LCP ll 22lr disappointment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjac

Bearcat
For deep concealment in hot and sweaty Florida where cargo shorts and t shirts are the norm, I chose LCP ll 22.

70 rounds of CCI 40g HV mini mags yielded 18 FTF (light strike), 8 FTF (no strike, chambered but did not fully cycle)

Is this normal for a NIB gun ? Will this cure with more firing? Or send it back?

My LC9s Pro is trust worthy but a bit too big and heavy.

My other .22lr is a Mark IV and runs flawlessly on CCI ammo.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Have you tried different ammo?
Sometimes, a problem isn't the gun, but the ammo.
And with the recent years of problems even getting ammo, much of the ammo shipped has been "less than reliable."
I'd try a few different types first.
If it still gives you issues,, then a polite call to Ruger will likely get you a pre-paid return shipper, and they will fix whatever the issue may be.

CCI lives on their legacy. Mini-Mags are not the ammo they used to be.

That said, I find it unlikely they are the cause of such a failure rate. Yes, do try some other ammo, strip the pistol down and get it cleaned and properly lubricated, and with no satisfaction, get it sent back to Ruger.

My LCP II in .22 is superb in function. I don't spend a lot of time shooting mouse pistols. This LCP is an exception, as it's actually a fun little gun to shoot. As is my Taurus TX-22 . Who'd a thunk. (y)

hittman

Staff member
I find them all fun to shoot, until or unless they DON'T.
Time then to kick them to the curb.
As I've gotten older I've got way less patience with tools that don't function.
Life's too short for those aggravations.

mjac

Bearcat
CCI lives on their legacy. Mini-Mags are not the ammo they used to be.
Wow. Hellva statement but contrary to the 100's of 1000's of CCI mm bullets that go down range at Bullseye matches I attend. Thus I prefer it.
That said, I find it unlikely they are the cause of such a failure rate. Yes, do try some other ammo, strip the pistol down and get it cleaned and properly lubricated, and with no satisfaction, get it sent back to Ruger.
I'll reach in the grab bag of left over ammo from my Anschutz shooting days. There ought to be something in there that lives on.
Cleaning was first thing done.
My LCP II in .22 is superb in function. I don't spend a lot of time shooting mouse pistols. This LCP is an exception, as it's actually a fun little gun to shoot. As is my Taurus TX-22 . Who'd a thunk. (y)

mjac

Bearcat
I find them all fun to shoot, until or unless they DON'T.
Time then to kick them to the curb.
As I've gotten older I've got way less patience with tools that don't function.
Life's too short for those aggravations.
Agreed and this one won't be around long if it's problem persist.

Wow. Hellva statement but contrary to the 100's of 1000's of CCI mm bullets that go down range at Bullseye matches I attend. Thus I prefer it.
I've shot thousands of Mini Mags too, and shoot more of them than any other.

And I've had batches that were junk, either in accuracy or in reliability. My point is, even our beloved Mini Mags can suffer the woes of super-mass-production.

Light strikes definitely concerning unless its just not really going into full battery most of the time. If you are getting into a lot of 22lr I've found these atacpro snap caps on amazon are very helpful for checking out how well firing pin hits the round without wasting ammo. If you do get them be careful as they are fragile and come apart so make sure you find and remove all pieces if one comes apart in your firearm. They really are single use each but I've found worth it to make sure firing pin makes a good hit.
Disappointing to hear performance on yours and if after a cleaning/lube it does the same at range I'd also be inclined to do what others have said and send it back to the mothership for correction.

22lrsnapcap.png

I've been very pleased with my original LCP Custom .380. A bit smaller than the LCP II with a DA "feeling" trigger. It carries well in a front pocket with holster. Also my Ruger LCR .22lr with the Hogue bantam grip replacing the standard Hogue tamer grip fit very well in the front pocket and I don't have to deal with all the issues of a .22 semi auto. :) And I can shoot cheap bulk to expensive self defense ammo. I shoot the LCR often. The DA trigger is smooth like all LCRs but the pull weight is around 14 lbs instead of 9 lbs for the centerfire LCRs. Great trigger practice for all handgun shooting.

I bought a used LCP II .22 not long ago and had FTFs that were unlike my experience with one I bought new. Upon inspection, the firing pin was damaged at the tip. I don't think the gun is designed to allow dry firing. The slide was not peened from FP hits, so I am guessing it is harder than the FP. There was visible peening to the FP. Ruger sent me a new one and the problem was solved.

