huntsman22

Blackhawk
IMG_0635_zpsbfcde3e3.jpg

IMG_0626_zps5484dc58.jpg

SR1911Fan

Bearcat
Fellow AAR Owners, my first range test.

Trigger spring removed, pull now 1-5/8 #
Action screws torqued to 12"# This setting may be too low. It's just where I decided to start.
Bore polished w/ J&B. 12 slow, careful strokes
2 each Weaver #16's lapped to match contour of AAR receiver
Burris Signature Zee Rings (low)
Weaver CKT15 15X (Japan) Duplex reticle
+ & - .020 inserts sideways in rear ring to bring scope to intersect w/ the bore (within 8 clicks @ 25 yards)

weather: 85 degrees, wind 12-15 MPH switching 180 degrees every few minutes.

The footprint of the firing pin is small! Every round went bang; but I would still like to see a bigger pin footprint.

First off, NONE of this! The "Keyboard Shooters" can always outshoot us simple mortals

KeyboardShootera_zps1c4446da.jpg

You get my setup and my groups, the good, the bad and the ugly. No cherry picking. This is only the beginning for the AAR
Start shooting @ 25 yards.

This is how I shoot. I have no idea how the "Experts" shoot.

AARd_zps67c88a8e.jpg

AARa_zps5961db6c.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%

5 rounds to finish final zero, then I put 25 rounds of fed automatch (old lot)through the AAR as fast as possible.
[img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%20AAR/AARAuto25a_zps7614c1a0.jpg
The more rounds I put through the ARR, the closer to center the shots moved. Either the bore was slicking up some more, OR, the AAR just likes a lot of bore dressing. Or???? Any guesses out there.

First 5 shot, 25 yard group automatch (as I dodge the wind watching the flag & probe do a disco dance)
AARAuto25b_zps724f30ee.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group automatch
AARAuto25c_zps569e6d73.jpg

Barrel cleaned w/ patches, brush & solvent. 10 shots of Golden Eagle match to dress the bore (no pic saving pic count).
First 5 shot, 25 yard group Golden Eagle match
AARGolden25b_zpsc9ade321.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group Golden Eagle match
AARGolden25a_zps6f2928e5.jpg

again, more rounds down the bore, things tighten up. dressing?

Barrel cleaned w/ patches, brush & solvent. 10 shots of S&B Surplus (from 1982, The stuff AIM had last month) to dress the bore (no pic saving pic count).

First 5 shot, 25 yard group, S&B
AARSB25b_zps6ae61e99.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group, S&B
AARSB25c_zps7160b906.jpg

Third 5 shot, 25 yard group, S&B
AARSB25d_zpsdf12cd3e.jpg

Barrel cleaned w/ patches, brush & solvent. first 6 shots of Eley Club were so nice, I used that as barrel dressing, then shot a second 5 shot group

First 6 shot, 25 yard group Eley Club
AAREClub25a_zps2d961f42.jpg

Second 5 shot, 25 yard group Eley Club
AAREleyClubL_zpsf81f2330.jpg

I was out of time, but I moved target back to 50 yards
First 5 shot, 50 yards group Eley Club
AAREClubc_zps58eb391d.jpg

Second 5 shot, 50 yard group Eley Club
AAREClub50b_zps137f8ac1.jpg

Third 5 shot, 50 yard group Eley Club
AAREClub50a_zpsebdb859b.jpg

Not too bad for a first outing! Still a lot of work to do! I have to increase torque on the action screws. I need some better wind conditions. or lack of wind (fat chance that :D) I think the barrel is slowing slicking up.

Best Regards, RS1911Fan

SR1911Fan

Bearcat
MikeJinVT said:
My problem up here in Vermont is that the only two places that have had them are getting $329 and $339.

Mike

I feel your pain! Out of 6 gun stores in town; only one had an AAR, a 22 in, .22LR, Which was what I wanted. He had it @ MSRLP, $329.00. He gave me a $4.00 discount. I have NEVER, EVER paid even close to retail for a gun! :shock: :oops:

Aw well, I take comfort in all the guns I bought on the cheap! :wink: :D

Gene

Single-Sixer
MikeJinVT said:
Huntsman, very nice work on that stock. My problem up here in Vermont is that the only two places that have had them are getting $329 and $339.

