New around here

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
Against my firm decision not to have another pet/companion after the passing of my dog Girl, there's a new Girl in my life. A friend of a friend had to get rid of his cow dog due to some personal reason (he's going prison for a DUI accident with injuries) so my friend dropped her off at the ranch a couple of weeks ago. He locked her in a stock trailer with food and water while I was at work and left me a message on voicemail telling me to check the trailer when I got home. That's all he said - "Check the white stock trailer when you get home. I left you a gift."

Turns out to be good with cattle, follows along with my 4 wheeler when I head out to the pens, jumps in the bed of the truck as soon as I drop the tailgate - I don't even have to say "truck." Interestingly, she does not truck up if I'm wearing my work uniform. She seems to know the difference between work clothes and ranch work clothes. So far, so good. She loves to swim in the irrigation canal.

I'm determined to keep her as a work dog and not a pet. Yeah, right.

Attachments

• 20220821_180713.jpg
    20220821_180713.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220821_175221.jpg
    20220821_175221.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20220821_180628.jpg
    20220821_180628.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68

Ride1949

Buckeye
I'm determined to keep her as a work dog and not a pet. Yeah, right.

Good luck with that. ;) I have no idea on the breed, but she has a beautiful/unique coat. Even with the mud. I sure would like to see what she looks like without it. It sounds like she will make a great companion.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Worst thing you can do to a 'working dog' is turn it into a pet.
I yell and cuss and rant at the Grandkids for playing with the guard dog pups too much. They turn a deaf ear and do as they please. We had to dispose of a well bred male dog this year because the kids played with him too much as a pup and he simply couldn't/wouldn't stay in the field. Just kept going back to the house to be petted/played with. $1000 mistake? Not a mistake--an intentional disregard of what should have been gospel advice.

CoalCrackerAl

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the new companion. My latest dog was a rescue. The former own kept him in cage most of the time. And underfed him and beat him. I think he was trying to make him mean. He's big love bug. He filled out nice since i got him. Not gun shy too. Here is pic when i got him.

Attachments

• Resized_20220428_131244_44122354562090.jpeg
    Resized_20220428_131244_44122354562090.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 43

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I agree there seems to be a lot of Australian Cattle Dog (ACD) in that one. In that color, they are also called Blue Heeler and they are also common in a rust color in which case they are called Red Heelers, but they are all ACDs. The Heeler part is due to their tendency to nip at the heels of cattle when herding, and some of them can't help but herd people in the absence of cattle, also nipping their heels. I've read that the breed has a decent amount of dingo blood.

I've wanted an ACD ever since seeing the movie Road Warrior (sequel to Mad Max, but I saw them in reverse order back in the 1980's.). We lost our Akita girl a year ago and my wife doesn't want another 100+ pound shedding machine, so I think I have her fairly convinced to get an ACD after we move.