Lightweight .22 rifle recommendations.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Browning .22Auto.........
I have a Norinco knock-off that I bought for $99 before they banned Chinese (?) imports... (did I get that correct?).
Anyway, either the Browning's or Norinco's are so light, you won't know you are carrying them... and my Norico is VERY accurate.
Here's one of many on GunBroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1028764067

I've had one of the knockoff Norincos since the early '90s. I even found an original Browning case for it. It's lightweight and fun to shoot!

What exactly do any of these guns do that a 10-22 can't? A lightweight stock, carbon fiber barrel and a red dot would make a handy, accurate and lightweight package. Maybe you should consider a 22 pistol with an optic?
It's not that the 10/22 is not a great rifle. May get one down the road, but as I have said at least three times on this thread, I prefer the older walnut (wood) and steel approach to the synthetics. Just like some batters prefer wood bats over aluminum....
As to the pistol, I already own a Ruger Mark IV with a scope. Very accurate and very fun. But... it is a different experience from a rifle.
Thanks

Ruger Hunter Mark 4 b.JPG

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I love my lever guns and revolvers, but a black plastic 10 22 seems to be in the woods with me more than the others.
As stated by several others, it does everything as well as any other 22 in the woods, and you just can't hurt it.

Wow! Lots of love for the Remington 5xx series! I have a 510- I actually found it leaning against a tree some 40 years ago. It was rough, but I refinished the stock and it's still one of my favorite .22's. I can also highly recommend the Henry H001- it is as smooth as butter, really slim, accurate, and can be found cheaply. The Ruger American .22 is great also but I wouldn't say it's any easier to pack around than a 10/22.
Really looks nice. Would you mind briefly describing your refinishing process? Especially how you prepped the stock to begin with. I am partial to a boiled linseed oil rubbed finish but I am uncertain the best way to prep the wood.
thanks,

larry8

Single-Sixer
If you want a light weight 22 rifle get a Springfield Stevens Model 15. It's a single shot bolt gun. My father in law gave me his that he bought in 1940 (I believe). It has NO serial number on it, it's very accurate, and fun to shoot.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Turned into quite a thread for .22s. Reminds me of the Remington 581 with a 5 shot clip I owned. Something like a 24-25 inch barrel on that one though. might find on the used gun market for less money.

David Lee Valdina

Single-Sixer
Nobody has mentioned this specially, so I will. One handed carry of a rifle is easiest if the rifle does not have a scope. Beyond that, depending on your hand size, small at the carry point is more comfortable than large, at least for me. I like being able to load the rifle with shorts or Long Rifle ammo, high speed or subsonic. The early Remington and Winchester pump action .22 rifles seem perfect for this.

BuckRimfire

Bearcat
How about a MkII pistol with a 10" barrel? It's basically a carbine that has lost its stock... 😁

Joking aside, it's a pity that we have these silly SBR laws. A stock that clamped onto the grip frame of a Mk-series pistol would be a sweet accessory if it didn't require a tax stamp.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
An Ithaca model 49 is a handy little rifle if you don't mind a single shot. There is also a 22 mag version.
View attachment 36893
Funny ya mentioned that one Gopher. Friend had one in 22 mag back in the late 60s or around 70. His had a problem with ejection of spent cases. Not sure if this was common or not with this model. Only one I ever saw.

Really looks nice. Would you mind briefly describing your refinishing process? Especially how you prepped the stock to begin with. I am partial to a boiled linseed oil rubbed finish but I am uncertain the best way to prep the wood.
thanks,
I refinished this shortly after I found it, so I'm going by memory here. I sanded the stock down to the point where none of the old finish or blemishes were still visible. I applied a fairly thick coat of Tru-Oil, sanding it while it was wet creating a slurry mess, and then wiping it off. I did this a couple of times to make sure it all looked smooth. Once I was happy with that I wiped on several super thin coats of the Tru-Oil. That's about it.

