Need help to fix my Ruger Mark IV .22 has been a crazy few days figuring out what to do.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

junkdq

Bearcat
So I owned Guns before but fixing them and modifying them not that's not me. Mark IV Light when I was pulling bolt ears the firearm detached and then now I can't get the spring loaded to fit back into the base.

This has driven me up the wall did not sleep the past few nights and maybe tonight as well

I can't afford to send it to Ruger for repair or take it to shop money is tight

Attachments

• IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 73

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

I tried to view your video,, but it wanted me to "sign in" to be able to view it. I do not have,, nor do I want an "account" with them.

I do see a couple of your pictures,, of the bolt recoil spring assy.
If this is the problem,, then it's a simple fix.
You simply place the assembly in place,, then push those funny ears forward,,, and let it slip in the slot on top of the bolt. The opposite end has a little quarter moon looking retainer,, that fits in a slot on top of the bolt. That end goes in first,, followed by slightly compressing the spring,,via those ears,, and allowing it to sit flat in the rail slot.

I hope this helps.

hittman

Staff member
I think Ruger has videos on their web site on disassembly and assembly.

I'd also think about calling Ruger. They may fix it for free. Just worth a try ….

Welcome to the forum.

junkdq

Bearcat
I think Ruger has videos on their web site on disassembly and assembly.

I'd also think about calling Ruger. They may fix it for free. Just worth a try ….

Welcome to the forum.
That's what I was afraid to send it in :( Also, I followed some videos but I'm a newbie.

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, good morning.
Thanks for putting up the videos. it helps a little.
The videos aren't clear,, but I'm going to try & offer a little help.

My first comments about the correct assembly,, by depressing the spring a little,, allowing the "ears" of the recoil spring assy to sit in the slots cut for them in the top of the bolt MIGHT be what is happening. It was hard to tell if you had the recoil spring assembly correctly installed on the top of the bolt.
That would cause binding, and lot allow it to filly insert.

I cringed a bit every time I saw you trying to tap/bang it into going in. A little tip,, NEVER force a part into place. You can damage parts. Luckily,, you didn't seem to be too hard on the parts.

Next,, again, it wasn't clear in the video, but it seemed as if MAYBE,, you were trying to install it upside down. I may be mistaken, but the recoil spring assy goes on the top of the bolt, and that it's up, not down in the receiver.

Do you have your Ruger manual?
If so, take it out, and carefully study it. It will show you how to assemble it correctly.

If you do not have a manual,, contact Ruger, and they will send you a manual for free.

Also, I've never had to use them, but I do believe they have disassembly/reassembly videos on their website.
These suggestions are free, and only cost you time.

Also, as noted above. Still photos, CLEAR close-ups, of the bolt and recoil spring assembly just before you attempt to put it in the receiver, and again, of it, where it is stopped, can help us. Just like the (2) still pictures you posted in your first post. In both of those pictures,, the recoil spring assembly is not properly installed. The ears are not in the bolt properly, AND it appears as if the recoil spring isn't aligned in the center of the bolt stop pin.

Unless you've damaged something,, it doesn't need a trip back to Ruger.

harley08

Blackhawk
So I owned Guns before but fixing them and modifying them not that's not me. Mark IV Light when I was pulling bolt ears the firearm detached and then now I can't get the spring loaded to fit back into the base.

This has driven me up the wall did not sleep the past few nights and maybe tonight as well

I can't afford to send it to Ruger for repair or take it to shop money is tight

harley08

Blackhawk
Ruger has good customer service, it may not even cost you anything from Ruger. Call them, explain what's going on they might pay for shipping also!

@Dan in MI - I think the OP didn't have the spring assembly correctly seated on the bolt stop pin end but can't be certain. You have given us some nice pictures of 3 fine bolts, properly assembled to help him if he comes back for help. I rarely remove them when cleaning mine but OP must have and didn't realize the need to finesse the pin end back into the grove properly.

Dan in MI

Staff member
@Dan in MI - I think the OP didn't have the spring assembly correctly seated on the bolt stop pin end but can't be certain. You have given us some nice pictures of 3 fine bolts, properly assembled to help him if he comes back for help. I rarely remove them when cleaning mine but OP must have and didn't realize the need to finesse the pin end back into the grove properly.

I assume you are correct, but would like to know if we helped. I also assume sometimes the fix is so simple the OP gets embarrassed. I get that too, but we all make mistakes.