Low back Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magnum0710

Bearcat
"Yeah it sucks Ruger won't service them,"

No company out there keeps service parts for long discontinued items. Try getting parts for a Model T car from ford.
Not giving you a hard time,, just pointing out that most often, when looking at older items,, it's either aftermarket, or hand made to fix an issue.

Grips,, as noted,, a spacer can be added, fairly easily.

"I have no idea how to set the little bolt for the screw." Brownells sells a grip screw escuation (spelling) tool that makes it EASY!!!!!! They aren't expensive. Plus,, they also sell the parts & screws. It's not a hard job to do, even for an amateur. And if unclear how to try it,, practice on a few pieces of scrap first.
I knew what I was getting into service wise, I rolled the dice based off the reputation of the Six series. I did not know about the whole low back vs high back thing until after the fact though.
I'll have to order the tool from Brownells forsure if I end up going with the unfinished grips. Thanks!

Can't start a "conversation" with you yet but if you are interested I can cut off the excess wood and you can finish the project. You'll need to get a grip screw and escutcheons from Brownells (or Numrich for OEM parts) and either use a drill bit and straight wall countersink or the escutheon drill bit from Brownells. Truthfully, that may be more than you want to spend unless you plan on making more grips on your own.

magnum0710

Bearcat
How much would you want for em? I could probably take the bolt and screw from the 151 grips that didn't work and use those. I'm sure I can figure out how to set the bolt it can't be too hard.

Ruger00fan

Bearcat
Thank you! That would be great! I didn't even know Pachmayr made grips for the low backs!!!
I couldn't find the elusive low-back pachmayrs either, but I just took an exacto knife to the insides so they fit.
Update after re-reading the inital post: Looks like you already tried that! Good luck with your search. I used the largest presentation grips I could find.

Last edited:

magnum0710

Bearcat
I couldn't find the elusive low-back pachmayrs either, but I just took an exacto knife to the insides so they fit.
Update after re-reading the inital post: Looks like you already tried that! Good luck with your search. I used the largest presentation grips I could find.
The grips I tried weren't pachmayr they were sile so maybe the pachmayrs will work? I might have to take the locator pin out of the grip frame though and I'm not sure I want to do that.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Can't start a "conversation" with you yet but if you are interested I can cut off the excess wood and you can finish the project. You'll need to get a grip screw and escutcheons from Brownells (or Numrich for OEM parts) and either use a drill bit and straight wall countersink or the escutheon drill bit from Brownells. Truthfully, that may be more than you want to spend unless you plan on making more grips on your own.
I replied but it didn't quote your post for some reason. How much would you want?

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
My dad made oversize grips for his lowback Security Six and he didn't need no stinkin' escutcheons! He did the old hexagon peg in a round hole trick and force-fit a brass hex nut into an undersized hole in one grip and used a large head brass screw that wouldn't sink into the wood on the other side.

I wish I could find those grips to show. When I inherited his guns, I took them off and reinstalled the originals and put the gun back into its factory white box with die-cut insert that would not accomodate the large grips. I remember tucking dad's homemade grips into his homemade holster for safekeeping, but I can't find the holster either. My dad died 25 years ago this August, so it had been a while.

pops-ss1.jpg

magnum0710

Bearcat
I'm sure I can figure out a way to make it work one way or another. I've been watching some videos on how to do it. Sorry to hear about your father, 25 years is a long time but still it's never easy.

I don't know how many posts it takes before you can participate in the conversations (private messages) so I don't want to give out my email or phone # on this "open" thread. But I will tell you it would be $30 shipped if I do some of the cutting and $20 shipped if I leave then they way I got them (with all the extra wood from the original rough shaping). I will also mark where the grip screw goes.

Found it - for a new person to do a conversation it is at least 10 days and 15 posts.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member

I think the post count rules are site-wide for new members, not exclusive to the Classifieds.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I looked again for those lowback grips my dad made and still couldn't find them.

But I did find a different set of grips he made, along with a holster for a 4" Security Six that is a later highback gun with a 154 prefix and the warning barrel.

I'm not certain but I believe the wood is Texas mesquite that he harvested from my grandfather's small ranch. He took it back to Colorado and dried it for a year or two, then made several sets of grips out of it and I think these are some of those. I still have the leftover mesquite from that.

Anyway, his grip making skills had evolved by this time, and he rounded out the brass hex nut on a redneck "lathe" (screw chucked into an electric drill clamped into his bench vise and file). He also added a small slot to these at the bottom of the grips to insert a pry tool to get them apart. These grips wrap around the front of the frame but leave the backstrap exposed.

SecSixGrips-1.JPG

SecSixGrips-2.JPG

SecSixGrips-3.JPG

SecSixGrips-4.JPG

SecSixGrips-5.JPG

jmca

Bearcat
I am a bit insane about collecting the -Six series guns and sometimes get one with aftermarket grips that I remove and replace with factory. I will poke around and see what I can find. Might have a pair of Pachmayers. I think the lowback Pachs do not have a hole in the bottom for reading the SN, that came along later on the highback grips.
I was talking about my Security-Six in a Thread and mentioned that my Pachmayers cover the serial number. I think I photo'd it to determine if it is a Low Back? I LOVE the Pachmayers!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
You know I have a fair number of Security/Speed Sixes, and many grips, factory and after-market. The above grips, I've seen many photos over the years, but I've never seen a set of those in person.:unsure:
Those smooth oversize grips came along closer to the end of Security Six production on the "T" (Target) models.
This one is a 161 prefix and also has the fairly rare "RUGER" in huge lettering on the side of the barrel:

GA34_large-RUGER_161-58831.jpg

The more common Target grips are the checkered ones with more of a S&W grip profile:
GA36T-Big-Grip.jpg

hittman

Staff member
You know I have a fair number of Security/Speed Sixes, and many grips, factory and after-market. The above grips, I've seen many photos over the years, but I've never seen a set of those in person.:unsure:
WAYNO, I didn't know about these until just a few years ago. I think this is a picture I poached from flatgate. Got lucky and found 2 new pair at Numrich. I use them on my 6 inch guns.

Latest posts