I have done several pistol pistol grips more recently- I like a dark finish so I wipe on some danish oil dark walnut stain. 1-2 coats depending on how dark you want it. Once thats colored to my liking I let it set a few days. Then I start applying the clear finish. I have used oil based poly wipe-on, but that can bite you if you get it too thick. I find that oil based aerosol spar polyurethane gives a nice, smooth, even finish that brings out the depth of the grain. I apply 5-8 thin coats about 20-30 minutes apart. You want it to still be tacky when you go with the next coat. Make sure you apply at room temperature. Once all the coats are on, let it dry. My rule of thumb is if it still smells it's not dry. At room temp, I let it sit 2-3 weeks. Once the smell is gone, I either gently buff it with a grey scotch-brite for a matte finish, or a white scotch brite for a glossier finish. On the glossy ones I sometimes use Meguiars auto wax on a foam pad in my drill to get a perfect shine.
IMG_8424.jpeg

If you want a light weight 22 rifle get a Springfield Stevens Model 15. It's a single shot bolt gun. My father in law gave me his that he bought in 1940 (I believe). It has NO serial number on it, it's very accurate, and fun to shoot.
Great fun piece! I have the same in an old ( about the same age) Marlin. I call it my Barney Fife rifle because I have to carry single rounds in my pocket. It shoots .22, .22LR, and .22 shorts.

I refinished this shortly after I found it, so I'm going by memory here. I sanded the stock down to the point where none of the old finish or blemishes were still visible. I applied a fairly thick coat of Tru-Oil, sanding it while it was wet creating a slurry mess, and then wiping it off. I did this a couple of times to make sure it all looked smooth. Once I was happy with that I wiped on several super thin coats of the Tru-Oil. That's about it.

I have done several pistol pistol grips more recently- I like a dark finish so I wipe on some danish oil dark walnut stain. 1-2 coats depending on how dark you want it. Once thats colored to my liking I let it set a few days. Then I start applying the clear finish. I have used oil based poly wipe-on, but that can bite you if you get it too thick. I find that oil based aerosol spar polyurethane gives a nice, smooth, even finish that brings out the depth of the grain. I apply 5-8 thin coats about 20-30 minutes apart. You want it to still be tacky when you go with the next coat. Make sure you apply at room temperature. Once all the coats are on, let it dry. My rule of thumb is if it still smells it's not dry. At room temp, I let it sit 2-3 weeks. Once the smell is gone, I either gently buff it with a grey scotch-brite for a matte finish, or a white scotch brite for a glossier finish. On the glossy ones I sometimes use Meguiars auto wax on a foam pad in my drill to get a perfect shine.View attachment 36926
Wow, the grips on this are beautiful. Thanks for taking the time to detail the process.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
My very first was a second hand Savage or Stevens with the pull cocking knob at rear of bolt. Might have come from Sears. Wood stock and probably cost around $25-30.

eveled

Hawkeye
For a while I was on a quest to buy any .22 I thought might be fun.
ruger002-1.jpeg

I found that I don't like the short action of .22 bolt actions or pumps. Because it doesn't translate to their center fire counterparts.

But my lever action rifles are the same wether center fire or rim fire. I would never buy a short throw lever action. I'd probably break my fingers. Lol.

TINCANBANDIT is back

Single-Sixer
Be on the lookout for an old Winchester 1890 or 1906. Almost every gun show has some offered for sale.

View attachment 36826

Taurus made a copy of the Winchester model 62 with a 16.5" barrel, and it's a take down. Another one not mentioned is the Marlin model 70P "Papoose", a take down semi-auto.

Attachments

• 2022-02-22 06_21_28-Window.png
    2022-02-22 06_21_28-Window.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 2024-01-06 05_40_49-Slide5.JPG ‎- Photos.png
    2024-01-06 05_40_49-Slide5.JPG ‎- Photos.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 34