New Model Old Model Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sharps40

Buckeye
Well, got my first New Model Old Model Blackhawk.

I'll have to get pics up. Its the 50th Anniversary 357 flattop. Basically the late 50s size and shape with the current guts.

On the old school side it has Flat top, smaller frame, Steel Micro rear sight, 4 5/8", Steel Ejector Rod Housing, Steel grip XR3 (Colt size/shape/length of pull) frame, checkered rubber grips and faux ivory grips.

On the modern side it has internal lock and cartridge positioning, and the retractable pawl.

Looks great, just fits right in the De Santis cross draw holster.

High polish black and absolutely the smoothest and best fit of any Blackhawk I ever laid my boogerhooks on. Looking forward to shooting it. Something must be said for the new model guts, they are I think much better than the oft touted Old Model guts. Overall its a better gun and lots more refined.

Unfortunately, it has an entire novel on the barrel and the dates on top are gold filled. Nothing worse on a gun that a book and filled lettering. It also has transfer bar pinch.

Once the cylinder index assembly, retractable pawl and internal lock are removed and the transfer bar pinch corrected it'll be perfect....cept for that dayum gold lettering.

Its heavier than an old model 3 screw too. Plan for now it to simply carry it and have some fun. At $350 for LNIB I'm pleased.

Cholo

Staff member
Sharps40 said:
Something must be said for the new model guts, they are I think much better than the oft touted Old Model guts. Overall its a better gun and lots more refined.
Sharps40 said:
Unfortunately, it has an entire novel on the barrel and the dates on top are gold filled. Nothing worse on a gun that a book and filled lettering. It also has transfer bar pinch.
Sharps40 said:
Once the cylinder index assembly, retractable pawl and internal lock are removed and the transfer bar pinch corrected it'll be perfect....cept for that dayum gold lettering.
When you take care of all of that $&%! it will be darn near perfect compared to an Old Model :mrgreen:

I just got a kick out of the way you posted it, Sharps40. I have both and prefer the OM's. To hunt with I prefer the NM's. I have NM's that equal or better my OM's actions but not without at least some spring work.

Your NM is heavier because it has a steel grip frame. The cheesy gold lettering should come right out with some Hoppe's and your wife's toothbrush. I think you got a smokin' deal on it! :D

Sharps40

Buckeye
Thas a dayum good idea there cause she don't ever use her toothbrush anyway! :)

Sharps40

Buckeye
First thing to do on this New Model Old Model is try out the free spin conversion. Cylinder movement unimpeded in both directions for loading and unloading. Simply remove the pin, spring and set screw that index the cylinder for loading and unloading. I doubt I'll be putting these parts back in the gun so they go in the box with the lock keys and factory grips. And, after trying the free spin, I doubt I'll like it either.......I already know how to load and unload and don't need the help of the extra parts, the old model did well enough with its following pawl.

The cylinder indexing plunger, spring and screw is removed from the back side. Here they sit on the Altimont Ivory Grips and you see the hole at 5 oclock where the CIP used to ride against the bottom of the cylinder ratchet.

vwrSCEl.jpg

See the bright spot at 12 o'clock on the grip frame? No machined groove there. What that tells me is that all the worries about cutting a matching mortise in a new grip frame for the new model retracting pawl is unneeded worry. (some grip frames have a mortise for the foot of the retracting pawl, this one does not.) So, simply select your new grip frame and if you want to retain a retracting pawl for free spin function, fit the dogleg of the pawl to the grip frame and don't sweat making a mortise in the grip frame. Too simple. If you don't want the free spin function, either reinstall the CIP or try installing a legless pawl. I'll probably install a legless pawl if I don't' like free spin in order to preserve the original parts of the gun in the gun box.

NTdYjjv.jpg

The grip frame is XR3/Colt style, closer to the trigger. It'll need a new mainspring seat to eliminate the lock which will never get used. I know, Ruger put the locks in dryers with bricks and steel bits and dynamite and acid and my wife complaining at em at full volume and none of the locks broke....that's nice, the lock will go in the pretty red box anyway.

bS37BX4.jpg

And if you look at the photo above and then here below, the XR3/Colt steel grip frame has plenty o meat for smalling it up later if ya got a roundbutt or birds head itch. Here is the grip panel pattern from Mr. Belly Gun. The Altamont ivory grips are cute, the factory checkered black plastic is tacky, wood is best I think. For now, the XR3/Colt shape is fine as is.

