Lyman 45hp load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Greetings all. I have run into a slight dilema. I recently purchased the latest issue of Lyman's reloading manual. I also purchased a Lyman, .45 hp, 180 gr mould. Now for the dilema.....there is no load data for this mould/bullet in their manual. One of the first things I did was to go to their web page looking for load data. As far as I can tell, they do not publish this data on line, at least I couldn't find it. I then went back to some of their previous loading manuals and they don't show any data either. And, of course, they do not have an e-mail address you can write to. So! Having driven 3 blocks to tell a 1 block story......we get to it.

1st, does anyone have any reloading data for this mould?
2nd, where did you find it?
3rd, how does this bullet shoot?

I appreciate any help I can get with this. I am getting ready to cast some up (with wheel weights) and would like to make sure I can load safely with it.

Bill

dougader

Hunter
Is this for 45 auto/acp? Compare the weight and length of the bullet to other bullets that have data listed. Using 185 grain data as a starting point can get you going, especially the data for target swc bullets, both lead (200 grain only) and jacketed, as produced by Hornady and Speer.

Oh, also, someone may have a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook that shows data for this bullet/mold. If you don't find what you want here, you can also check with the guys over at castboolits dot com.

gunzo

Hunter
I have a cast bullet handbook along with several other Lyman manuals & will be glad to take a look. But first, we need to know the cartridge you intend to load.
Otherwise, dougader has provided good advice.

Edit:
I've looked, my cast bullet manual does not list data for that particular bullet. I won't tell you too, that's your decision, but I would select data for a jacketed bullet in the same weight or data for the next heaviest bullet & go from there, along with the usual precautions.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
That bullet is typically loaded for the .45 ACP cartridge. I've never loaded it, so that's about all the info I can share. LOL

mikld

Blackhawk
When loading lead bullets without bullet specific data available, I'll use data for a comparable weight lead bullet and go with the starting load. I've used 185 gr. LSWC in my 45 ACP, 1911, but didn't care for it and went with an H&G 68 clone weighing 200 gr., very accurate in my cheap 1911...

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
If it is 180gr ACP or a 180gr 45 colt there is plenty of data at Hodgdon website if you substitute a flat point bullet for the hollow point.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Many thanks for the replies, all are very much appreciated. Also, my apologies, I should have mentioned that this is for the .45 ACP. Brain fart on my part. I will definitely check out the links. Hopefully I will get to call Lyman today and see what they can tell me. If they do have any info I will be sure to post it here.

This is one of the reasons I like this group so much, always willing to help with good, safe advice. :)

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Well, I just tried to call Lyman and it seems that they are closed for inventory and will re-open on the 11th. At least that is what the recording said. :(
So, it looks like I will need to be patient for a while longer and call them back. In the mean time, I will look at the links posted and see what I can find.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
4th edition of Lyman Cast Bullet Hand book has your bullet listed on pg.277
What powder are you loading ?

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
Slenk, you sir, are my hero. I looked that manual up at Amazon and it turns out I bought it about 4 years ago. When I got home I looked for it and found it buried under a stack of reloading manuals and articles that I have saved. I think I have at least 5, and possibly 6, of the powders that are listed. Definitely doing the happy dance here.

As I said, you are my hero.

Thank you to all who answered, it is very much appreciated. You folks are the best!

Bill