Lowest ring class usable on 10/22?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Naphtali

Single-Sixer
I've nearly completed my small game rifle, a 10/22 with Hogue OverMold® stock. I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4x40 (one-inch barrel) telescopic sight that I want to mount on my 10/22, using Ruger's mount. I've window-shopped for Weaver-style one-inch rings and find LOW, STANDARD, MEDIUM, HIGH, and X-HIGH ring heights listed. What is the lowest ring height that will function correctly -- that is, mount with sufficient adjustment available -- with the scope's 40 mm bell?

I prefer steel rings to aluminum ones. I suspect any ring set will be amply strong for use on a 22 RF. Any suggestions/recommendations for rings?

I'd guess you need the medium height with a 40mm objective (front) lens but it could be a high....

I'll see if I can find a way to figure it out.

I've used the see through rings too... but keep in mind the higher off the rifle the scope is the more parrallex you get... I think this is when the adjustments on the scope don't really do exactly what they are supposed to... under different winds and ranges.

I've looked at my one scoped 10/22 and I think you might could even get by with the low ones...

Do you have the factory barrel on it or a after market one with out a front sight?

Hawker Man

Bearcat
The higher above the receiver you get the harder it is to get a good cheek weld on the stock. That makes it tough to get a good aim through the scope with your head floating around above the stock.
You are thinking, right keep it as low as possible.
Tom