Looking for a recipe for 38 special light weights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just wondering if anyone would like to share their recipe for some light weight "popper" 158gr loads. I have several powders to choose from but have a veriety of different Vituvouri. Just looking for something that would be comfortable to fire in airweights, and really easy on the hands out of a SP101 or security six.

Cholo

Staff member
I don't use this load, but 2.7 grs. of Bullseye ( I use 3.4) and a WC is a light load. What powders do you have to choose from?

Here are my current powder choices.

Hecules Bullseye
Hecules Unique
Hecules 2400
Dupont IMR 4831
Dupont IMR 4756
Dupont IMR 4064
Dupont IMR 4320
Dupont IMR 3031
Winchester Ball 540
Vitavuori N320
Vitavuori N160
Vitavuori 3N37
Vitavuori N340
Vitavuori N133
Vitavuori N130
Vitavuori N110

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
GasGuzzler said:
Bullseye IMO but not THAT light. I'd stay above 3.0 but.....might wanna go to 125-130 grains of lead if you wanna get seriously weak.

Hi,

That 2.7 or 2.8 gr charge of Bullseye is a classic w/ a 148 gr WC--read some place probably billions of 'em have been fired in bullseye competition and such! I've never tried it w/ a 158, though.

Looking thru the records, looks like I've used a charge of 4.0 gr of Bullseye under a 125 gr copper plated FP some time ago. That was a nice load... but I don't see my recipe on the Alliant site any more.

And you'll need to check the Alliant site to see if they still list 'em, but they had some "cowboy" loads there at one time. I've used a 158 gr over Unique from that page that shot well in my 3" GP. My BIL shoots a lot of 148 gr WCs in his 3" SP-101 using Unique, too. Since Unique's happier w/ a bit heavier load, a snug crimp's helpful.

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
Do you not have any reloading data manuals ??

Hi,

Can anyone here cite a single manual that suggests "Something that would be comfortable to fire in airweights, and really easy on the hands out of a SP101 or security six" or similar? I can't...

Seems like the OP has a legitimate question.

Rick C

WIL TERRY said:

Yes I do have manuals. As Rick says---I am looking for something easy on the hands and on the powder. I have plenty flamethrowing full powerhouse rounds of 38, 357 and 44 (and love shooting them) but the books don't seem to have girly load data. I also have both plastic and rubber bullets, but they are a little lighter than what I am looking for. I have now seen powder as high as $40 a LB. Just for backyard plinking I am looking for something that is cheap to load and will still push a piece of lead out the end of the barrel. I don't want to have flash-over issues and figured someone might just have the perfect recipe.

I am trying to use what I have on hand for both powder and bullets. I have all sorts of jacketed bullets, but would rather use what I have in lead and what is still somewhat readily available at reasonable prices.

novalty

Bearcat
I'd probably wouldn't use Unique, as it prefers to run on the hot side to be clean. You will probably find more data on Bulleyes loads.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I JUST CHECKED FIVE[5] MANUALS. They ALL had minimum woossy loads such as you speak. THey also ALL had those same loads at the minimum pressures the propellents can be safely be used at by handloaders.
I note you mentioned JACKETED bullets in the same breath with those low-end, low-pressure loads. When you stick the first one of those in your 38 BBL pay your pistolsmith to remove as you'll probably ruin the BBL doing it yourself.
The ONLY safe loads such as you want will be with lead bullets and the ONLY ones of those that'll deliver some semblence of reasonable ballistic performance will be the 38 WC bullet that were designed 80 years ago to do just that. AT THAT, they tend to shoot their best with full-charge loads, not the mid-range loads everyone has used at Bullseye shooting since moses was a corporal. By the way, you can get these down so low that firing residue dirt-in-the-BBL can stop one of 'em dead in it's tracks. You'll not need the pistolsmith to knock out the LWC's though.

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
WIL TERRY said:

Hi,

Can anyone here cite a single manual that suggests "Something that would be comfortable to fire in airweights, and really easy on the hands out of a SP101 or security six" or similar? I can't...

Rick C
I don't have my manual with me; but went to the range this morning with my J-Frame 38 2" barrel, 158 LSWC pushed with 3.3gr of bullseye. There are easy on my hands. I had some with 4.5gr Unique not so easy. My old Speer manual think #7. Thinking the data starts at 3 gr.

My hands when cold have a lot less strenght.

My mistake on mentioning the jacketed bullets---I meant to say that I have a supply of them but DON'T want to use them for loading up cheap light weight loads.

So the bullseye data shows a light weight load of 3.5gr. Just wondering if someone has in fact loaded and used this with good results???

AGE Ranger said:
Rick Courtright said:
WIL TERRY said:

Hi,

Rick C
I don't have my manual with me; but went to the range this morning with my J-Frame 38 2" barrel, 158 LSWC pushed with 3.3gr of bullseye. There are easy on my hands. I had some with 4.5gr Unique not so easy. My old Speer manual think #7. Thinking the data starts at 3 gr.

My hands when cold have a lot less strenght.

We were typing at the same time. No problems at 3.3---sounds great. Anyone else using something similar???

AGE Ranger

Single-Sixer
AJGUNNER said:
My mistake on mentioning the jacketed bullets---I meant to say that I have a supply of them but DON'T want to use them for loading up cheap light weight loads.

So the bullseye data shows a light weight load of 3.5gr. Just wondering if someone has in fact loaded and used this with good results???
Guess we posted about the same time; went to range this morning with 158gr LSWC Bullseye 3.3 gr. I had my 638? J-Frame 2" barrel. Very easy on my hands. The only reason I shot these is because I was out of my 148gr HBWC. Use anywhere from 2.8 to 3.1gr. My BlackHawk shoots them with 2.8gr extremely accurate.

Chief 101

Hunter
I like a 121 cast slug and 2-2.5 gr of Bullseye, you can find that loading in the Lyman 45th edition. I have substituted 3.0 of 231 powder...great teaching aid with popgun feel...

GasGuzzler

Hunter
I might have to give away all my loading stuff to the government if I ever had an inkling to make a two grain load of bullseye in 38/357. What's the point? To each his own I guess. Carry on.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
my favorite "light loads" are 138 gr Bayou Bullet wad cutters over 4 gr of Unique, or 158 gr cast lrn or swc over 4.3 gr Unique. Simple and efficient for the needs out of a snubbie anyway.