How to Sight In---HELP!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Howdy, I finally shot my NM Blackhawk, 41 mag today. It was shooting way low. I turned the elevation screw to the RIGHT. At first it made a difference but now it still shoots low at 25 yards. I moved the R/L screw to the RIGHT and the POI is now centered. Maybe I went the wrong way, as I had limited ammo. Any suggestions? I also shot my 22/45 also, and it was HIGH. I got it pretty good at 25 yards but I still need to know which way to turn the up/down on both guns. Thanks bhk :roll:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
I believe lowering the rear sight raises POI , So if you screwed the elevation screw in ... that should have lowered the rear sight raising the POI. ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: ) Is the screw bottomed out ? You didn't mention what type of loads you were shooting ... makes a BIG difference whether your shooting powder puffers or true mag loads. Is it new ... could someone have changed the front blade ? Good luck

regards , brushunter

hittman

Staff member
That procedure is covered in the owners manual and the manuals are available on Rugers web site.

Hugh

Buckeye
To lower point of impact: turn screw clockwise. That is to the right.

Here's a link to the manual:

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/blackhawk.pdf

schloss

Single-Sixer
shoot-n-iron said:
Chuck 100 yd said:
Move the rear sight the way you want the bullet to go. Lowering the rear sight lowers the point of impact. same with windage.

Bingo!

Always use this. Takes the brainwork out of sighting things in. Use complete opposite for front sight.

Don't overthink it.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
brushunter said:
I believe lowering the rear sight raises POI , So if you screwed the elevation screw in ... that should have lowered the rear sight raising the POI. ( I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :wink: )
Consider yourself corrected. :mrgreen: The POI moves in the SAME direction as the rear sight.

rtl

Single-Sixer
When I first started shooting adjustable sights, to remember how to sight in I used my fingers as a visual aid: left index finger tip being the front sight and my right index and middle fingers being the rear sight. Put my left finger tip on the target, line up my right finger tips to complete the sight picture on the target. Then...I would see what happens when I move the rear sight keeping the front sight on target: move the rear sight down and you have to move the barrel down to get back in sight picture = lowering the POI. Move the rear sight to the right and you have to move the barrel to the right to get back in sight picutre = moving the POI to the right. And, knowing that a clockwise turn tightens a screw and therefore moves the sight away from the head of the screw I was able to wrap my brain around it.

In sharing this I probably just demonstrated my simple-minded lack of sophistication, but if it helps anyone else....

rt

Dan in MI

Staff member
Rear sight - take the sight to where you want the projectile to go.

Front sight - (learned from archery) Chase your arrow - in other words take the sight towards where the projectile is hitting.

The only hang up is learning if you standard threads or left hand threaded sight screws.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've never heard of any left hand thread sight screws, Rugers, Colts and Smiths I have are right hand threaded; but doesn't mean they don't exist.

But when in doubt just turn either screw 2 full turns in any direction and see which way the sight moves. Then back 2 turns to get the sight back where it was.

flatgate

Hawkeye
This goes back to the old adage: RTFM........ :roll:

I hope you get 'er figgered out and get to enjoy shooting your Blackhawk!

flatgate

dakota1911

Buckeye
Really read the manual. It is not bad. I just bought a new digital SLR. That manual IS bad.