I'm not against sending the gun back to Ruger, but before I would do that, I'd take it out 3 or 4 more times and try different ammo as suggested.

I had a SP101 in 327, it was wildly inaccurate. I just hated to shoot it really.

So a couple summers ago, I focused on that gun, took it to the range about 4 times, I really tried hard to focus on how I was shooting. I was slow and deliberate in everything.

After wasting a whole lot of ammo, (factory ammo of different grain and my reloaded ammunition with different powders) I sent it back and Ruger replaced the cylinder and a couple springs.

That gun is a joy to shoot and laser accurate out to 25 yards. Just night and day.

But I made sure it was the gun, and not me or the ammo.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Try some different ammo. If it's still having problems don't waste any more ammo and send it back to Ruger.

I've got 4450 rounds of primarily bulk Federal Automatch through mine with less than 10 malfunctions. These are great pocket rockets, but you may have gotten a lemon.

mjac

Bearcat
Cleaned it again mostly because I clean my other autos before trying other ammo.

I have a few hundred of your Fed Automatch packed up, plus some Fed gold metal target, and some Eley to try. My shooing partner is bringing other mystery ammo also.

Range day is tomorrow.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I have found that most of the little pocket poppers are a bit finicky. Even my Bretta 21A Bobcat can be. Likes CCI stingers and most CCI ammo, Winchester bulk ammo also works. Remington golden .22 LR yep nope not a chance

I'm not against sending the gun back to Ruger, but before I would do that, I'd take it out 3 or 4 more times and try different ammo as suggested.

I had a SP101 in 327, it was wildly inaccurate. I just hated to shoot it really.

So a couple summers ago, I focused on that gun, took it to the range about 4 times, I really tried hard to focus on how I was shooting. I was slow and deliberate in everything.

After wasting a whole lot of ammo, (factory ammo of different grain and my reloaded ammunition with different powders) I sent it back and Ruger replaced the cylinder and a couple springs.

That gun is a joy to shoot and laser accurate out to 25 yards. Just night and day.

But I made sure it was the gun, and not me or the ammo.
Thanks for the info, an SP101 in 327 is on my bucket list but I don't have any experience with them really.
Yours is helpful for sure!

I have a Taurus 942 in 3" barrel that has had some trouble, it actually just froze up on me one day at range but I've been able to clean it out and get it working. Front sight isn't great in all lighting and I'm thinking about the optional front sight they have for it for $30 or so. Much rather get another Model 63 or an SP101 22lr but that has to wait for some cash available just like the 327. I love the 4" Model 63 I have but it is so old the FP is shot along with what I expect a timing or gap issue as its a lead sprayer and just not safe. Sending it back for potential repair is an option but a new one sounds better. I like 8 shot 22lr revolvers they are fun (expect for cleaning...).

mjac

Bearcat
Cleaned it again mostly because I clean my other autos before trying other ammo.

I have a few hundred of your Fed Automatch packed up, plus some Fed gold metal target, and some Eley to try. My shooing partner is bringing other mystery ammo also.

Range day is tomorrow.
Well range day didn't happen. Smoke from a nearby mulch processing facility fire closed the range. Or rather closed the road to the range. RSO's, which I am one of, could not get in.

Meanwhile I found some old Winchester Wildcat and Winchester Super X ammo to try. Anyone familiar with either of these two?

Very familiar with Wildcat and Super-X. The Super-X was well thought of in its day. There was nothing special about it, but like so much quality ammo of earlier times, there was no reason to question it.

Wildcat, on the other hand, is not always thought of highly. I've used a lot of it, and bottom line, is it works about as well as anything else. Folks claim it's dirty, but after shooting a lifetime of rimfire, I've found all rimfire ammo is dirty. :)

mjac

Bearcat
I figured it was a bit old based upon the 8 or 9 bucks a 500 rd box sticker price. Anyway it was gifted to me years ago and forgotten, so why not try it.

I also bought a few CCI stingers to try. There was not much else locally to try.

I figured it was a bit old based upon the 8 or 9 bucks a 500 rd box sticker price. Anyway it was gifted to me years ago and forgotten, so why not try it.

I also bought a few CCI stingers to try. There was not much else locally to try.
If it has been stored "cool and dry" no reason it won't work. I had an elderly uncle give me a couple of boxes of Peter's 22s back in the 60s that were "OLD" everyone of them fired. Wish I still had those two boxes, I could be living a comfortable life on the dividends from the worth of those two boxes of 22s.

Latest posts