LC9?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan Frontier

Bearcat
I've had my LC9 for a few weeks now. Two trips to the range and about 250 rounds through it, it has been 100% reliable. No problems of any kind. No FTE, FTF. One guy on you tube in his review said his slide didn't always lock back after the last shot was fired, but mine has never had this issue.

I should add, that I did thoroughly clean it and removed all the grease before I took it out shooting. I've heard that if you don't clean any new gun well before using it the grease will cause problems. Why do the manufacturers put that thick Vasoline like grease in it anyway?

The trigger does take a bit to get used to but once you learn where it breaks you can get better.

Would definitely recommend it.

welder

Buckeye
Why do the manufacturers put that thick Vasoline like grease in it anyway? QUOTE

Long term shelf storage I'm told. I recently bought an unfired P89. The thing still has the factory grease in it and it has plenty. Not sure what they use but it has staying power.

lovemydals

Buckeye
Well, I was able to make time to go to the range today with my new LC9. I put about 200 rounds through it & not a single malfunction. It functioned flawlessly with a variety of FMJ & Winchester Silvertip JHP ammo. Having a preference for revolvers, the long trigger pull was not a problem for me. I did appreciate the extended floorplate on the magazine. Looking forward to my next range time with my LC9.

lmd

GKC

Blackhawk
I like the trigger on my LC9. It isn't like the trigger on a 1911, of course...but it isn't terrible by a long stretch, and not as bad as some DA pistols I have had. Mine seems long but smooth, and doesn't have any grit in it. I've very pleased with it.

My wife has dry fired it (she hasn't fired it live yet) and had no problems with it at all. She likes the trigger on it better than any other gun I have, other than my 1911s.

RichBMW

Bearcat
I have a deposit on an LC9 but my gunshop has not received any yet. I did see one at a Tampa gunshow but the seller was asking $550 (!!!) for it, so I handled it and moved on. Anyone here know of a place that has them in stock (especially in the Tampa FL area)??

Laserlips

Bearcat
BulkAmmo said:
I have to be honest that I'm holding off on picking up an LC9 until there is a way to make the trigger a bit better. The build quality is great and perfectly concealable, but after shooting a range rental. I noticed that the long trigger pull was just a bit too long for my wife to be accurate with it.

BA:

I'm 68 years old.... I bought my LC9, brought it home and removed the 4 lbs of gunk that it has in it from the factory and took it out back for a test..

Yes, the trigger pull is long, but I prefer that in a cc pistol because it reduces the chances of having an accidental discharge.

By the 2nd mag I was able to shoot a group, at 7 yards, that could be covered by a 50c piece. (If you could find one to measure it with).

Or, the long trigger pull is not so bad that a person can't hit what he/she wants to hit at any reasonable self defense distance..

No offense,

Jesse

onetrack

Bearcat
I really wanted an LC9 but after handling one and comparing to a Kahr PM9, it's just seems big. The LC9 is actually about the same size as the Kahr CW9.

Anyway, my wife and I shot the PM9 demo gun and really liked it. So, I bought a Kahr CM9 a few days ago as a carry gun. Have the SR9c and it works perfectly also.

Chuck41

Bearcat
I wouldn't worry much about the guy with the "dog poop" LC9. Actually I am looking for him to make him an offer for that piece of poop. I would give him $100 and take it off his hands, just to be a nice guy don't you know.

I have had one on order for two months for $337 whenever he can get it in. Looks like it might be a lot longer than I had originally thought. Couple have shown up at local shops, but they wanted really premium prices for them and even at those prices they went quickly. According to my LGS guy most of the more popular pistols are really hard to get right now for some reason. Said he has tried through several distributors with pretty much the same story. I am promised the first one that comes in his door.

Lotsa folks critical of the long trigger pulls. These are little tiny guns. There is no free lunch.

If the trigger pull was shorter, then it would have to be heavier.

These are not target pistols.

WAYNO.

Boge

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
Lotsa folks critical of the long trigger pulls. These are little tiny guns. There is no free lunch.

WAYNO.

The trigger pull is that way because of the mag disconnect. :wink: It can be removed however:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/firearm-cleaning-maintenance/121751-ruger-lc9-magazine-disconnect-removal.html

Rabon

Single-Sixer
I'm working thru a few issues but like the gun. I thought I would struggle with the trigger but warmed up to it rather quickly, I was also suprised by the accuracy of the small gun. My front sight did shoot loose, but it should be an easy fix.

