SP/GP adjustable rear sight options?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cofaler

Bearcat
I just picked up a NIB 4.2" SP101 and the rear sight leaf was loose in the plastic bag with the gun. I also got a good deal on a 4" GP100 MC and the rear sight leaf was broken in half in the sight base, which isn't a huge deal for me because the part is cheap. For revolvers that are built like a tank, the adjustable rear sight has to be the cheesiest on the market. I also have a 3" SP with the adjustable leaf that was cutting grooves in my Simply Rugged holster until I rounded the edges. It got better, and is continuing to get better as the blade gets done wearing in my holster. Are there some better options out there? I would prefer fixed sights anyway, and yes, I know they sell them that way, but I sort of bought them one after the other before I realized what an issue it is, for me at least. I really like the low profile fixed rears, I suppose I could get dovetails cut, but is there a better option?

dsf

Bearcat
I use an adjustable rear sight from Magnum Research. Costs a grand total of $27.00 and IIRC shipping was free, or pretty cheap.
IMG_0754.jpg
IMG_0755.jpg

Pretty sure I had to dress down the underside of the sight to ensure the hammer didn't rub on the down stroke when the sight was fully cranked down.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I assume that given the taller blade to maintain zero the sight had to be bottomed out? I have on that I bought quite a while ago and was considering it for a 4 5/8" 45 Colt BH.

contender

Ruger Guru
One truly good option for the Ruger adjustable rear sight assembly is to replace the rear factory blade with a Fermin Garza/Ronnie Wells (RW Grip Frames) insert. An EXCELLENT upgrade. And it uses the factory base. I have a few and really like the sight options offered.

dsf

Bearcat
I assume that given the taller blade to maintain zero the sight had to be bottomed out? I have on that I bought quite a while ago and was considering it for a 4 5/8" 45 Colt BH.
True. I use a six o clock hold with a fair amount of daylight, that helps.

Thel

Blackhawk
Ham. Bowen offers adjustable rear sights in target and Rough Country styles. The latter allows locking down the blade. I have them on my GP revolvers.

Latest posts