FXpjwmE.jpg

Not bad....a bit long, but almost okay and I could live with it...but the front sight is like all rugers, THICK. It does need a Bisley hammer....perhaps a nice stainless halfcock model.

svLRrwN.jpg

The cylinder latch needs work on its top and forward curve. The cylinder line is already bright and the front curve of the latch is also marking the locking mortises on the front edge.

gqv2xAt.jpg

I hate filled lettering. I wonder if it'll wear off any time soon? Prolly not.

90AFRin.jpg

Nicely, the cylinder pin of the New Model Old Model mimics the function of a true 3 screw.....that is, fully removeable without having to unscrew and detach the ejector rod assembly. Good for cleaning and maintenance. And, no wing on the cylinder pin so you can install it without worrying about whether its turned too far around and going to scratch the barrel or bind about half way in or out.

OJNP6So.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
A bit of hoppes and a toothbrush and the gold glop is gone. The lettering will get covered by the long ramp that will be going on the barrel. I'll have to polish off the manual on the side.

gqvjonj.jpg

The free spin feature is not to my liking and since I have no intention of reinstalling the cylinder indexing pin assembly (I consider it superfulus, they are easy to load and unload without such additional parts) its time to remove the free spin leg at the bottom of the stainless steel pawl.

gy7TSr3.jpg

Once gone, some stoning is in order to smooth up the pawl since they are installed as cast/minimally finished.

P2CUCD9.jpg

Now the gun clicks like an OM and/or the Large frame NM (Stop rotation just before the click to load and unload. A process I am intimately familiar with and able to accomplish without thought) and like all the NMs and Vaqs retains the 6 shot capability and safety of loading/unloading with the hammer down.

Sharps40

Buckeye
Me too. Just having trouble choosing between Factory Ruger Bisley Hammer and Trigger or the Ron Power Bisley Half Cock Kit.

Lansky knife sharpening stones. They come in a large variety and ya can get a grip on em for workin or clamp em in a vice.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The $2 Bearcat spring seat is long enough to replace the lock and you won't even have to dismount the spring because the take down pin goes above the seat just like it went above the lock.

But you'll probably make your own like I used to do before I discovered the bearcat spring seat solution in 2007.

Just a scrap piece of titanium:
orig.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
Yep. Unfortunately its a special order item at $2.99 in blue/$5.99 in stainless and $5 shipping and the long wait for a special order. I'll prolly just make up something jes like yers but prolly a less fancy metal!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Sharps40 said:
Yep. Unfortunately its a special order item at $2.99 in blue/$5.99 in stainless and $5 shipping and the long wait for a special order. I'll prolly just make up something jes like yers but prolly a less fancy metal!

Ruger will likely send you a free one if you called. They have a propensity for doing that with small parts.

Sharps40

Buckeye
Stainless steel Bisley trigger on the left. A larger loop to cradle and control the finger a bit better. Also, stainless, no rust. So, a bit of work on the engagement surfaces with stones and very fine silicon carbide wet/dry paper and its ready to install....almost.

uECfnYo.jpg

First, the trigger opening in the frame has to be opened, forward, by about 1/4 to 3/8 inch. A bit of work on the drill press and then with needle files. The bare insides cold blued for now as the gun go's thru its paces on the customizing bench. But, here the slot is about 99%.

h9XNiA5.jpg

Later this nice chunk of Moroso aluminum fuel line (3/8" OD and about 1/4 ID) will become the new foot for the mainspring and its strut, replacing the quarrelsome and always inaccessible (as long as the grips are installed) Ruger Lock.

91XywiF.jpg

The new SS Bisley trigger in the gun and all fitted. Its toe needed a bit of shortening and recontouring to clear the inside of trigger guard loop. Its a good fit in the hand carved slot and looks good installed.

sc3hGqX.jpg

And now, the advantage of the Bisley trigger. When the hammer is back and the sear locked in its notch, the Bisley trigger is even closer to the grip. Combine that with the Colt/XR3 grip frame of this model and we have a length of pull suited to normal and even short length fingers. That plus the trigger wraps around the finger and positions it the same way each and every time....Lovely!

ayRcP6p.jpg

And finally.....the factory trigger read 5lbs 6 oz with both spring legs hooked up....2lbs 8 oz with one spring leg disconnected. Here with the SS Bisley trigger, lightly fitted and installed, 3 lbs 4 oz with both spring legs hooked up. No creep, no grit. No need for one spring leg to be left unhooked. Just light polish and deburring in the right places and the Ruger trigger becomes quite manageable. Time to get back to the range and try it out on steel!

