Low back Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
WMG that's a dandy Six Series to have with the GP100 style rollmark!
Very nice.

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I had a low back Security Six. I looked for sometime and found a set of Herretts made for the low back.
WeXvBHs.jpg

Ruger00fan

Bearcat
I couldn't find the elusive low-back pachmayrs either, but I just took an exacto knife to the insides so they fit.
Update after re-reading the inital post: Looks like you already tried that! Good luck with your search. I used the largest presentation grips I could find.
For anyone interested if you want to modify the large presentation pachmayr from highback to lowback.

Not my best work, I did this a long time ago, but here is a picture of the inside after I removed material. Bottom locator pin is in the same place. I had to drill/tap through an embedded steel plate to mount a new screw, I don't use a nut on the other side but did recess the screw head.

Attachments

• IMG_20230509_123156415.jpg
    IMG_20230509_123156415.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230509_123212499_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230509_123212499_HDR.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 76

magnum0710

Bearcat
For anyone interested if you want to modify the large presentation pachmayr from highback to lowback.

Not my best work, I did this a long time ago, but here is a picture of the inside after I removed material. Bottom locator pin is in the same place. I had to drill/tap through an embedded steel plate to mount a new screw, I don't use a nut on the other side but did recess the screw head.
This might be a project I'll have to try eventually 🤔 although I'm going to buy the unfinished stocks from Ronin for the time being and finish em up. I'll update once I have em finished up.

magnum0710

Bearcat
I've been hunting for the Herretts but haven't found any yet. I did find a set on ebay and they look exactly like yours but the seller says they're for the 151+ Six. I'll see if I can find em and see if you guys think he's right or not.

hittman

Staff member
For many an earlier way to determine low vs. high back is this.
Low back have no "point" on top of the grips similar to the K frame S&W Magna grips.
Low back have a hump or bump on the back strap the high back dont.
Low back have a more pronounced flair at the bottom rear.

Low back example.

hittman

Staff member
Also, many ( most? ) of the low back factory grips came with a black screw.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I remember buying a lowback gun online about 20 years ago that had Herrett grips and it arrived with the Herrett box and inside the box were the original grips. I swapped the originals back on and put the Herretts back in the box. But I have no idea what happened to the box. I looked for it today but the only Herrett box I found was for S&W grips and was empty.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

magnum0710

Bearcat
Those are exactly what I'm looking for! I'm buying a pair of unfinished grips from Ronin but if no one buys these in the next week or two I'll pick em up forsure. I picked up a bunch of ammo this week and I have the money for the unfinished grips so hopefully these won't sell before I can come up with the money.

WAYNO, I sent you a Conversation
And because @hittman sent me that conversation, I now have a brand new set of these beautiful smooth Target Grips. Quite lovely, but too enormous for me. After this photo-op, these grips will be sentenced to a lengthy sentence in the grip drawer. 😲

Last edited:

magnum0710

Bearcat
I just received a new pair of J Scott checkered walnut target/oversize grips from Sarco. They are J Scott #362 and definitely fit my 150 Security Six. Under $40.00 shipped.
Very nice! I think the oversized ones would be too big for me personally but I'm sure they're an improvement. I was actually able to make the Pachmayr grips for the high back work on the low back. They're not a perfect fit but they're damn close and they work extremely well. I was able to make the Gripper and the small Presentation grips work. Since the small Presentations work I'm sure the big ones would too.

cwweld

Bearcat
Yes they are very big, so much so that I plan to remove the finish and slim them down a bunch. btw Sarco is showing them out of stock again but they have a wait/notify list for them.

larry8

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have a pic of a "high back" and "low back" so I can figure out what guns I have? As I don't know what the difference is between them.

Does anyone have a pic of a "high back" and "low back" so I can figure out what guns I have? As I don't know what the difference is between them.