I shot the qualifier for my DC Concealed Carry Permit with my Max9.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not too shabby considering that the first half I was shooting like it was an actual threat when the timer went off. Singles and Doubles 3-15yds. They said anyone who shot out the X gets a hat. They owe me a hat. The 8 and 9's were 1/4 second from low ready.
IMG_20230813_174916150_HDR.jpg

My reaction time from low ready on the 8&9's was around 1/4 second from low ready. I think they wanted me to slow down because I was startling everyone else in the class who was taking up to a minute or more per shot. I think I slowed down to 3/4 to 1 second for the rest. That's 50 rnds 25 for MD. 25 more for DC.

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I think you don't understand. You're not supposed to pass the test. You'll scare the pants off the DC authorities with that kind of marksmanship. ;)

When I took the CCW class around 30 years ago, I had 2 broken bones in my strongside hand and did the qualification lefty. I also showed up with only a semi-auto due to an oversight. An old friend was also at the class and loaned me his S&W 29 for the revolver Qual round. We weren't timed but my targets scored higher than anyone except my friend. Sort of disturbing to see how poorly the rest of the group shot:devilish:.

When I took the CCW class around 30 years ago, I had 2 broken bones in my strongside hand and did the qualification lefty. I also showed up with only a semi-auto due to an oversight. An old friend was also at the class and loaned me his S&W 29 for the revolver Qual round. We weren't timed but my targets scored higher than anyone except my friend. Sort of disturbing to see how poorly the rest of the group shot:devilish:.
Yeah over a minute to hit a threat 9' in front of you barely 60% of the time.

Last edited:

Bullthrower338

Single-Sixer
Good Shooting! The CHL qualification everywhere I've taken one have been a joke. Mainly a waste of ammo for anyone who is a gun person. I once explained to a buddy that it reminded me of a corporate bird hunt where only one or two people actually know how to handle a firearm and the rest of them read a hunting magazine once. I learned to take a knee when reloading on those hunts after a buddy of mine was shot in the face by one of them, it wasn't Dick Cheney we were hunting with but same story!
I am glad that a lot of states require candidates to shoot though, might be the only time they actually fire their carry weapon!

Latest posts