LCP II Troubles

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
My Walther P22 was a Jam-O-Matic...... nothing I could do to make it reliable..... so I sold it and replaced it with a Ruger SR-22...... Night and Day !!!

hittman

Staff member
And on the other hand my P22 has been rock solid! Never a hiccup LOL.
With anything mass produced it's sometimes just the luck of the draw,

hittman

Staff member
My oldest daughter and her hubby EACH have a SR22 …. 'Cause she likes purple. 🤮

In my 15 years of gunsmithing, feeding issues in semiautomatic handguns are magazine related 80% of the time. Believe it or not, a magazine is a precise instrument especially for a 22LR. In the past I have heard how unreliable the P08 Luger, the problems are related to a flimsy sheet metal magazine with a follower tab. I bought a quality Swiss made magazine 50 years ago, fed 100%. The worse thing one can do is load up the magazine and using the follower tab, depress the follower and a full load of cartridges and let it pop back up repeatedly. This is no more than a slide hammer that opens the magazine lips up allowing the cartridge to "ride high" and overshoot the chamber.

40Gravity

Bearcat
Cleaned and lightly lubed the pistol last night. (this had been done prior to the first outing) Went back to the range today and ran 100 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag (40 gr.) and 60 rounds of Winchester (small game, target, plinking also 40gr) thru the pistol. Had 7 failed to fires that I ran back thru and they fired on the second go. No jamming or failing to feed,
BUT the slide stop engaged itself numerous times before the magazine was empty. The range boss stepped in and fired the pistol with me as well so we could determine that the slide stop was not being inadvertently touched or engaged by the shooter. I'm going to contact Ruger and see about the possibility of them sending a replacement magazine and see if that remedies the problem. If a new magazine doesn't do the trick, I'll start the process of letting them look at it. Like I said earlier, this is not my pistol. These type of pistols are not my favorite, but when this thing ran right I found it fun to shoot. I really do appreciate all the relplies. Nice to have the other shooters relay their experiences and advice.

40Gravity

Bearcat
A call to Ruger this morning and after a productive conversation a new magazine is being sent out at no charge. Was advised that if the pistol still insisted on engaging the slide lock on a magazine still containing ammunition, simply call back and they will initiate the procedure to get the pistol back to them for assessment and repair. Great experience with customer service!

40Gravity

Bearcat
Two new magazines arrived from Ruger on Thursday. On Friday, after another thorough cleaning, I took the new magazines and pistol to the range to see if the problem of the slide locking open with ammunition still in the magazine disappeared or persisted. 420 rounds down range and could only mange two magazines full that didn't malfunction. The slide lock continued to engage itself with ammunition present in the magazine. Unless I have 3 defective magazines, I think they can be ruled out. Called Ruger, return label printed, pistol on its way back. Stay tuned.

40Gravity

Bearcat
Shipped the pistol to Ruger on Friday the 16th. Received an email on Wednesday the 20th that they had received the pistol. Another email this morning (21st) stating that the pistol has been repaired and a tracking number and shipping information is forthcoming. I will be posting after we receive the pistol and have a chance to get to the range and try to put it through its paces. Super quick turnaround!!

jav

Single-Sixer
Shipped the pistol to Ruger on Friday the 16th. Received an email on Wednesday the 20th that they had received the pistol. Another email this morning (21st) stating that the pistol has been repaired and a tracking number and shipping information is forthcoming. I will be posting after we receive the pistol and have a chance to get to the range and try to put it through its paces. Super quick turnaround!!
I heard that about ruger very good customer support

Actnbill

Single-Sixer
Ruger customer service is the best !!!!

I am guessing that they replaced the recoil spring.....( maybe all the springs on it )

jav

Single-Sixer
Ruger customer service is the best !!!!

I am guessing that they replaced the recoil spring.....( maybe all the springs on it )
I replaced a recoil spring to a heavy duty by mccarbo nothing but trouble went back to the ruger oem everything work great . I did replace the take pin to a heavy duty one and a stainless guide rod it's all good 👍

40Gravity

Bearcat
Pistol arrived on Monday the 26th. Repair ticket stated that "firing pin spring, hammer assembly and slide stop spring were replaced and pistol was test fitted with 30 rounds of Aguila ammunition with no malfunctions". The type of ammunition or the bullet weight were not provided. Pistol went to the range with me on Wednesday the 28th. I had a brick of Winchester Wildcat ammunition. In 50 rounds I had 9 rounds that failed to fire and 6 failures to feed. I also had a 50 round box of Aguila 36gr. high velocity hollow point. Fired the first round and the pistol failed to chamber the second round, but after clearing the jam it fired the remaining 49 rounds without a hitch. Slide stop never engaged until the magazine was empty and had no failures to fire. The only odd thing is that I also had in tow an Sig Sauer Mosquito, a Walter P22, a 1961 vintage Ruger Bearcat and a 1961 vintage Ruger Single Six. The four handguns digested the Winchester Wildcat ammunition
(approx. 400 rounds) without a hiccup. At any rate the little LCP II is functioning more like it should. Looks like a person will have to stick to the Aguila high velocity and possibly the CCI Mini-Mag. Me wonders how well any of new Ruger stuff would sell if it had a prominent orange sticker on the box that read, "the likelihood of this firearm needing to be sent back to get it to function correctly is very high". Just a thought.

40Gravity

Bearcat
Not sure where the pistol was produced. I don't know how to determine that. I do know it went to Mayodan for the repair work.

hittman

Staff member
My junk ones were from Prescott. . . . . . One with trigger pinch and the other light primer strikes,

jav

Single-Sixer
Mine is from mayodan it's been pretty good for me it does trigger pinch me every once in a while

Latest posts