How much would you tip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We went out to eat lunch yesterday, I got a burger and my wife got soup. For some reason her soup came just as I was finishing my burger, it was cold as well. The waitress kept coming over and apologizing. I don’t think she forgot it, I think it was the kitchen’s fault.

When we went to pay, the waitress said the whole meal was comped, so we didn’t have to pay anything. In fact the waitress honestly looked like she was ready to cry. I told her the burger was really good, which it was.

We tipped $20, which was about the cost of the meal. I don’t know if the waitress had to pay for our meal out of her tip money or not? Would she have had too make it up? I was a waiter in college, and one fancy restaurant made me pay for any mistakes I made, like undercharging a customer etc.

How much would you have tipped?

Kevin said:
We went out to eat lunch yesterday, I got a burger and my wife got soup. For some reason her soup came just as I was finishing my burger, it was cold as well. The waitress kept coming over and apologizing. I don’t think she forgot it, I think it was the kitchen’s fault.

When we went to pay, the waitress said the whole meal was comped, so we didn’t have to pay anything. In fact the waitress honestly looked like she was ready to cry. I told her the burger was really good, which it was.

We tipped $20, which was about the cost of the meal. I don’t know if the waitress had to pay for our meal out of her tip money or not? Would she have had too make it up? I was a waiter in college, and one fancy restaurant made me pay for any mistakes I made, like undercharging a customer etc.

My heartstrings are easily pulled. I could have easily done what you did. Thanks. :wink:

jimd441

Blackhawk
I would have likely done the same thing as well.

In general, I tip according to the level and quality of the service. This means a small amount for carry out and possibly 25%+ for excellent full service.

Jim

Yeah, I’ve read where 20% is mostly common these days for a tip. That’s generally what I leave, so 25% is really a nice tip.

I get my hair cut at this school with students. It’s just $11 for a haircut. This past summer I was there, and the student was excited because she was graduating the next day. I gave her $85, which was all the money I had in my wallet. I didn’t know her at all, but figured she is young and needs money. I remember being young and in college…needing money. Some things never change.

eveled

Hunter
I doubt she had to pay for your meal out of her pocket. I’m sure she appreciates the generous tip you left.

I had a similar conversation recently about always tipping the same percentage.

If I order a salad and the waitress brings me 4 glasses of water the whole bill is $6. 15% is $.90

If I order filet mignon and have 4 cocktails the bill is $100. 15% is $15!

Both waitresses brought me 1 plate and 4 drinks they deserve the same tip.

Keep in mind when tipping the waitress has to tip the bartender and buss boy out of her tip money.

bobski said:
considering the cost of going out these days, id say that tip is in the meal already, but normally i do 20%.

Some restaurants do have an automatic tip. I’m not sure how I feel about those. I ate at one recently, they included a mandatory 18% tip with a line to add more if you wanted. Which I didn’t.

ned

Single-Sixer
I've waited tables. I always overtip and consider the waitress probably has kids in daycare and a deadbeat ex...or some similar sad story....no one is waiting tables for the sheer joy of it....hard work, short money but we all have to consider our obligations to our families and tip accordingly....as the Masons say....to the length of you cable tow.

Cholo

Staff member
I'd have probably left her $20, too.

About a year ago I went to a local Mexican Restaurant. 5 minutes later a man, woman and 2 kids were seated in the booth I was facing. I knew there was something wrong with that guy and that there was going to be trouble. You can just feel it.

Sure enough :roll: He calls the about 19 year old waitress over to the table and starts blah blah blahing at her. With my hearing I couldn't tell what it was about. Soon the manager (probably the owner) comes over and it gets loud! Manager goes towards the kitchen and out of sight. Punk jumps up and literally ran after him. I'm just sitting there sipping my 32oz. Dos Equis :)

After more shouting at the table the punk takes his family and leaves without paying, I believe his intent from the beginning.

The waitress walked by and I handed her a $20. I said that was for me and the other table who walked out. She was beside herself with the tip. I didn't miss it, and it made her day.

eveled made a good point! I hope everyone tips a higher % at an inexpensive eatery like a Mexican restaurant. They work just as hard to serve you as they do at an expensive place.

JFB

Hunter
acknowledging to the waitress You understood the food quality was not her fault is the correct thing to do, I;ve done the same more often lately do to good resturants being short of staff.

I would have made a point to find someone other than wait staff to inform then of the poor food quaility though. Not angerly, just to let them know. (Ive walked to the kitchen door and stood)

recently the restutant was PACKED and only one waitress showed up. service was slow, but I tipped pretty good. the next time in, she told me how rude and poor tips she got that day.

turd

Blackhawk
We generally tip 20%, more for better service. For less expensive meals like lunch or breakfast usually more like 30%. These people work their tails off for the most part and in a tough environment. Are you always in a good mood when you go to work? They have all the same issues in life as anyone else, yet are expected to be up all the time. If we do get poor service or an attitude, we become poor tippers in response.

Kevin, you did good, I would have done the same or at least left 20%.

blackhawknj

Buckeye
The rule I always heard, poor service, it's reflected in the tip, good service, poor food, talk to the manager.

I always go with 20% at least, sometimes more. My wife was a waitress while in college. She said that cold food or badly cooked food is not the waitresses fault. They deliver what the kitchen hands them. Unfortunately they are generally the ones that have to put up with the irritate customers rage.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Fox Mike said:
She said that cold food or badly cooked food is not the waitresses fault.
They deliver what the kitchen hands them.
I disagree. They are the final quality (or lack thereof) control. If they see something
wrong, it is up to them to immediately reject it. If the eatery management disagrees,
a new place to work is in order.

A.J.

Single-Sixer
Kevin said:

Very classy move on your part. Says a lot about your character.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Kevin, good job on your part. I usually hit a place or two on Veterans day. Though the meal is free I tip what I would have paid. I generally tip 30-50%. Seems the restaurants aren't full these days, part of that is they don't have the help, but I figure the waitresses work awfully hard for what they get and lot's of people don't give them much. I just think of it, as part of the meal, leaving a good tip. If I am going to eat out I'm going to help the waitress out. I expect many are single moms and can use all the help they can get. It's a tough life.

mishtub

Blackhawk
When I was still gainfully employed, was out with a supervisor at dinner. He had a "surf n turf" with beverage and I had a burger and fries with beverage. When I turned in my expense voucher the supervisor questioned the amount of tip I left. It was about equal to the price of my meal and about equal to his tip, with his meal considerably more expensive than mine. I explained that it took the same amount of work for my meal to be served as it took for his and I asked why should the price of the meal should have anything to do with the tip. He thought for a bit, then okayed the voucher and I was never again questioned about my tipping. I have left tips larger than the price of the meal. I also never put a tip on a "card", always in cash given directly to the server.

Pat-inCO said:
Fox Mike said:
She said that cold food or badly cooked food is not the waitresses fault.
They deliver what the kitchen hands them.
I disagree. They are the final quality (or lack thereof) control. If they see something
wrong, it is up to them to immediately reject it. If the eatery management disagrees,
a new place to work is in order.
What, are you suggesting that the waitperson check the temperature of each item ordered and also taste it. I honestly don't see that happening in any restaurant I have ever been to. Seeing something incorrect is one thing but temperature and taste is totally different.

Latest posts