1b983hK.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
With the lock removed a temporary foot for the spring and strut is made up from aluminum tube. Functional but ugly. But, it can serve as a template for making up a functional foot from flat steel stock or 1/4" id steel square tubing. Once a steel part is made (and with the lock in the pretty red box) there will be exactly zero aluminum parts on the gun.

EgrXnSA.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
I am satisfied though. The fake ivory grips will eventually go. Scratched em up good working in the garage this weekend. On a goof, buffed most of the scar out, then had to rub it back out with fff compound by hand. To easily scratched and they look just like white plastic. Even tried aging them and nitric acid based stain won't even touch them, not even with gentle heating. So, wood later I am sure unless I can find real gutta percha grips or maybe some nice buffalo horn.

Sharps40

Buckeye
Never throw away extra parts. This, a spacer from a Class III Hitch. Just about right for forming up a foot for the mainspring and strut. First, roughing in a groove, just shy of 1/4" wide with the grinder....then some hand filing to square up and straighten the inside dimensions.

Yee0jLj.jpg

Cut off what I need. A few drops of 3 in 1 oil eases the work, makes a smoother cut and smells darn fine. 3 in 1 should be an aftershave too.

YJPNtdA.jpg

After forming the slot for the strut and cross drilling a take down pin hole and a bit of final thinning and shaping, the new mainspring foot on the gun and perfect function. Steel. I'll blue it later after the finish work. Also shown is some experimentation with long tall slotted front sight ramps. I have wanted a ramp that covers most or all of the 12 oclock position on the barrel of a handgun. These from Numrich, $4.50ish each have plenty of meat for sculpting and slotting or dovetailing. They can also be sweated on or drilled and screwed to a barrel.

dSROvbF.jpg

Sight options I have on hand. 1/4 wide sight beads on a .3" wide ramp. I can taper the ramp to match or even leave it a bit wide so there is windage capability on a dovetailed front sight. Other option is to utilize a slotted ramp for pinned in blades.

IX1pelM.jpg

A quick set of photos to show how much of a shortened barrel will be taken up by these 2.260" long ramps. And, if I decide for something different, the ramps can always be shortened and recontoured.

5FXXRFr.jpg

This would be the relative position of the ramp on a 3" or 3 1/8" barrel.

JKwCDhU.jpg

Sharps40

Buckeye
I was looking hard for a chunk of Amboyna Burl to make grips from when I ran across Bear Paw grips. Seems they have a set of Ambonya Burl grips ready made for the 50th/New Vaquero models. So.........paypal to the rescue.

I suspect I'll have them next week and will post photos when they arrive. I think they are great. Cinnimon color with many black eyes and swirls and they are stablized, so the finish is through and through and rock hard. Brass fittings and stainless screw, 15%ish larger on the top end and 10% thinner at the butt than factory grip panels.

I'm a bit excited. With any luck I can get through the bottom end of this project without dinging up the bluing, and that was almost a sure bet to happen trying to shape grip panels from scratch.

Sharps40

Buckeye
This feller gushes and slobbers and talks too much but ya get a good ider of the shape and fit/finish on the Bear Paw grips for the Blackhawks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMAU8D-iU4

medicdave

Blackhawk
You'll like the bear paws. I have a couple Bisleys he did for me in macassar ebony and a set of stock xr3-red walnuts, and all are mighty comfy. Jb's a great guy to work with and very accomidating as well.

Sharps40

Buckeye
Lookin at the design, I'm thinking they mighta beed an even better choice for the Arthritus Project than the big rubber hogue bootie thas on it now! We'll see. Mom might be down soon and if she shootes bear paws an likes em better ya can betcha sonnyboy'll be gitten her a set right quick.

Sharps40

Buckeye
Okay. All clearances checked and I'm satisfied its ready to go to the range as a convertible with a fitted 9mm cylinder!.....cheeper and more plentiful than 22 lr and perfect for lots of close range practice and rolling cans.

Both the factory cylinder and the vintage 3 screw 9mm cylinder have fitted up for minimal endshake, BC gap between 4 and 5 thousands and case head to breech face clearance of 6 to 10 thousands depending on the make of the brass.

I am excited to try out the spare cylinder....now to find another for 357/44 Bain and Davis or 357 Auto Mag conversion.