Looking for 45LC Load

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bisley32

Single-Sixer
Anybody have a"Pet Load",using a 255gr hard cast bullet in a 45Lc?Wanting a clean burning powder.I'm currently using W231 and it's pretty dirty.Just wanting a plinking round,not a hot one,I use jacketed for that.I welcome any and all suggestions.Thanks,Bisley32.

J Miller

Blackhawk
231 is "dirty" .... nonsense.

Perhaps compared to a virgin, NIB, unused gun, but it is one of the cleanest powders out there.
Now, the powder fouling does tend to mix with certain bullet lubes and create a gooey sticky grey/black mess. So trying different lubes might help a lot.
A good crimp helps too. 231 likes a nice firm crimp with good neck tension. Doesn't have to be really tight like the big loads, but not loose.

None of which is a problem if you clean your gun.
I shoot a lot of 250-255gr bullets over 7.1grs of 231. Nice factory level load.

Joe

Lee Martin

Hunter
It's not a common load, but like 6.0 of Green Dot under a 255 gr cast in my Rugers. Clean burning and duplicates W231 and Unique velocities with 1 grain less powder.

txpete

Bearcat
I have tried all the new whizz bang powders in the 45 colt funny I always come back to unique,red dot and W231.that said I clean my guns when I come home from the range/hunting.if you don't like cleaning your guns quit shooting.

LAH

Buckeye
Pete you have hurt me deeply.:lol: I hate cleaning sixguns so I kinda wipe the off. You wouldn't be happy if you looked in my safe. :wink:

J Miller

Blackhawk
As for cleaning guns I've been known to wipe off the outside on the inside of my holster and then worry about it later.

I mean, it's not as if I'm firing black powder with corrosive mercuric priming ........ :)

On the serious side I clean most of my guns within a day or so of coming home. Unless I know I'm going to shoot them in the near future.

Joe

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
I get a lot of shmutz on the outside of my cylinder using 231, too. I think it's a combination of the lube and the powder. I use Missouri Bullet Co. bullets. Wipes right off, though.

That 7.1 grain load is a good all day plinking load. Might try running up to 8 grains under a 250-255 gr. bullet (Linebaugh published load) and see if it cleans up a bit.

I use 231 and Power Pistol for most of my 45 Colt stuff now. 9 grains of PP under a 250-255 bullet is darn near perfect.

Rclark

Hunter
Tell you the truth, ... I don't care if it is clean burning or not :) . If it gives me the accuracy I am looking for, then I will use it. Also I like a powder that will fill the case at least half way for normal loads. Want dirty? Triple 7 will get you there quick! Unique is squeaky clean in comparison :) . Truthfully I really have not paid much attention. I've used Unique, 2400, Trail Boss, Green Dot, 4227, W231, and probably a few others (about to try Power Pistol) and I still clean my guns (usually) after a range session. Hate to put back in rug case with dirty cylinders....

SargeMO

Single-Sixer
J Miller said:
231 is "dirty" .... nonsense.

Perhaps compared to a virgin, NIB, unused gun, but it is one of the cleanest powders out there.
Now, the powder fouling does tend to mix with certain bullet lubes and create a gooey sticky grey/black mess. So trying different lubes might help a lot.
A good crimp helps too. 231 likes a nice firm crimp with good neck tension. Doesn't have to be really tight like the big loads, but not loose.

None of which is a problem if you clean your gun.
I shoot a lot of 250-255gr bullets over 7.1grs of 231. Nice factory level load.

Joe

I'm with Joe... 231 is all I use for zero-to-sixty handgun loads and I have found it to lead considerable less than Unique or Universal at similar velocities.

But of course if you just don't like 231 there are plenty of others.

txpete

Bearcat
LAH said:
Pete you have hurt me deeply.:lol: I hate cleaning sixguns so I kinda wipe them off. You wouldn't be happy if you looked in my safe. :wink:

sorry creeker :lol: just spent alot of time in the army :wink: if you looked in my safe you would think I didn't shoot them :lol:

LAH

Buckeye
txpete said:
LAH said:
Pete you have hurt me deeply.:lol: I hate cleaning sixguns so I kinda wipe them off. You wouldn't be happy if you looked in my safe. :wink:

sorry creeker :lol: just spent alot of time in the army :wink: if you looked in my safe you would think I didn't shoot them :lol:

But I know you do. You're like me, can't help but pull the trigger.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Lee Martin said:
It's not a common load, but like 6.0 of Green Dot under a 255 gr cast in my Rugers. Clean burning and duplicates W231 and Unique velocities with 1 grain less powder.

Yep, I like 7.0 grs GD under a 454190 or Lee 252 gr. Accurate plinker/cowboy type load that my young son can shoot accurately...

tek4260: "Linebaugh uses HS-6, and I see why. Try some"

You bet amigo. 13 grs under anything 250ish is a fine all around .45LC load at 1070 fps. 14 grs gets me 1140 fps but 13 just seems like a "right" combo in my 7.5" NMBH and is easy on the brass..

For 1350 fps I use W296... :wink:

txpete

Bearcat
LAH said:
txpete said:
LAH said:

But I know you do. You're like me, can't help but pull the trigger.

638.gif
638.gif

bisley32

Single-Sixer
J Miller,the lube thing seems logical.I use several different Win powders in other loads with good results.Although I've never used 231 until now.Plus in my 25 plus years of reloading I've never used cast bullets,always prefered jacketed or copper plated.I had a chance to buy these for $60 per thousand so decided to give them a try.Thanks for the info.

ps
txpete,a special thanks to you.You have proved my late father correct,again.The only thing worse than a "Dumb A$$" is a "Smart A$$"!Makes me wonder if he had the misfortune of meeting you!You keep polishing,and I'll keep hunting and shooting.Enough said!

txpete

Bearcat
bisley32 said:
J Miller,the lube thing seems logical.I use several different Win powders in other loads with good results.Although I've never used 231 until now.Plus in my 25 plus years of reloading I've never used cast bullets,always prefered jacketed or copper plated.I had a chance to buy these for $60 per thousand so decided to give them a try.Thanks for the info.

ps
txpete,a special thanks to you.You have proved my late father correct,again.The only thing worse than a "Dumb A$$" is a "Smart A$$"!Makes me wonder if he had the misfortune of meeting you!You keep polishing,and I'll keep hunting and shooting.Enough said!

bisley its ass hats like you that keep this place going.its like my father told me there are lots of idiots in this world and you will meet your fair share and he was right.

GAR

Single-Sixer
I load 13 grains of HS-6 under the RCBS 270 SAA that i cast. Sized and lubed it's right at 282 grains. Works great.

Tom