I figured I'd dust off one of the Gold Cups

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Haven't shot in several weeks .... reminds me why I LOVE these Colt 1911's ... 1.25 and 1.5 inch groups at 50 feet. These guns will make ANYBODY look good. :D

Gun is bone stock as it came out of the box. As much as I LOVE my modified Springfield, the Colt Gold Cups seem to shoot effortlessly in anyone's hands. Simply spectacular weapons, right from the factory. Imagine if it was in someone's hands who was a great shot !!! This gun has well over 15,000 rounds through it ... no safe queen here.

Those 200 grain LSWC's cut nice holes, don't they ??

DSC_0504.jpg

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
ArmedinAZ":botpmjkk said:
Is that a BIG overtravel screw visible there in the bottom of the trigger? 70 or 80 series?

Yup !! I've never touched it .... Series 80.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Thanks Guys !! This was the second new gun that I ever bought. My first was my ColtGuard (Colt's Brushed Electroless Nickel) 6 inch Python, and this Gold Cup National Match was my second. It cost me $725 OTD in the early 80's, and for years it was my primary shooter. It's got some wear on it from it's 20 +year life, but there's nothing serious, just handling marks. I've since bought another one in Royal Blue, but the stainless one is my main shooter. This was the first time that I shot it in about a year, because I had been concentrating on the olive drab Springfield that you guys have seen pictures of. It's also made me realize that the Springfield has GOT to have it's GI sights upgraded right away. The Gold Cup's target sights are exellent, and the way they're integrated into the slide's milled and grooved top is very aesthetically pleasing. Now that I've shot the GC again, and been reacquainted with how well it shoots, I think I may just have to shoot it alot for the next few months or so.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":2m265im2 said:
Nice shooting Rev, did you take the scope off it before you took the picture? :lol: :lol:

Yeah .... and I also had to unbolt it from the Ransom rest !!! :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1)":wrr58lse said:
NRA "Bullseye" style . . . one-handed, standing up on your hind legs??

;)

Nope, Ale !!! Two handed and one-eyed !! :D

REV

Still good shooting. I just had to ask.

I've gone to the two-fisted style for most shooting now, but every once in a while I try the old "Bullseye" style if for no other reason than to remind myself how relatively well I used to be able to shoot . . . forty years ago.

;)

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
revhigh":3fvsyu2h said:
ArmedinAZ":3fvsyu2h said:
Is that a BIG overtravel screw visible there in the bottom of the trigger? 70 or 80 series?

Yup !! I've never touched it .... Series 80.

REV

Actually, I bought my Colt 1991 Series 80 for exactly this reason: firing pin block. I like my Glock and Ruger. I have to have the firing pin block since I believe in that, if I don't pull the trigger, the gun must not fire(not even some remote potential). I don't mind my P89's trigger. And the SA trigger on the 1911 is miles ahead of the DA trigger on the P89...

revhigh

Hawkeye
doublebarrel_2":13plzjhd said:
The SA trigger on the 1911 is miles ahead of the DA trigger on the P89...

Understatement of the year !!! LOL :D

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
Anthony Williams":i020ab84 said:
Truth be known, I shot that group for Rev. :wink:

A.W.

Just so you know AW, I stopped payment on the check !!

REV

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
REV ... Fine looking colt (and nice shooting as well). Am I correct in assuming that you still have that Colt coming to me in your will :wink:?

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Truth be known, I shot that group for Rev.

A.W.

Under Water to Boot!!!!! :mrgreen:

Nice gun and excellent shooting too!!

Love the feel of those 1911's with a Browning Hi-Power a close second.
Terry

revhigh

Hawkeye
BuckJM53":3526aqhg said:
REV ... Fine looking colt (and nice shooting as well). Am I correct in assuming that you still have that Colt coming to me in your will :wink:?

Sorry Buck, it goes to my daughter !! You can have my old Iver Johnson PT22 !!

REV

Pinecone

Blackhawk
revhigh, Just out of "curiosity", do either of those Gold Cups "rattle" much when you shake them? I have found very few Gold Cups I have worked on that didn't rattle although the "rattling" didn't seem to affect accuracy very much. I always thought that for that kind of money, Colt should have made them a little "tighter". Just an observation from the many 1911's I have seen go through my hands over the years. Nice group at 50 feet!...........................Dick :wink:

revhigh

Hawkeye
Hi Dick !!

Sure they rattle .... 'a little', I've never seen a good 1911 that didn't rattle a little. If a 1911 is so tight it doesn't rattle, then I would have to say it's a 'range only' gun, because it wouldn't be reliable on the street. I've always thought, AND been told, that a little looseness in the slide doesn't affect a 1911's accuracy one bit, but too little looseness affects the reliability ALOT. I think there's WAY too much emphasis on the slide tightness and it's relation to accuracy in the 1911 platform.

I'm not a 1911 mechanic or tech at all ... all of my Colt 1911's are bone stock, and have always shot just fine, and very accurately. They've always satisfied me because they're more accurate or at least as accurate as I'm capable of shooting them.

I've never had one issue with a Colt 1911 .... EVER, so it always makes me laugh when some clown comes to the range with all this garbage on his gun, Wilson this, Baer that, etc, etc, built on a Colt frame, and he;s complaining about the fact that this 'COLT' gun isn't reliable. Well, moron, take all that crap off it, put the Colt stuff all back on, and guess what ??? Relilability. Who'd a think it ?

REV