My favorite carry gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thewiz828

Single-Sixer
This is my favorite carry gun. Nestled in a Buchheimer Hi-Ride. Filled with Federal .38sp HP Nyloc's.

DSC03545.jpg

DSC03546.jpg

DSC03548.jpg

I absolutely approve of your choice. These short-barreled Security Sixes shoot as well or better than a bunch of guns you wouldn't think they could compete with.

Occasionally, Heliman and I will spend a day at the range, shooting these short-barreled revolvers at fifty yards, and unless you've done it, it's surprising just how accurate these guns can be.

WAYNO. :mrgreen:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Very nice!

I got this one a couple years ago for $300 which included 120 rounds of ammo and two sets of grips. It had a broken front sight blade but I ordered one from Numrich for around $7 + shipping and it only took a few minutes to install. It's very accurate and has the nicest trigger of any revolver I have ever owned. It has a few scratches but it shoots great.

ri6uyu.jpg

2qa2q9j.jpg

thewiz828

Single-Sixer
Wayno, I agree 100%. I like your with smaller grips, but I have big hands and the service grips work well for me. I had several other 3" guns....makes me wish I had kept them.

eveled

Hawkeye
Since it turned into a picture thread here is the one I gave my Dad for being my best man,

securitysix003_zps058f3bcd.jpg

Prescut

Single-Sixer
what do those little beauties weigh?
they look gorgeous, but will they pull my pants down?

I have a nice stiff belt, but I'm a little light in the butt and have to adjust my drawers all day long. I would up with a S&W scandium 360 that weighs 13 oz. With 357mag, it will hit your palm like a baseball bat. Carry lots, shoot little.

That single six might really be the ticket.

Prescut

hittman

Staff member

I would love to carry a Security or Speed Six but they're just too heavy for my liking. Those Six Series are my all time favorite double actions. I use a Tyler T Grip with mine too.

A couple of years ago a local retailer had these .38 Special LCR's with the fiber optic site on a Black Friday special of $299.99! This one has over 1,000 rounds through it now and I've carried it for about 2 years. My son carries one just like it as his BUG too!

thewiz828

Single-Sixer
Hittman, didn't you get one of the short barrel guns I got rid of a couple years back? Dare I say, a Smith maybe?

hittman

Staff member
Hmmm ..... I was thinking maybe Service Six? Had a Model 60 once but got that one locally.

I don't recall for sure ..... so many guns ...... so little money! :lol:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
Prescut said:

I just checked mine and it weighs 2 lb 5.3 oz loaded.

Out of curiosity I weighed my sons 686 2.5" and it is 2 lb 6.8 oz loaded wearing a Hogue wood monogrip.

bvd1

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
I absolutely approve of your choice. These short-barreled Security Sixes shoot as well or better than a bunch of guns you wouldn't think they could compete with.

Occasionally, Heliman and I will spend a day at the range, shooting these short-barreled revolvers at fifty yards, and unless you've done it, it's surprising just how accurate these guns can be.

Wayno, do you know if your Security Six came from the factory with the round butt or did you have it done. I have read that a few were shipped from Ruger with the round butt.

bvd1 said:
WAYNO said:

]

Wayno, do you know if your Security Six came from the factory with the round butt or did you have it done. I have read that a few were shipped from Ruger with the round butt.

The "story" as I understand it...
Ruger gave the round-butt treatment to a small batch of Security Sixes, but cannot/will not provide substantiation for the guns receiving the treatment. There is an understood serial number range for these said guns, and mine falls within that range. So that's all I can ever know. I do know the rounded grip frame on mine is a perfect fit for any factory Speed Six grip panels.

WAYNO.

bogus bill

Hunter
I was a Lockheed guard. They issued us stainless steel Speed Six`s with 4" barrel and the rounded butt. Fixed sights, .357 mag. I have had just about every DA revolver ever made pass through my hands. Those "felt" about the best ever in my hand.

hittman

Staff member
thewiz828 said:
Hitt, yes in fact it was a Service Six.

Hoping you'll think of me first when you land some more of the snubby Six Series!

Prescut said:

I have a nice stiff belt, but I'm a little light in the butt and have to adjust my drawers all day long. I would up with a S&W scandium 360 that weighs 13 oz. With 357mag, it will hit your palm like a baseball bat. Carry lots, shoot little.

That single (Security?) six might really be the ticket.

Prescut

I have too much gut and too little arse. I cannot keep pants up without suspenders. I never carry a handgun on my trouser belt. I always carry a gun on a separate gun belt, cinched tight just above my trousers. With suspenders supporting my trousers and trouser belt, the separate gun belt will never slide past the waist band of my trousers. Very effective, and very comfortable for me. The Security Six is in the 35-ounce range. I can also carry much heavier guns the same way without the gun belt sliding south.

WAYNO.