Laser Accuracy - Overcoming "The Shakes"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ConradM

Blackhawk
Wow, this took off. :lol:

Pretty much what Rev said, if you train with a laser it's a crutch. You should be training with your sights. If you DO train with your sights like you should, then a laser will actually slow you down in any light.

I'm not going to make any bold epeen claims about me being faster than you. BUT, I do know that I shoot much slower with a laser. It's that big difference of tracking your sights vs. looking over them for that dot. Transitions are also much slower with a laser.

As far as low-light shooting, I have a weapon light for that as everyone should. Hopefully there aren't people that are relying on just a laser for low-light conditions.

Hazama Yakiba

Single-Sixer
Funny thing is in part, I agree with most all of you.

I only posted the "concept" because not everyone is a pro or well versed combat/competition shooter, and after witnessing people struggling to keep a dot on the Bullseye, I offered the concept as an alternative, nothing more...nothing less.

I had no idea a simple post on a laser concept would stir such controversy among seasoned Forum Members !

Haz ps. next post: "XS Big Dot Sights" improves accuracy !!!

ConradM

Blackhawk
rj2 said:
i dont use lazers but i always thought they would be helpful in a situation where you cant use your 'muscle memory' to get proper stance, draw weapon to armslength, gain perfect sight picture in the dark, etc...

may have already been mentioned but didnt feel like sifting through the bickering/fluff

You can train to get a sight picture in awkward stances. Many classes teach that.

ConradM

Blackhawk
Hazama Yakiba said:
Funny thing is in part, I agree with most all of you.

I only posted the "concept" because not everyone is a pro or well versed combat/competition shooter, and after witnessing people struggling to keep a dot on the Bullseye, I offered the concept as an alternative, nothing more...nothing less.

I had no idea a simple post on a laser concept would stir such controversy among seasoned Forum Members !

Sorry man, didn't mean to start a s$#@ storm. I just feel the need to express my opinion about lasers whenever they're mentioned.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
HA ha HA ha :D

Well, I guess me being busy at work and needing to reload some rounds for the weekend makes me late for the game.

I have a ton of pistols and only one has a laser on it (CTC grip). I bought the gun because it was the only CZ P-01 I could find at the time. My friend had a P-01 and I liked it so much I just had to have one. So I settled for the one with the factory installed laser.

I regard lasers as toys, I have said that before here and elsewhere, I've only kept it on this gun because my friends that don't shoot much think it's fun.

Sorry but to me they are just another wallet emptying device.

It's the one above my SR9 (pre-trigger recall):

DSCI0001.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hazama Yakiba said:

No controversy whatsoever as far as I'm concerned ... just spirited discussion ... which is what makes this forum great. It's why I never get personal ... I try to stick to the subject. If people disagree with me ... great .... maybe I'll learn something by hearing other opinions. At least that's the way I look at it. I welcome disagreement with my opinions. I just prefer when disagreements are handled civilly and not personally.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
I regard lasers as toys, I have said that before here and elsewhere, I've only kept it on this gun because my friends that don't shoot much think it's fun.

Careful .... you old neanderthal .... what could you possibly know .... :D

Lasers on a CZ .... that;s just ..... SACRILEGE ..... LOL.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh said:
Cheesewhiz said:

REV

It turns out it's a collectable, they only made a few with a factory installed laser, the grips have the CZ logo on them. I don't really care, it's my favorite nightstand gun, so I shoot it quite a bit.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Hazama Yakiba said:
Go for it! I've been calling for bigger sights for YEARS! Why are sights 1/8" wide? Because they always have been, that's why! Why not 3/16"? Why not 1/4"? No reason at all!

Bigger's better! Always was, always will be! :wink: (One exception being women's waistlines.) :twisted:

Verndog

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
Cheesewhiz said:
REV

Oh great... C/whiz has now joined the ninja neanderthal brigade...guess I'll be takin cover now. :twisted:
Just for that I've just done some recruiting to bring the "big guns" in. :D

haw_par_villa_monkeys_guns.jpg

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Verndog said:
revhigh said:
Cheesewhiz said:
REV

Oh great... C/whiz has now joined the ninja neanderthal brigade...guess I'll be takin cover now. :twisted:

I'm the good looking one.

Verndog

Blackhawk
ConradM said:
...As far as low-light shooting, I have a weapon light for that as everyone should....

Very debatable on a PD weapon where weight and size often matter. So....these lights, do they have batteries too? :?

dwd

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz said:
It turns out it's a collectable, they only made a few with a factory installed laser, the grips have the CZ logo on them.

Some guys have all the luck!

Snake45

Hawkeye
"You can trust physics always, chemistry usually, and electricity never."

--Snake's Dad

I've never owned an electrical device of any kind that didn't fail on me at some point sooner or later. I therefore do not rely on ANY kind of electricity for ANY kind of critical defensive equipment. (This is the main reason I will never own a so-called "smart" gun.)

pisgah

Buckeye
>I get a little urked when people try to convince me I'm "stupid" for something I consider a useful tool.

Nothing personal here, just an observation. This statement reminds me strongly of my ex-wife. Any disagreement with her on any subject -- even if just deciding what to have for dinner -- was cause for her to feel I, or anyone, was calling her stupid. There were many other symtpms, but eventually her condition was diagnosed as Paranoid Personality Disorder.

At any rate, to a mature, emotionally secure individual, even being directly called stupid is no reason to get particularly upset -- unless the accusation is true! A disagreement is merely a disagreement, and none of us is right all the time.

Mike J

Hunter
Ratster said:
I use the laser on my LCP to play with the cat. He loves it! :twisted:

It also comes in handy when I practice trigger control...

I don't have any experience with lasers but I have read that this is what they are most useful for. Practicing trigger control that is not playing with the cat.

It does help on firearms forums not to be too sensitive.