NEW Ruger American Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
"Quiet or other subsonic ammunition that does not have the power to cycle the action on a semi-auto. Another would be in jurisdictions where a semi-auto is not allowed. Another would be where, for whatever reason, you do not want empty cases with fingerprints on them lying at the scene of the..............I mean lying on the ground."

I regress Jeff...you are right, my mind has been changed. I've got all kinds of 10/22, 10 & 25 rd mags that will work in this bolt action gun. I'll support Ruger and add one to the nest. Thank God I live in a State where what you have does not matter.

6gun

Hunter
Jeff Quinn said:
JPGLSG said:
Out West....You missed my point. In the baby boomer's world ( and a load of us gun buyers ) with my two 10/22, what and who is their market, and why would I get a 22LR bolt action. I guess I am just getting to old and set in my ways.................

I have several 10/22 rifles, but there are times when a bolt-action might be preferred. One would be using CCI Quiet or other subsonic ammunition that does not have the power to cycle the action on a semi-auto. Another would be in jurisdictions where a semi-auto is not allowed. Another would be where, for whatever reason, you do not want empty cases with fingerprints on them lying at the scene of the..............I mean lying on the ground. :)

Thats one reason I carry a revolver instead of a semi-auto no brass left behind. :lol:

ECVMatt

Bearcat
The older I get the more I like shooting .22's. I tend to like to shoot/plink with my 10/22's and hunt with a bolt action. I have been waiting for a rifle like this to come a long for a while. I will buy one or maybe two.... Using the regular 10/22 just puts this so far above the other budget .22's.

Think how many BA's Marlin and Savage sell each year; I think Ruger has a real winner for us BA fans.

t-reg

Single-Sixer
Can't wait for the 17HMR to be out!

Been hem-hawing around, Savage or Marlin, Marlin or Savage.

That question is now resolved.

ETA: Is it here yet? Gunna be a long wait.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
JPGLSG said:
"Quiet or other subsonic ammunition that does not have the power to cycle the action on a semi-auto. Another would be in jurisdictions where a semi-auto is not allowed. Another would be where, for whatever reason, you do not want empty cases with fingerprints on them lying at the scene of the..............I mean lying on the ground."

I regress Jeff...you are right, my mind has been changed. I've got all kinds of 10/22, 10 & 25 rd mags that will work in this bolt action gun. I'll support Ruger and add one to the nest. Thank God I live in a State where what you have does not matter.

You can't have too many! I know I have more 22 rifles than I need. I think I have four Marlin Model 39 leverguns, a Marlin semi-auto, a few 10/22s, and a few Savage bolts. Also have some odd stuff, like a GSG, an ATI Stg 44, and a couple of AR-15 style 22s. They sure are a lot of fun, and the 22 LR is an extremely efficient cartridge. I can do ninety-five percent of what I need to do with a rifle, using a good 22 LR.

jimd441

Blackhawk
I agree with the posts where the poster wishes a nice walnut stock was an option.

Jim

t-reg

Single-Sixer
That switcheroo stock is a neat and useful set-up.

Wonder if they will make the system available for CF's too?

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I normally despise plastic stocks.

However, the concept of being able to switch between a full-length stock and a youth-sized stock by just swapping inserts is appealing to me because I have three kids (one of which has recently started shooting). By the looks of things it would be very easy to swap back and forth in a single range trip. This looks like a good idea.

Like many, I like the idea of using 10/22 mags. When you think of it that one 'little' invention has probably made Ruger more money than anything else over the years. Flush-fitting, 10-rounds, and ultra-reliable. So simple, yet so powerful.

SR

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Fondled one of these at Cabelas yesterday. They had all four versions for 289.99. I was impressed and it took all my willpower not to take a 22 mag home. Best way to describe it is that it feels like a real rifle. Nothing cheap about it except the price. Way ahead of any other enter level rimfires especially in fit and finish. Only minor issue was the magazine seemed a bit difficult to remove. If anyone wants a rimfire bolt action I would take a real long look at the ruger even if you have a lot more money to spend.

RonS

Single-Sixer
This will get a second look once someone makes a semi inlet walnut stock blank for it or a finished walnut stock. I have never had a .22 Magnum, this would make a nice one. I already have a 60's 10-22 and an Anschutz in .22lr but I have never had a magnum. Make a nice combo with a Single Six.

hutchman

Blackhawk
Whether I like it or not is immaterial. Thanks to the Quinns for the review and I for one applaud your honor. A man is nothing without honor......

jjas

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner said:
Hey Boge,
Do you know where they started their serial number at. I'm guessing 10,000 or maybe 11,000.

I just purchased one and the serial # is 830-10***. BTW, I took it out today and shot it with just open sights. So far so good. It functioned perfectly, the trigger is good, the magazine dropped in and out easily, and the overall fit and finish appears well done.

I'll likely scope it @ some point, but I enjoyed bouncing cans around with the open sights.

TnTnTn

Single-Sixer
Thanks Jeff for the excellent review. I bought a compact .22WMR version a few days ago at the lgs. I wanted the compact magnum version for a coyote calling rifle as there are times in TN when we can't use a centerfire for coyotes. I shot it with the irons when I got home and it functioned/shot well; Weaver bases are on order so I can scope it and check the real world hunting accuracy. The compact version is a joy to carry as it is so light and handy and of course the 9 rnd box mag is perfect. I shot it over a chronograph comparing it to a 22" barreled Marlin and the short barrel doesn't give up any velocity-what's not to like. Ruger has hit another home run imo.

photo_zpsefe60105.jpg

photo_zpsd75fa1ee.jpg