New Blackhawk 45 convertible problem with heavy recoil

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cjrug

Bearcat
I enjoy my new model Blackhawk 45 convertible, which I bought new just a few weeks ago, but I had a rather scary problem recently that I want to ask other owners about. I fired a few Buffalo Bore 260 gr hollow point +P 45 Long Colt rounds. These are very hot loads, with massive recoil. Buffalo Bore says they are loaded to the maximum SAAMI pressure. My understanding is that a new model Blackhawk should be able to handle such pressure. After a few shots, the cylinder rotation bound up slightly, but the cylinder still turned, so I fired again. Then the cylinder rotation bound up even more, so I inspected the gun. I saw that the base pin latch had shifted, and the recoil had caused the base pin to slide forward, leaving the cylinder partly loose as I fired. I cannot see that any damage was done, and I did not notice any unusual spitting of gas or bullet shavings out of the cylinder gap, so I assume the cylinder was still more or less properly aligned when I fired. Nonetheless, I am worried that this could happen. It might have been serious if I had not noticed that the base pin had moved. Have others experienced this? Any comments or solutions?

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
This is fairly common with hard recoiling rounds in Ruger single actions.

Some people install a different cylinder pin (Belt Mountain etc.) especially one of the models with a screw to lock it in place.

Others try a stronger spring.

I have seen an article on fitting the existing pin to better engage the locking mechanism. This basically amounts to making sure that the little cross bolt that engages the groove in the pin actually is engaging the groove. In some cases people have recut the groove in the pin to make a better fit.

It is very solvable by one of these measures.

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
Although the Blackhawk is built strong enough to handle some powerful loads, problems can result from heavy recoil. The potential for trouble is the worst on the lightest guns, those with a short barrel and aluminum alloy grip frame (which the standard model blued guns have). The base pin backing out is one problem, and another is a broken or stripped ejector housing screw.

The stationary inertia of the housing puts force on the screw in one direction as the recoiling barrel puts force in an opposite direction, and that's a wee little piece to put up with so much stress. One solution is to heat treat the screw to give it greater strength, and another is to install an aluminum alloy housing, in cases where the gun came with a steel one.

Look for pictures of custom big bore revolvers with the banded or "express" style barrel. That band around the muzzle, which is integral to the barrel itself, gives something besides the screw for the ejector housing to bear against, so it cannot move.

For your problem, the simplest and most effective solution is probably to get a base pin with a set screw in it.

Enigma

Hunter
Most of the big-name pistolsmiths install an ejector housing with an integral stud (or two) in it to alleviate the problem of stripping the threads on the screw (or hole) from recoil.

Proper fit of the base pin and latch is generally easily accomplished. If you decide to install a base pin with a setscrew, don't forget to drill/grind/mill a small depression in the bottom of the barrel for the setscrew to engage.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Common problem. Note that if the pin backs out enough you won't be able to fire the gun. Check the latch pin mechanism and touch-up with a small file if necessary to secure the base pin. As noted a stronger latch pin spring is available. 8) 8)

...JImbo