Match Champ barrel markings

Help Support Ruger Forum:

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the ugly billboards on the flats of my GP Match Champ barrel & get a good finish match with the rest of the gun. I've always thought the Taurus revolver markings looked hideous, & now Ruger has joined the club with huge signs on their GP barrels. I really love the gun, & I thought I could put up with it, but I hate it !!!

I really don't want to damage the revolver, but they gotta go !!! Any advice on how to work them off & how to get a good matching finish on the flats again ??

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
You might try this question in the gun-smithing section.

Because the lettering is on the flat sides of the barrel I don't see why you could not use a flat file to remove the lettering and then use a stone or a sanding block to smooth out any file marks. After that a Scotch Bright scrubbing pad should restore the finish to match the rest of the gun.

I had this one done and reblued. I'm would imagine a stainless gun could
also be done, matching the original polish may be tricky but I'm sure it is
possible. The whole gun could be repolished that would be the worse possible
scenario.ps

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I'd draw file the flats with a medium cut mill file well chalked to prevent gouging from metal particles clogged in the file teeth. Followed with decendeing grits of wet and dry sandpaper wraped around a wooden piece similar shaped as the file. When you work your way down to 400 grit thefinish will be looking pretty much like the rest of the gun. Keeping the corners sharp and crisp will make it appear factory. That is almost impossible to do with a scotch bright pad.

Blindjoedeath

Bearcat
I understand and sympathize with your barrel etching issues. However, the GP100 Match Champion is such a sublime revolver, they could etch "Barak Obama" on the barrel and I'd still buy it!!! It's that good!

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I already bought it, but have not had much playtime with it yet !!

vulcannut

Bearcat
Blindjoedeath said:
I understand and sympathize with your barrel etching issues. However, the GP100 Match Champion is such a sublime revolver, they could etch "Barak Obama" on the barrel and I'd still buy it!!! It's that good!

Sorry but no way in h@ll would I buy it then. That being said I really want a match champion GP100.

41 Magnum

Single-Sixer
I just re-shimmed the hammer, (.005 shims) as it displayed way too much side play, & replaced the springs with the same Wolff springs (6# trigger/10# hammer) as are in my 6" standard GP. WOW, !!! What a difference that made.
Functions perfectly, & smooth as butter !!!
After dry firing for a couple days, this feels as good as any of my S&W's !
For a 4", accuracy is also quite impressive !!!
This may turn out to be my carry piece after some trial time. I love it !!

But I still want to re-finish those billboards ! But, I'll get up enough courage to start it some time later I guess.