Mike

I hope it's okay to let folks know this but I ordered my AR compact online at budsgunshop.com. $257.00 which included shipping. I know some folks don't like Bud's but I've never had a problem with them.

The only thing is they are really slow in shipping nowadays as I'm sure they're being slammed with orders. 11 days since I ordered and they haven't shipped yet. Anyway, as soon as it gets to my FFL dealer, I have to wait an additional 10 days here in the wonderful state of Calif. Luckily, I'm a patient guy but can't wait to check this one out! :)

By the way, nice report SR1911fan!

SR1911Fan

Bearcat
Jeff Quinn said:
Mr. 5of7,
We are told that the 17 HMR version will be here shortly.

jeff

Jeff, are you allowed to say if the .17HMR version will have a Varmint weigh barrel without sights? Or will the barrel be the same as the .22 LR version with sights?

Regards,

9x19

Hunter
SR1911Fan said:
Jeff, are you allowed to say if the .17HMR version will have a Varmint weigh barrel without sights? Or will the barrel be the same as the .22 LR version with sights?

Regards,

The American Rimfire manual lists part numbers for standard and compact barrels in .17HMR... wish they'd also make a .17HM2

mag318

Bearcat
Rumrunner said:
Mag318,
Which Farm King. Galesburg didn't have any when I was home, but I have been gone since Sunday. I ended up buying one on GunBroker. I got my SR22 at the Monmouth FK.

Rumrunner, the Galesburg Farm King has them. I was in there yesterday 2 Oct and they still had a full size in 22 LR. Pekin Guns also has a good supply of them in both calibres.

mag318, Thanks. Went there yesterday. I had already bought one from GunBroker though.

Picked up my compact model yesterday. Waiting on Weaver mounts from Ruger, and I did a trade for the longer stock modules in the classified section. I am pretty impressed so far, with looks and feel of it. Will adjust the trigger down tonight, and have a Burris 2x7 I will install as soon as I get my other items.

rman

Bearcat
SR1911Fan said:

Action screws torqued to 12"# This setting may be too low. It's just where I decided to start.
+ & - .020 inserts sideways in rear ring to bring scope to intersect w/ the bore (within 8 clicks @ 25 yards)

The footprint of the firing pin is small! Every round went bang; but I would still like to see a bigger pin footprint.

First off, NONE of this! The "Keyboard Shooters" can always outshoot us simple mortals

You get my setup and my groups, the good, the bad and the ugly. No cherry picking.
Best Regards, RS1911Fan

RS1911Fan - great report! I especially like the picture of the "Keyboard Shooters" setup. There seem to be a lot of those shooters on the internet. :roll:

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
I'm really liking what I'm seeing with these, and hope Ruger hurries up and releases stainless versions!

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't care for synthetic stocks but I handled one in a local shop and was very impressed with its build quality. Very nicely machined and finished. Marlin and Savage are in trouble.

Gene

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
I don't care for synthetic stocks but I handled one in a local shop and was very impressed with its build quality. Very nicely machined and finished. Marlin and Savage are in trouble.

Yeah Craig, I got rid of a Marlin XT-22TR bolt action that I bought new last year that had the rear sight cut crooked into the barrel and had other quality control issues. Had to sell it at a big loss because of the QC issues.

On a happier note, I just got to visit, (10 day waiting period here in good ol' Calif.), my Ruger AR Compact and it really is a quality piece! I think Ruger really has a winner here.

bentblade

Single-Sixer
Blackhawk
Why Weaver #16s and not #12s like Ruger suggests??

rman said:
SR1911Fan said:

You get my setup and my groups, the good, the bad and the ugly. No cherry picking.
Best Regards, RS1911Fan

RS1911Fan - great report! I especially like the picture of the "Keyboard Shooters" setup. There seem to be a lot of those shooters on the internet. :roll:

wproct

Single-Sixer
rugnelli said:
I saw both sizes today. The small size in .22LR and large size in .22Mag had a dull metal finish while the large .22LR had polished blue. Is that typical?
I have a full sized Ruger American Rimfire in 22 magnum, and it is a polished blue finish.

Wild Geese 1

Bearcat
rman said:
SR1911Fan said:

Burris Signature Zee Rings (low),

Best Regards, RS1911Fan

Before the internet, I called them Gun Store Commandos, now I call them Keyboard Commandos.