Chuck41

Bearcat
Boge said:
WAYNO said:

WAYNO.

The trigger pull is that way because of the mag disconnect. :wink: It can be removed however:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/firearm-cleaning-maintenance/121751-ruger-lc9-magazine-disconnect-removal.html
Perhaps I am missing something here. Will removing the mag disconnect change the trigger pull? :?:

I can't imagine going to the pain of removing that mag disconnect unless I actually get something of real value for doing so. I cannot see that disconnect being a problem to me personally. I seldom want to fire a pistol without a mag in it. Likewise the safety that you don't have to use if you don't want to and the trigger lock don't bother me either. I can't imagine that any of these would decrease the reliability of the firearm anywhere near as much as . . . say . . . buying a Tarus?

These things receive a regular bashing in the forums, but they are there to satisfy certain states that won't allow the guns to be sold there without them. Can't really blame Ruger for wanting them to be available for sale in every state it can, especially if they make them so actual use of the features are optional.

Terry T

Buckeye
First range session with my new LC9 this morning. Shoots to POA. If I settle down and watch the sights - I'm in the bull's eye (we were shooting at 30 feet). I'll need some more practice to keep the groups small at rapid fire, but even so, I was on the paper and then some. Did about 150 rounds. At about the 15th round, I had a failure to eject with steel case Wolf ammo. That was the only malfunction. I'm very pleased with it. Like any new piece, it will take some practice but for a first time out, I'm impressed. :D
Terry T

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
The trigger pull was/is unbelievably long and difficult. You think it's never going to get there. The recoil was "substantial" but since it's a pocket pistol, hopefully you'll seldom have to fire it after initial familiarization. I am a pretty good shot, but I was not able to get a group smaller than 2-3 inches @ 10 yards offhand. This was due to the terribly-long trigger.
The gun is nicely melted, which is much smoother (and easier on my hands) than the SR9c that I bought last Spring. The heavier SR9c, not promoted as a pocket-pistol, shot much tighter groups in my hands.
Quite frankly, it's my buddy's gun and I wouldn't own it. I realize that any light handgun is going to exhibit significant recoil. However, many posters are praising it, and it does do what it's supposed to do.
This is NOT a gun I want to take to the range to have fun with. I don't own or carry any kind of a pocket-pistol, although I don't deny the advantages in carrying one. And if you want a pocket-pistol, I think this is a very light example, good value for the money, which will print very little.
It was perfectly reliable during our time at the range, which is the main point.
Sonny

Boge

Single-Sixer
You can remove the mag disconnect per the instructions I posted, but it is complicated and arduous. The LC9 is a very complicated little gun IMO. Many little springs & doo hickies. With that said it accomplishes well that for which it is meant. I am going to make mine a "BUG"/truck gun. A gun in reserve so to speak for emergencies only. Something I would only need when the adrenaline is pumping and won't notice the long trigger pull. FWIW, mine is a naildriver. I have put 8 rds. into a ragged hole at 10 yds. by really bearing down.

Ridge1976

Single-Sixer
RichBMW said:
I have a deposit on an LC9 but my gunshop has not received any yet. I did see one at a Tampa gunshow but the seller was asking $550 (!!!) for it, so I handled it and moved on. Anyone here know of a place that has them in stock (especially in the Tampa FL area)??

I picked mine up at A-1 Tactical on 54th Avenue in Lealman (over by Pinellas Park) for $481.15 out the door. They only had one at the time and I snatched it up. I'm not sure if they have anymore in stock now.

Boge

Single-Sixer
Ridge1976 said:
...I picked mine up at A-1 Tactical on 54th Avenue in Lealman (over by Pinellas Park) for $481.15 out the door...

:shock: Sportsman's Warehouse has a sale ongoing now for $339.

Duck shooter 07

Bearcat
Got mine a few weeks ago nothing wrong with mine.... Love it! Put a few hundrud rounds thru it trigger works great! I agree no free lunches!

4521dln

Single-Sixer
i am considering buying a lc9, iam curious on how the recoil is? i have a lcp is recoil 2x as much?? i shoot 45acp / 44 mag is it comparable to either of these?? my wife is recoil sensitive she thinks her 9mm sigma has alot of recoil, i would have to assume the lc9 has considerbley more recoil than the sigma thanks