LCP Max ejection of unfixed bullet difficulty

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bandaidmd

Bearcat
if you dont forcibly rack the slide it will happen, have to be prepared to pick it up off the table or ground. If you do decide you need something easier ( were all getting older by the minute) the security 380 slide racks super easy.

Richle

Bearcat
I'd say put 200 or 300 rounds thru it before you decide if it needs to be fixed. They do need a break-in.
Had similar issues with new LCP MAX. Did not like my reloads, which worked fine in my Glock 42. I ran a box of factory thru it and it ran fine. So maybe require more break in?

hittman

Staff member
I gotta be honest.
I regret posting this about a year and a half ago. I've since changed my mind.
Provided the gun is cleaned of any grease used during shipping, is properly lubed, using good quality new brass cased ammo and you don't limp wrist … no reason why any gun shouldn't function perfectly right out of the box.
Break-in should be done during the R&D portion with the manufacturer.
This

glockolive

Bearcat
Ugh! Got it back today and it's not fixed. The indentation is still there and it is still difficult to eject unspent casings. I will call them again tomorrow and ask them to send me a barrel, slide, and spring.

hittman

Staff member
You know ….. I see "glock" as part of your User Name …… just sayin'. ;)

glockolive

Bearcat
Ugh! Got it back today and it's not fixed. The indentation is still there and it is still difficult to eject unspent casings. I will call them again tomorrow and ask them to send me a barrel, slide, and spring.
I decided to file down the area until the indentation was no longer visible. That fixed it. It is no longer difficult to eject unspent casings when racking the slide by hand. I can now do the "tap, rack, bang technique" to clear malfunctions. I can eject all 10 rounds quickly and easily by hand. I will still ask Ruger to send me a new slide because the protective coating is now gone and the metal removed might be important. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20230414_011748346_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230414_011748346_HDR~2.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20230414_012824103_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230414_012824103_HDR~2.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

RR885

Bearcat
I have the same issue with my brand new LCP Max, and it's been pretty frustrating.

It's extremely difficult to eject live rounds from the gun. I'm trying to figure out if I should send it in to Ruger, or just try to live with it.

Last edited:

glockolive

Bearcat
I have the same issue with my brand new LCP Max, and it's been pretty frustrating.

It's extremely difficult to eject live rounds from the gun. I'm trying to figure out if I should send it in to Ruger, or just try to live with it.

glockolive

Bearcat
Having extreme difficulty ejecting live rounds is unacceptable for a personal self defense tool that you need to rely on to protect yourself and your loved ones. Ask yourself, "What if I needed to clear a bad round in the chamber?" Some say that it's not designed for that. Are you kidding me?

My video on what happened after I removed the groove defect on the slide. See video description.

gringito

Bearcat
YOU removed the groove defect in the slide by yourself?
How did you do this?
I have the same defect in my slide...

Thanks

glockolive

Bearcat
I used a small triangle file and slowly filed off metal until the groove defect was gone. I'm concerned that the metal removed may be important for reliability and the protective coating is now gone. It's best to ask Ruger customer service to send a new slide that was inspected and verified that it didn't have the groove defect. I'm currently in the process of doing that and should know more tomorrow.

glockolive

Bearcat
Ruger CS got back to me saying: Hello sir, The part of the slide you filed off is call the cartridge recess cut, which is supposed to be on the slide. While it may make live round extraction feel better, it will negatively affect ejection during live fire. Ejection will be weak and erratic. Any replacement slide will still have the cartridge recess cut. Thank you, Erica

My reply to Erica: Hi Erica, I visited a gun store yesterday and took a look at their LCP Max and the groove had smoother edges than what saw on mine. Could you send me another slide? Thanks,*

Ruger CS answered: Hello*, We will send you a new slide and barrel assembly as a courtesy. We do not keep inventory of these parts so I have to request them from production. It can take a couple weeks to receive these parts as we do not manufacture the same firearms every day. Once I receive the part I will email you and let you know it's on the way. If you experience any issues with your new parts please contact us, we do not recommend making any modifications to your firearm. Thank you, Erica

Last edited:

glockolive

Bearcat
Update: After my filing modification, I took it to the range for the very first time. I fired 20 rounds of Armscor 95GR FMJ with no issues. And 10 rounds of Hornady American Gunner 90GR XTP with one FTE. All with no brass to face and most brass ejecting 10 feet away to my 3'oclock to 6'oclock position. Ejection erratic? Maybe, if you consider 3 o'clock to 6 o'clock to be. Ejection weak? 10 feet is not weak to me. Initial thoughts? A bit snappy. Easy to shoot with one hand. Elevation? Good. Windage? Tends to go left. Probably needs adjustment. Trigger? Tons better than its LCP II predecessor. Overall, just like we used to say in the 70's, I'm diggin' it, man!

Last edited:

RR885

Bearcat

Update: I got a new barrel and slide assembly from Ruger, but the new one isn't any different. It's still very hard to eject live rounds from the gun.

They also forgot to send me a return label for sending back the original barrel and slide assembly (they said they would include that in the package). I'm pretty disappointed so far.

To be clear, it IS possible to eject live rounds from my LCP Max. However, I have to do it with a lot more force than any pistol I've ever owned. If I don't rack it perfectly, it won't eject and the round gets stuck on the feed ramp like the picture in post #14. Then I have to drop the mag and rack again in order to eject it at all.

As long as I rack it forcefully, it may not be an issue. It still doesn't seem normal to me, but maybe it is? I'm really not sure what to do now. A replacement barrel and slide assembly didn't fix the issue.

IPSC

Bearcat
Caution.....the "indentation" that Glockolive mentions, and says is the problem, is not the problem....it is there on purpose....don't mess with it. It helps "hold" the cartridge during the firing process, when the other side if the rim is held by the extractor claw. It amazes me on gun forums like this that people present problems and don't take measurements. So lets do this. True enough, the ejection port is meant to be large enough to eject empty shells, but ( also true enough), it still SHOULD be able to eject a loaded round. This becomes ever-more-difficult as the guns get smaller like these pocket pistols.

So here goes-->
- According to SAAMI drawings.... a .380 loaded cartridge has an overall length of 0.980" to 0.984", depending upon bullet type and weight.
- I measured the TOP of the ejection port opening and it's 0.989 " ( ! ).... very little margin.
- I measured the mid-point "side" of the ejection port opening and it's 0.938" on the curved surface, and 0.944" at the top of the extractor.
- Note....bullets can range from 80 to 100+ grains.

This guy in this vid, noticed the same thing....and stuff like this was also found by 1911 guys who fixed it by "lowering the ejection port". See this vid, it helps what can be done and it WILL help the situation. Alternatively.....YES.....breaking-in the gun with some number of break-in rounds will help too...and a "snappy" movement of the slide by hand also will often do the trick, but not a soft/gentle pull. See here, rounding the front/bottom and lower edge of the ejection port fixes brass scrape issues, and also marginally "opens-up" the ejection port area--->

Last edited:

glockolive

Bearcat
Thanks for posting this video. It addresses the dings and scrapes found on spent brass and is important for folks that reload. My LCP Max also has that issue and I do plan on reloading later. Glad that he mentioned about cold bluing. An update on my previous post is a new slide and barrel from Ruger should arrive soon.

IPSC

Bearcat
Aside.... polishing the breechface and other areas as shown in this vid for the earlier model LCP..... would also work for LCP MAX too. Too many people think only to "polish the feed ramp".....the feed ramp is only 1 of maybe 4-5 contact points that need to be smooth.....

Last edited: