LC9 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Glupy said:
thumbs said:
Dave

The way I figure it if I can't carry in my back pocket and need to carry at the waist the size really isn't that critical.

Anyone have any thoughts on the pm9?

Well said, better than me anyway.

I think that the $650 cost of the PM9 makes me wait to see the new Sig 290 and the new Kimber Solo. Every Sig I ever owned was perfect. Never owned a Kimber.

Dave

Good luck on the PM9. I did alot of research on it and they are hit and miss. Some love them and many have problems right out of the box. They tell you not to rely on it for 200 rounds right in the instructions...WFT?? It's not for me.

I had a look at the Kimber Solo today and that is 1 sweet pocket pistol. They only had 1 and weren't sure when they would ship, but I was told it shot tight groups but it had quite alot of kick. It's alum. frame so the recoil will be harsher then poly, but it's about the best trigger I've felt....ever.

Yawn

Blackhawk
I really do not mean to belabor the same point, as I have mentioned this before (and I think and do hope that Ruger does well with the LC9) but I really think that they missed it with the size of this gun. I would be interested in a pocket 9 with the features and Rugerness the LC9 has... but this is not a pocket gun. And I wouldn't want to holster the LC9 when I can just as easily holster an SR9 or SR9c or what have you. Just hearing people mention this and seeing those pics... it re-amazed me about this all over again. Ok, rant over! Glad to hear the LC9 has the Ruger rugged and flawlessness they are becoming reknown for!

thumbs

Single-Sixer
I've been runnin around to some shops for the past couple of days. I am trying to keep my mind open for a "pocket" 9mm. Seems to my the SR9c really isn't that much bigger than the LC9.

Mrbumps
Have you tried o carry your LC9 and your SR9c in either your front or back pocket? I figure both are a bit large for the back pocket but do they carry well in the front pocket? Just wondering if the LC9 is just that little bit smaller to front pocket carry.

Verndog

Blackhawk
thumbs said:
I've been runnin around to some shops for the past couple of days. I am trying to keep my mind open for a "pocket" 9mm. Seems to my the SR9c really isn't that much bigger than the LC9.

Mrbumps
Have you tried o carry your LC9 and your SR9c in either your front or back pocket? I figure both are a bit large for the back pocket but do they carry well in the front pocket? Just wondering if the LC9 is just that little bit smaller to front pocket carry.

You wont be pocket carrying the 9c unless your first name is God and last name is Zilla. It does however holster carry quite well. 8)

mrbumps

Blackhawk
thumbs said:

Mrbumps

The LC9 fits in both front, or back pocket of my jeans, but I don't think it would be a comfortable carry in either place. Cargo Pants pockets probably wouldn't be back. The SR9c is way to big/thick for pocket carry.

vbruger

Bearcat
just got my LC9 today in Virginia Beach. Shot about 30 round through it and then had to get back to work. First impression is good. I was a little unsure after seeing the pictures comparing the SR9c and the LC9 because they don't look that much different. After holding the gun it definitely is smaller than the SR9c. I was said its a good balance between the LCP & SR9c. I have shot both of those. I love the SR9c but wasn't crazy about the LCP. After the first 30 rounds I think I'm going to like the LC9. I definitely like the way it fits in my 5.1 Tactical holster shirt better than the SR9c. My groupings were much better with the LC9 than with the LCP. With a couple of sight adjustment I should be grouping like I do with the SR9c. Sights are 10 times better than LCP.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Glad the first impression went well. Where did you buy yours from?

wkeller

Bearcat
I have my LC9 on order, reading all of these reports and growing more and more impatient! :D I currently carry a Glock 36 in the 5.1 Tactical T-Shirt. Actually fits better than you might think, but I am really looking forward to the LC9. Keep the reports comin'!

vbruger

Bearcat
Superior Pawn in Virginia Beach. Longer trigger pull than the SR9c. I love the way it carries though. Much more concealable than the SR9c.

flkent

Bearcat
Received a call from my LGS about 1:00 this afternoon - they just received two LC9's. I went right over to check them out. I was impressed with the feel and size. I dry fired both of them - the first one had a little creep at the end, but the second one broke pretty smooth. I'm guessing somewhere between 7 and 8 lbs.

Went home, grabbed my range bag and some ammo and went back to the range. I did not break it down and clean it, just wiped off some of the excess oil inside the slide where I could reach it. I fired 50 rounds of 115 gr. ball, starting from a rest and POI was fairly consistently low. Then I went to 50 rounds of 124 gr. ball and the sights were dead on, both from a rest and off-hand. Might just be me getting used to it. I also ran 20 rounds of 124 gr. Gold Dot JHP +P's through it, and 20 rounds of 115 gr. Hornady CD's and the sights seemed to be dead on with both of those rounds. There were no malfunctions of any kind - still trying to wipe the smile off my face.

It appears that Ruger designed the slide lock to be a "lock" versus a "release" similar to the SR9 series, however, after about 75 rounds I was able to get it to operate as a release. Even operating it as a lock it was not as difficult to chamber the first round as my SR9c was initially.

Next challenge is to find a good OWB holster for it that rides high and tight. I found an inexpensive Tagua belt slide holster for a Bersa 380 which fits well and has good retention, but it's not quite what I want. I'm sure I'll be able to find somethiing better in the near future.

In summary, I think Ruger has another hit with the LC9. I now have the entire family - LCP, LC9 and SR9c. Another happy Ruger customer x3.

Post Script: One of the guns had a white paper dot on the slide, the other one a green dot. I don't know what that means, but it's similar to what they did with the LCP's - I never did hear what the different colors meant (my LCP still has the orange dot on the slide).

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
You got an lcp with an orange dot-OH MY!!! Be carefull with that one!!!

Just kidding it should be just fine! My understanding is the different colored dots represent the different final assembler's bench where the gun would have been put together. Kind of like a signature of individual signing off on there work.

flkent

Bearcat
jgr1974 said:
You got an lcp with an orange dot-OH MY!!! Be carefull with that one!!!

Just kidding it should be just fine! My understanding is the different colored dots represent the different final assembler's bench where the gun would have been put together. Kind of like a signature of individual signing off on there work.

Not only an orange dot, but a recall. I wouldn't mind if they recalled the LC9's, since I'd probably get a free mag with extension and another cool hat!