy. It can be frustrating for fellows like me that know something really cool is in the pipeline. Not that I want so much to tell about it, but I just want one to play with.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Nice looking setup Huntsman-I assume it is a magnum? You have a lot of nice firearms as I have seen your posts on other forums. We have similar tastes evidently.

Yeah Jeff it is very frustating to see a manufacturer announce a great new firearm but they only farm out a few preproduction models to the writers and gun rags. By the time the product becomes available, if ever!, one is out if the notion or has purchased a similar substitute. Im sure corporate secrets about new products are difficult to maintain but it was nice to buy the American rimfire two! days after I received an email from Ruger about its introduction.

JFB

Hunter
Jeff Quinn said:
..It can be frustrating for fellows like me that know something really cool is in the pipeline..

I know you are sworn to secretcy, but could you let me know
should I have a muzzle threaded or If I wait a few months there will be a 1/2-28-.4 threaded muzzle model?

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
JFB said:
Jeff Quinn said:
..It can be frustrating for fellows like me that know something really cool is in the pipeline..

should I have a muzzle threaded or If I wait a few months there will be a 1/2-28-.4 threaded muzzle model?

I have no knowledge either way of an offering with a threaded barrel. I would like to see one offered, and I asked the question, but was told there were no immediate plans to do so. However, I think that if a distributor like Lipsey's or Davidson's ordered a batch of them, that Ruger would produce them. This is only my opinion, based upon speculation only.

Jeff

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
Jeff Quinn said:
JFB said:
Jeff Quinn said:

I have no knowledge either way of an offering with a threaded barrel. I would like to see one offered, and I asked the question, but was told there were no immediate plans to do so. However, I think that if a distributor like Lipsey's or Davidson's ordered a batch of them, that Ruger would produce them. This is only my opinion, based upon speculation only.

Jeff

Jeff, what do you think the chances are of stainless versions? Ruger does seem to love their "K" guns!

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I finally got a chance to handle one at a LGS last night. I will echo the sentiments of many here, in that it feels a bit more 'solid' than the slightly-lower-priced Savage and Marlin alternatives. Much of this is probably due to the magazine. I despise magazines that extend below the stock.

The compact model felt really good to me.

Now it's a matter of cartridge selection. I'm leaning toward the compact WMR.

SR

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
LGS had the 22 mag today. It also had a broken sight blade as I have seen more than once on 10/22s. Has to be the most chintzy rear sight in existence.

Gene

Single-Sixer
Jeff Quinn said:
JPGLSG said:
"Quiet or other subsonic ammunition that does not have the power to cycle the action on a semi-auto. Another would be in jurisdictions where a semi-auto is not allowed. Another would be where, for whatever reason, you do not want empty cases with fingerprints on them lying at the scene of the..............I mean lying on the ground."

I regress Jeff...you are right, my mind has been changed. I've got all kinds of 10/22, 10 & 25 rd mags that will work in this bolt action gun. I'll support Ruger and add one to the nest. Thank God I live in a State where what you have does not matter.

You can't have too many! I know I have more 22 rifles than I need. I think I have four Marlin Model 39 leverguns, a Marlin semi-auto, a few 10/22s, and a few Savage bolts. Also have some odd stuff, like a GSG, an ATI Stg 44, and a couple of AR-15 style 22s. They sure are a lot of fun, and the 22 LR is an extremely efficient cartridge. I can do ninety-five percent of what I need to do with a rifle, using a good 22 LR.

To me, this one's a "MUST HAVE"! I totally agree with you Jeff that you can't have too many .22's and I prefer a bolt action over a semi-auto, (don't get me wrong, I like them too! :D ), as I like shooting sub-sonics. Good on Ruger and now if I can only find one!

shatolang

Bearcat
Just picked up the compact 22lr version and love it. Own multiple 10/22's and this one feels great, especially because it shares the same mags and so far reliability and fun factor. Ill repeat what others keep saying, it just feels like a quality rimfire rifle. Love the size, feel, function fit and finish. Already comes with a great bull barrel and grippy, tough, good looking stock. Although I think the williams front sight is perect, but i'd like to change the rear to a ghost ring style sight, like the williams on my 10/22's. The only one I think would work the best with the oem williams front sight is the skinner peep sight I have on the henry lever youth. Any one else have any suggestions? Try anything themselves?

Latest posts