LC9: likes/dislikes? UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dsb1829

Bearcat
Bringing an older thread back up, it's still relevant.

I sold my lc9 after a few months. IMO it is too big to pocket carry and too small to shoot accurately with ease. Basically I find it to be stuck in the middle.

As far as function, mine was flawless. Not one hiccup in the ~300rd shot. Accuracy was good, better than I expected. I would recommend this gun to someone who has bigger pockets or smaller hands.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Rev, 'ole Buddy, WE GET IT-AGAIN :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

You do not like Ruger centerfire semis; bad triggers, not precise enough, maybe not accurate out of the box, plastic sucks, and on, and on, and on.

I would suggest you post a "sticky" titled "Rev's Take on Ruger." Post this and you won't have to post your opinion (which does not change) again, and again, and, well you know...again. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And maybe the best part... we won't have to wade through the same message on every topic that tries to discuss Ruger Semis in meaningful ways. 'ole Buddy, it is a distraction and IMHO steers most threads off the originators course.

OR, lets have the moderators make a new topic called "For you Ruger Bashers", and I am sure you will reign supreme. There is no one better at it, you da man.

Whats you think :?: :?: :?:

I am just giving you a bad time, but it is food for thought :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AZshooter

Bearcat
revhigh said:
cleveland said:
Dislikes:
TRIGGER TRIGGER TRIGGER!!!
Shoots high
Inconsistent groupings

If I can not overcome the issue of inconstant groups and the trigger pull, then I will be selling it.

LOL !!! Didn't you try the trigger before you bought the gun ?? :D Looks like you've discovered (and pretty quickly) why I won't own any of Ruger's semiautos, and the P95 is one of the best in Ruger's lineup. Still waiting on the 1911 to prove itself. Ruger's semiauto DA/SA triggers are the worst on the planet. I don't know why they haven't refined them over the years. In the two guns that I owned, a P89 and a P91, there was no way to tell when the gun would go off ... the triggers were almost random in the way they released the sear. To say nothing of the 3/4 inch long pull, and varying amonts of pressure needed during the pull. If you want a great trigger, buy a 1911 in 9MM, or if you still want high capacity, try a Sig P226 or a CZ75B in your local store. All DA/SA triggers are not as bad as the Rugers.

REV

I bought a P345 about a year after they were first introduced - the trigger ain't your Daddy Bill's typical semi auto trigger. It is sharp, crisp and everything I expected from a semi auto trigger - and right outta the box. Not anything like my P89's mushy trigger.

So don't go lumping all Ruger triggers together as bad.

AZshooter

Bearcat
diehard2013 said:
Sir
I recently acquired a ruger lc9
serial # 320-XXXXXX which i really like
seems to fill all the things i was looking for an upgrade from my ppk.
however the first time i took it to the
range after 100 rnds i got several light primer strikes / fail to fire.
took it home and observed that the firing pin was gritty in its movement and did not extend all the way forward.
all the time.
i repaired the problem by working the firing pin back and forth many times till i got the full range of movement everytime.next i sprayed some wd 40 thru a straw into the firing pin hole on the breechface and received 10-15 silver in color metal shavings.
please pass this info to the " guys on the line"

Thank you

D. Gillum

Better to disassemble it & clean it all up - I had some red residue - possibly residual rust from bluing & fine grit inside mine & a good wipedown & cleanout with a Q-Tip and it's much smoother now.

I've read that you can also smooth up the gritty portion of the triggerpull by removing the firing pin block & smoothing it up with an abrasive impregnated dremel wheel - something I'll worry about disassembling later this weekend.

A

Anonymous

I'll just say this, the triggers on my SR9 and SR9c are, on a scale of 1-10, probably a 7 (hard to really give them an exact number, but they are very good in my opinion). My P944 is a 2.5.

My P944 is so ridiculously reliable, I can't even imagine a more reliable hand gun, but the trigger is absolute junk. My SR guns triggers are so much better that it seems idiotic to even compare them.

I have two Spanish Star pistols, one a DA/SA and it's not all that reliable, but the trigger is so much better than the P944 also.

Rev and I have disagreed before, but he's right about many of the P series triggers...boy do they suck on an otherwise decent gun with Glock like reliability.

Medic538

Bearcat
My only weapons handling was in the military. USMC 74-81. I was an Aviation Ordnance Technician. After boot camp we only fired the M-16 A1 once a year. 5 rds to sight then 200, 300 and 500 yds. Loved the M16. I'm not a natural, but qualified as Expert. I'm 53 and have wanted a pocket handgun for some time. Read, researched, asked questions till I was on overload. Went to Shooters Choice in Dover, DE and handled the Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact. My first choice, but too large for pocket carry. I personally wanted a thumb safety. The LC9 fit nice in my pocket and Ruger's reputation is outstanding. I've been to the range twice. 100 rds first day. 200 rds today. Besides my OLD EYE requiring trying to figure glasses or contacts my only issue (not complaint) is the long trigger pull. Targeting at 7 yds and 10 yds. I've put them in the Bulls Eye (and out to the 6 ring too) at both distances. I don't waste time, and can say I fire pretty fast. I like the LC9 and am happy with my purchase. Price was well below $400 (need to chk receipt). Got two extra mags, came in today. Definitely need the pinky extension. Those without wore the skin off my thumb knuckle. With the pinky extension it's easier to hold. Hope this helps. If a local gun store with range rents an LC9 I'd recommend going that route first. The trigger pull may turn you off.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
I have had mine since they first came out and I still Love it! :D

Small enough to carry easily and it's 9mm....

I'd buy it again. :p

Lateck,

Sky1

Bearcat
I fired the LC9 at the range, I really wanted to like it cause I loved the features. But after shooting it I was more like ho hum. It's okay I guess.

rogerthedodger

Bearcat
diehard2013 said:
Sir
I recently acquired a ruger lc9
serial # 320-XXXXXX which i really like
seems to fill all the things i was looking for an upgrade from my ppk.
however the first time i took it to the
range after 100 rnds i got several light primer strikes / fail to fire.
took it home and observed that the firing pin was gritty in its movement and did not extend all the way forward.
all the time.
i repaired the problem by working the firing pin back and forth many times till i got the full range of movement everytime.next i sprayed some wd 40 thru a straw into the firing pin hole on the breechface and received 10-15 silver in color metal shavings.
please pass this info to the " guys on the line"

Thank you

D. Gillum
On some other forums, they recommend using a non-chlorinated brake cleaner, or contact cleaner to clean out the firing pin chamber. WD40 will leave a sticky residue. Then, dry out with air pressure. This will keep from having lite strikes, and should also be done before the first range trip.
Roger