Low back Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Low back. Notice there is no "point" on top of the grips, they're rounded off. Also the back strap has a little bulge in it and the bottom of the frame is flared out a bit.

IMG_0094.jpeg

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Old_vs_New_Grips.jpg

Lowback on left, highback on right

Old_vs_New_Grips_inside.jpg

Black lines at bottom are the same length

Old_vs_New_hammer.jpg

Lowback (left) shows more of the hammer at the bottom.

The top of the backstrap on a lowback is lower and caused the web of a larger hand to lop over the back of the frame which in turn would allow the hammer spur to pinch the web in recoil. So the frame was redesigned with a higher backstrap to give the web of the hand more surface area to better tolerate recoil without getting bitten by the spur.

In some verbiage direct from Ruger, they referred to the lowback as the "early slant-grip style". Lowback and highback were terms coined by collectors and I suspect it was Chad (chet15) from RENE that came up with those monikers.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
"Slant Grip" and "Ball Breech" lingo from Ruger:

1708096384081.png

That was the letter included with the "RDA-94" Security Six that Ruger experimented on to build the first Pilorget extraction 9mm.

"Ball Breech" would refer to the rounded recoil shield from the earlier guns, later modified to what we now call the scalloped style.

Terry T

Buckeye
WMG that's a dandy Six Series to have with the GP100 style rollmark!
Very nice.
The Ruger Security Six guns (a 6" and a 4") with the GP-100 style roll mark on the barrel were made up for special engraving leaving room on the frame for the engraving. The 6" was for the FBI commerative and the 4" for a Sheriff's commerative.
The guns without the engraving were unused "overruns". The engraving was not factory but a 3rd. party. The factory provided the "blank canvas".
1708112230649.jpeg

1708112542788.jpeg

Sorry for the poor photos. If you look carefully or save and enlarge them, you can see the special markings on the barrel.
Terry T.

cwweld

Bearcat
So I found a good deal on a Security Six last month and couldn't pass it up. Stainless 4 inch, pretty much exactly what I wanted in a 357 revolver. Took it to the range and decided the factory wood grips do not go well with hot 357 so I ordered some rubber target grips. Come to find out the grips will not fit and that's when I learned about the low back Security Six.
I tried to modify the rubber grips but that did not work. The only aftermarket grips I can find are the Jay Scott grips but they don't look like they'd make a difference over the factory stocks, they look to be the same size. I can't find a set of the Herretts,which would be perfect, but I'm keeping an eye out. Does anyone here have any suggestions?
Someone on another forum said they modified a set of Pachmayr grips for a Redhawk to fit their low back but I can't get any more info on that. I'd like to know which Pachmayrs (presentation, gripper?) and how it was done exactly but this person hasn't got back to me. I'm thinking about trying these Tuff 1 universal grip covers I saw, I'm thinking if I overlap 2 or 3 it should give me the effect I'm looking for.
Anyone know of some grips I can make fit a low back? I'm not really trying to spend $200 on a set of custom grips.
What's really interesting is it has a 151 SN, just my luck since all the aftermarket grips say to make sure your SN is 151 or higher 🤣
I have a new in the box pair of Jay Scott Checkered Walnut Oversize Target Stocks for the low shelf Security Six. You would need BIG hands for them to be practical. My profile picture shows them mounted on my 150- they are too big for my hands. Thinking if I can't find a pair of Shooting Stars I may just take these to the belt sander unless someone else has another idea.

hittman

Staff member
I had a low back Security Six. I looked for sometime and found a set of Herretts made for the low back.
WeXvBHs.jpg
I looked for a low back 6 inch for a long long time. Got very lucky that it's in 99% condition AND the bonus of coming with these grips! I'm usually sticking with factory grips but must say these fit me very well and look great.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Check this out! In my search for a worn but usable snubby I found this! Check out the buy it now price! Same one I have. Supposedly new but I'm not 100% sure it is. It looks like the finish was touched up and those are definitely aftermarket grips. I think they're Herretts but I could be wrong.

hittman

Staff member
That IS a nice one even without the original grips on it. And those original grips are cheap and easy to find thank goodness.

Great box and shipper.

With it being Gunbroker, I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher than normal OR lower. It just depends if someone wants it bad enough or not many people interested. From the bidding so far, it's random people so it may stay low until right near the end. I'm watching it to see what happens.

Last edited:

magnum0710

Bearcat
With it being Gunbroker, I wouldn't be surprised if it went higher than normal OR lower. It just depends if someone wants it bad enough or not many people interested. From the bidding so far, it's random people so it may stay low until right near the end. I'm watching it to see what happens.
Still got 2 days, I'm surprised it's not higher but then again I highly doubt it's "new old stock" between the grips (which are sought after alone but still aftermarket) and the finish I can't imagine this one being new and unfired. It looks like the finish under the cylinder by the logo was touched up with a gray 3m pad but the person wasn't careful about it. I'd like to see how high it goes too. Right now it's right around what I paid for mine.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Those are Herrett Shooting Star grips. I'm watching this one to see how high it goes.
I was pretty sure they were Herrett's but I wasn't 100% so I didn't want to call it out. It's been a while, I haven't looked at grips since I got the unfinished ones from you. Still haven't got em done 🤣 I will eventually just haven't had a lot of down time.

Latest posts