Jeweling, yeah or nay?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CraigC

Hawkeye
I love custom guns and high fallutin' finishes but I absolutely despise jewelling. Tacky is a good word for it. IMHO, it decreases the value on a used gun. The good news is that it is usually easily polished or blasted away.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
How about diamond studded?? :D :D

DiamondRevolver.jpg

...Jimbo

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
I think jeweling looks neat on a gun with other bling (which translates to a gun that will spend lots of time in the safe and be polished and ogled more than carried or shot). On an otherwise tidy, non-embellished gun, I think it looks out of place.

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
To me it just looks out of place on an SA. I can't quite put my finger on it. I like it on a rifle bolt, and a race car dash, but a revolver hammer? For me, no.

wwb

Hunter
Jimbo357mag, that THING is an affront to civilized humans everywhere. Had to wash my eyeballs with bleach after looking at it.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Jewelling ???? Yuck ... same as engraving ....

I DON'T WANT FLOWERS ON MY GUNS !!!!! :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2":sv8d784n said:
Oddly (?), I am unwilling to spend money on appearance-only items.

I'm with you on that WESHOOT2 ... if it won't make it shoot more reliably, or more accurately, I aint spendin' any money on it ....

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Well, especially given that it would be a sight-unseen job (I've never seen examples of this shop's work), I think it's a pass. I'm sending it back to the factory for the trigger job. I would think they'd to a good jeweling job, but have no idea for sure. Certainly not going to spend the money to have it done only to polish it out.

Thanks again,

-- Sam

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Hmmmmm! How come all those Hell's Angels bikes are all "chromed" up including some of the "mamas"!..............................Dick :wink:

Pinecone

Blackhawk
Here is my 10/22 with the jeweled bolt. Personally, I like it. The rifle is a 1967 10/22 that I have owned 15 years and have put thousands of rounds through it. Not sure how many rounds through it before I got it. It was in fairly good shape when I bought it at a flee market for $80! I added a butt pad for my length of pull, tapered the forend and refinished the stock, jeweled the bolt and modified the extractor a couple of years ago when it started to "hiccup" on me..............
Ruger1022JeweledBolt2.jpg
Ruger1022JeweledBolt1.jpg
............................Dick :wink:

Snake45

Hawkeye
Pinecone":1361py95 said:
Here is my 10/22 with the jeweled bolt. Personally, I like it. The rifle is a 1967 10/22 that I have owned 15 years and have put thousands of rounds through it. Not sure how many rounds through it before I got it. It was in fairly good shape when I bought it at a flee market for $80! I added a butt pad for my length of pull, tapered the forend and refinished the stock, jeweled the bolt and modified the extractor a couple of years ago when it started to "hiccup" on me..............
Ruger1022JeweledBolt2.jpg
Ruger1022JeweledBolt1.jpg
............................Dick :wink:
Looks very nice!

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Yosemite Sam":2rwwajr1 said:
Rclark":2rwwajr1 said:
Your chose! As for me, I adhere to the following statement :

if it won't make it shoot more reliably, or more accurately, I aint spendin' any money on it ....
As we used to say during my biker days, "Chrome don't get ya home!"

-- Sam

and "trophies don't pay the bills"

BearHawk 357

Single-Sixer
Here are my thoughts towards jewelling on a revolver:

Jewelling on a single action = Does not "fit" the style of the gun unless you are a rhinestone cowboy.

Jewelling on a double action = It depends. If the gun is super common then go for it (what would it hurt?) However, if your gun is a somewhat rare model then leave it alone. It will be worth more in the end if you leave it in the original factory configuration.

There has been a current trend, in the AR-15 community, where people have been having their barrels dimpled. When I first heard of the idea I thought that it would look wierd. However, it looks really sharp when done correctly. Maybe you could have a machine shop dimple the sides of your hammer and trigger. You could start a new trend. Take the old idea of the skeletonized hammers and triggers (1911 style) and apply it to revolvers but with the dimple effect instead. Think of a golf ball like texture, on the metal surface, if you are having troubles picturing it. Just an idea.

Snake45

Hawkeye
JWhitmore44":2ll76ih1 said:
Oh my, that's hideous
sa5.jpg
I like that one. :wink:

Don't understand how someone could find that unattractive, but think "dimpling" a revolver hammer like a golf ball might look good. :?