NEW Ruger American Bolt-Action Rimfire Rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Gene

Single-Sixer
Gene said:
Jeff Quinn said:
JPGLSG said:
"Quiet or other subsonic ammunition that does not have the power to cycle the action on a semi-auto. Another would be in jurisdictions where a semi-auto is not allowed. Another would be where, for whatever reason, you do not want empty cases with fingerprints on them lying at the scene of the..............I mean lying on the ground."

I regress Jeff...you are right, my mind has been changed. I've got all kinds of 10/22, 10 & 25 rd mags that will work in this bolt action gun. I'll support Ruger and add one to the nest. Thank God I live in a State where what you have does not matter.

You can't have too many! I know I have more 22 rifles than I need. I think I have four Marlin Model 39 leverguns, a Marlin semi-auto, a few 10/22s, and a few Savage bolts. Also have some odd stuff, like a GSG, an ATI Stg 44, and a couple of AR-15 style 22s. They sure are a lot of fun, and the 22 LR is an extremely efficient cartridge. I can do ninety-five percent of what I need to do with a rifle, using a good 22 LR.

To me, this one's a "MUST HAVE"! I totally agree with you Jeff that you can't have too many .22's and I prefer a bolt action over a semi-auto, (don't get me wrong, I like them too! :D ), as I like shooting sub-sonics. Good on Ruger and now if I can only find one!

Found a compact model .22LR and ordered it! Hope someone will make a nice peep sight for it soon. I love peeps and I think I'm going to love this rifle!

wolfee

Blackhawk
"Hope someone will make a nice peep sight for it soon"

+1 to that, Gene. I'll do the same. And, probably 2 or 3 goofy scopes, red dot sights, tripods, slings, etc. I love these kinds of rifles for all the junk you can buy to hang on them. btw, the Williams universal air gun/rimfire model seems to be a fit but will probably need a little higher front sight.

Gene

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
"Hope someone will make a nice peep sight for it soon"

+1 to that, Gene. I'll do the same. And, probably 2 or 3 goofy scopes, red dot sights, tripods, slings, etc. I love these kinds of rifles for all the junk you can buy to hang on them. btw, the Williams universal air gun/rimfire model seems to be a fit but will probably need a little higher front sight.

You got that right wolfee! :) Do you have a part number for that Williams universal peep sight? It looks like there's more than one. Thanks!

wolfee

Blackhawk
Gene, the more I look at the receiver, the more it looks like the peep would mount too far forward if you use the grooves to mount. Here is the Williams that would be a drop in fit though. They have the same thing for higher line of sight as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319728/williams-fp-gr-receiver-peep-sight-airguns-22-rifles-with-dovetail-receivers-and-low-line-of-sights-aluminum-black

huntsman22

Blackhawk
Rainy day day project. Trigger job and paint. Was going to black web it too, but my only can was bad....

IMG_0560_zps83305044.jpg

IMG_0559_zps46d4a0c1.jpg

IMG_0558_zps64f098bb.jpg

IMG_0555_zpsadd52d60.jpg

Gene

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
Gene, the more I look at the receiver, the more it looks like the peep would mount too far forward if you use the grooves to mount. Here is the Williams that would be a drop in fit though. They have the same thing for higher line of sight as well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/319728/williams-fp-gr-receiver-peep-sight-airguns-22-rifles-with-dovetail-receivers-and-low-line-of-sights-aluminum-black

Thanks for that wolfee!

huntsman22,
Very NICE!

Can someone please direct me to the thread that shows how to remove the trigger spring or do whatever to make the trigger lighter and smoother on the American Rimfire? Thanks!

woods-walker

Single-Sixer
The Rifle is starting to grow on me though I have not handled one yet. I like the concept for use as a utility rifle but then a stainless offering would suit my needs better. I could make do as is.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
Well I love the one i picked up.
I went to a gun store a couple days after they were introduced and asked about it and the guys there actually laughed at me and ridiculed me for asking about it. I have been a customer since the place opened and was pretty much offended by how these guys were talking to me. So, I went down to another shop that I have done business with but they are hit and miss in terms of prices. They had one for a fairly good price and i picked it up. Next time I see the owner of that first ship I mentioned, I am going to let him know that he missed a sale due to his employees misconduct.

Now to the rifle!
Sights were off six inches to the left when i first got it but its good to go now, never have bought a gun where the sights were on out of the box. I like the firesight but wish it was protected. I intend on using this rifle in the thick woods and i am somewhat concerned with it getting knocked. I am impressed with the trigger and overall feel of the gun; stock fits really nice when shouldered. The bluing was not spectacular as it was darker about an inch and a half past the crown than the rest of the barrel. I dont expect it to have an emasculate fit and finish for a rifle at this price point though so i am not knocking it too much for that. I didnt get it to look at. I have too many pretty guns that i am afraid to take out in to the briar and this one fits the bill perfect for that.

So now i am looking to scope it, any suggestions?
I am eyeballing the Nikon Prostaff EFR that has a parallax that can be dialed down to 10 yards or so 3-9x40 and that new Bushnell AR/22 that is also 3-9x40 and has the same objective adjustments but is a side focus.

I am a Leupold guy but i dont have the cash to stick one of those on it right now so i am looking at these two scopes. Any of you folks have experience with them? Probably going to shoot with it 70 yards and under...
I hear more positive things from Nikon than Bushnell in terms of glass clarity but these are not their top of the line scopes.

by the way, Shatolang is right, "if you handle one you will own it."

wd4ins

Bearcat
I started using the Nikon scopes lately. I have them on all my Savage MKII's and love them. I don't think you can go wrong with them for the price.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
my first group was 6 inches to the left but it was tight and i fixed that with drifting the sight over.
the rifle seems plenty of accurate to me

jjas

Single-Sixer
BayouBob said:
I'm glad to read the reviews of the rifle's lack of accuracy; saves me $300.

I'm not sure where you read that, but all I've read are positive reviews up to now. The rifle I own will consistently print groups about the size of a quarter @ 50 yards.

For a new rifle, straight out of the box, retailing for $259/$299 I'd say that's not too bad.

mag318

Bearcat
I looked at one of these at Farm King ($279.00) standard in 22 LR and was impressed. You never know whether you'll like any firearm until you can actually have one in hand. I have to say this rifle impressed me as it felt great and is definitely typical Ruger quality. I agree with Jeff that you can never own to many guns. After Farm King I went to my local shop who has several on order and his price was $236.00 so I'm on his list for one when they arrive. For that kind of money you can't go wrong.