Mark IV Hunter Bolt Spring Rubs

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RussellC

Bearcat
I just purchased a Mark IV Hunter and I noticed the Spring on the bolt rubs against the frame when I charge the weapon.

Is it normal for the spring to rub against the frame making a high pitch rubbing noise when I pull back the bolt to charge the weapon?

Thanks

Russ

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They have this new stuff called oil. Maybe it will help. Assuming that no parts are damaged of course , guide rod bent,broken spring etc.

yes, you should use "plug stop" screws, they have a "cap" so cannot screw down, into the hole ,simple "filler" screws" will just keep going ,down, down, down, till they come out the bottom side.... 8)

as noted above, this is very common on scoped rifles with screws that are TOO long,,,,, :roll:

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
RussellC said:
I just purchased a Mark IV Hunter and I noticed the Spring on the bolt rubs against the frame when I charge the weapon.

Is it normal for the spring to rub against the frame making a high pitch rubbing noise when I pull back the bolt to charge the weapon?

Thanks

Russ

In a single word...............no! In fact it's impossible. But , there is the possibility of ONE of the optics base plug screws to rub on the recoil spring, the rear one. The rear screw hole is the ONLY base screw hole that goes through. The front two are blind holes and it doesn't matter which type plug screw you use for those two. Your pistol should have arrived with "positive stop screws" installed in your receiver.

WMB30

Single-Sixer
Check the spring. I have had it fail on one of my MkII's. Very unusual, and it will rub, in my case not 100% of the time.

Bill