Just bought my first Ruger, an sR22

Help Support Ruger Forum:

eric2684

Bearcat
I just bought a Ruger SR22. I have always been a Glock lover, but I couldn't resist this lightweight, and awesome looking 22. I took it to the range (actually visited it at the gun store during the ridiculous 10 day California waiting period) and fired 250 rounds through it. I shot two types of ammo, the CCI mini-mag and Winchester white box hollow points. The cci rounds fired flawlessly and were very accurate. The Winchester white box, however, had 4-5 fail to feeds. In each FTF, the empty cartridge stayed in the chamber, and the slide went back into place. I didn't realize the issue until I heard a click. My guess is that the causes for this are the gun needing to break in, the new sticky grease that comes in the gun, and the cheap ammo. Has anyone had this experience? What is the bulk best ammo for this gun?

clinton

Bearcat
I have over 4000 rounds through my SR22 without a single glitch. It has been fed mostly Remington Golden Bullets and Federal Champions.

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
I suggest that since your SR22 cycled the CCI ammo that you should:

1. Clean the pistol throughly...twice
2. Apply a light coating of synthetic oil on the gun in all the appropriate areas. Do not use grease.
3. Cycle the slide several times without a magazine in the pistol to ensure there is no drag on the slide and that rails are properly lubed.
4. Try shooting the Federal or Winchester copper plated bullets (bulk pak is fine) but first shoot the CCI's but, just enough to warm up the gun then switch over to the others.

I think you will find that just cleaning the gun and lubing with the proper lube you will achieve the desired results since your pistol cycled the CCI ammo with no problems originally. It's always a good idea to clean and lube a new firearm prior to taking it the range for the first time. This provides for the shooter to get familiar with the workings of the pistol and to ensure that the firearm is free of any machining debris, it also replaces the preservative lube that it's shipped with for some that is a better lube for shooting.

If you continue to have difficulty with your firearm contact the manufacturer and arrange to send it back for repairs although, I don't think you will need to do this. Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

cvctiger

Bearcat
I have had no issues with Federal Champion and CCI Minimags. Have fired 400 rounds total through it. I like you fired it right when I picked it up but took a bore snake to the barrel and it fired without any issues.

eric2684

Bearcat
Frank in GA. said:
I suggest that since your SR22 cycled the CCI ammo that you should:

1. Clean the pistol throughly...twice
2. Apply a light coating of synthetic oil on the gun in all the appropriate areas. Do not use grease.
3. Cycle the slide several times without a magazine in the pistol to ensure there is no drag on the slide and that rails are properly lubed.
4. Try shooting the Federal or Winchester copper plated bullets (bulk pak is fine) but first shoot the CCI's but, just enough to warm up the gun then switch over to the others.

I think you will find that just cleaning the gun and lubing with the proper lube you will achieve the desired results since your pistol cycled the CCI ammo with no problems originally. It's always a good idea to clean and lube a new firearm prior to taking it the range for the first time. This provides for the shooter to get familiar with the workings of the pistol and to ensure that the firearm is free of any machining debris, it also replaces the preservative lube that it's shipped with for some that is a better lube for shooting.

If you continue to have difficulty with your firearm contact the manufacturer and arrange to send it back for repairs although, I don't think you will need to do this. Best of luck and let us know how it works out.

Thanks for the advice. I just spent an hour and a half cleaning my SR22 with solvent, drying, and lubricating it with fully synthetic BMW motor oil. Now when I pull the slide back, it is noticeably easier and smoother. The barrel appeared to have an anti rust coating that was difficult to remove and sticky. I dont foresee having any other issues with this gun.

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
Eric,
You're welcome, and I hope this alleviates your issues with the SR22. They are cool little guns, hope you have lots of fun with it. BTW .22's in general will get dirty fairly quickly while shooting, so it's always a good idea to clean it throughly after each session ...if you want it to work well and dependably the next time you need to use it. One of the most common things I hear on the range from .22 shooters when having a problem is: "No, I didn't clean it after I last shot it,...it was working fine when I put it in the case the last time I took it to the range".

eric2684

Bearcat
I just took my SR22 to the range again to see if the issues are gone. (I couldn't wait more then a week to find out! :) ) I brought the Winchester white box and Remington golden bullet. I fired about 125 of each type. The gun functioned flawlessly when i used the Remington golden bullets. When I used the white box ammo, the gun had noticeably less recoil, and failed to feed the next round about once every other 10 round magazine.

border control

Bearcat
Before you pass judgement on the SR-22, break the pistol in completely.
My Mark III Competition had numerous FTF and FTE until I put 1000 rds through it. After the break in was complete, I have never had any problems other than an occasional dud from bulk ammo. Polish the ramp and keep it clean.
The SR-22 will be my next pistol.

Frank in GA.

Bearcat
Although I do shoot the Winchester plated hollow points I find that my gun actually prefers the Federal plated hollow points but, loves the CCI plated 40 grain solids best. With well over 1200 rounds down the tube now I'm feeling like this will be a keeper.

OK, make that 2,000 rounds down the tube now. Just got finished with a session at the range tonight.

Mildot1

Bearcat
I went and shot mine for the first time this morning and it ran 100% through 100 rounds of CCI MiniMags using four different mags. I cleaned the weapon before firing [always a must do] and put a #78 O-ring on the recoil rod/spring to lessen the impact of the slide against the take down lever. It is a great little fun gun.

I had picked MiniMags as my go to round a few years back and that is all I keep on hand, never had a problem with them. I love how easy the SR22 is to dissasemble for cleaning. Too bad the Mark III does not tear down that easy.

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
I am on the market for a .22LR semiauto pistol. The only .22 I presently own is an antique Smith & Wesson snubnose sixgun.
I held the Smith & Wesson Model 22A semiauto. Didn't like the rear sight being in the way of the slide retraction.
Next, I looked at the Walther P22 last week. Double action. I thought it was pretty nice. Then, however, quite by accident, I ran across and watched a YouTube presentation on the gun's issues and problems - ammo feeding problems, disassembly/assembly problems.

Shame on me for not researching the Ruger first.

It looks like it's going to be another Ruger for me. :idea:
I'm headed to the gunshop this week to hold an SR22.
I once owned both a Single-Six convertible and a Mark II. I sold them for cash in 1998 when I needed $.
No matter.
A new SR22 will do quite nicely! :wink:
Looks like a pisser to shoot, and, as usual, reliable Ruger quality.

What the heck was I thinking???

eagleguy

Bearcat
I have to check my boxes but I have pretty much tried every variation of Federal 22r ammo that comes in bulk packs and have not had a problem with any. All I found was that some shoot more accurate and some are dirtier. If you're just going to the range to shoot at targets and not in any type of competition, all of the sub types would be fine. I cannot say the same for Remington and Winchester ammo in bulk packs as I have experienced everything from duds to stove pipes in the SR22!

eric2684

Bearcat
I'll have to try the federal bulk ammo. Winchester rounds have issues
ejecting and golden bullets are very, very dirty.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
I have found that the most reliable, yet low cost ammo is CCI's Blazer boxed bricks. It's getting harder to find (I checked 12 sources last night and they were all sold out). I use it in all my 22s, long and short barrels. When it's available, I buy it by the 5000 round case from TargetSportsUSA, no tax, no shipping. Usually runs between $18 to $20 a brick of 500. I shoot about 500 rounds weekly so I have to keep looking for it.

I've really got to stop recommending Blazer, getting harder and harder to find.....