How much would you tip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
First off Kevin,, I think you did quite well. With one exception. I would have let management know about the food AND the good waitress.

And the comment; "The rule I always heard, poor service, it's reflected in the tip, good service, poor food, talk to the manager."
It says that in a nice way.

That said,, I will quantify myself by saying I was raised in a restaurant. My Dad built the "El Tango" restaurant (downstairs) and nightclub for saturday nights upstairs in the late 1940's. It had an attached portion (which was his first build,) of a dairy bar serving ice cream milk shakes etc. We were directly across the street from the town beach.
It burned down in 1978, while I was in the Army.
My first job was peeling potatoes & washing dishes. I ran a popcorn machine, dipped ice cream, waited tables, cooked, cleaned & in general everything that was necessary. Basically everything & more a waiter normally does now.

That said,, I was ALWAYS of the mind a tip was for exceptional service above & beyond what a customer should expect. And yes,, the law allowed for wait staff to be paid on a different scale with the balance being made up in tips. Tips were NOT TO BE EXPECTED in our place,, and my Dad & Mom paid minimum wage. Dad always told any hired help; "If you want to make more,, work hard, give excellent service & the customer will let you know it." If they let me know things aren't good, then we'll BOTH know it.
A GOOD waiter or waitress can make a very good wage if they work at it.

Often, if things are exceptional, I ask for a manager & express my sincere thanks with details. And if things are less than expected,, my tip reflects it. But if it's really bad,, I also get the manager involved.
But to go into a restaurant and have the management AND staff demand a certain percentage is appalling to me. According to Websters; "tip; Give present, to give a gratuity, to bestow a gratuity. A gift or a sum of money tendered for a service performed or anticipated."
And the AMOUNT (percentage) that is considered "normal" nowadays has changed over the decades since I worked in a restaurant. From "whatever we get to maybe 10%,, to nowadays 20% is darn near demanded.

I know that many feel totally different. And I also know that restaurant owners etc all (now) feel they can get away with poor wages,, and figure customers will make it up for them.

That's not to say I do not tip good,, it's just that the service has to reflect it as well. And,, when the covid crap severely reduced a lot of people eating out,, we kept on going AND tipped very well. We knew the staff in some of our regular places, and knew how hard they worked.

It's just the attitude nowadays that tipping 25-30% is expected.

Pat-inCO said:
Fox Mike said:
Seeing something incorrect is one thing but temperature and taste is totally different.
Hot soup should be steaming. You don't have to use a thermometer to see it.
Something that should be moist, coming out dry is unacceptable.
etc.
That is a fact, and I would imagine the average waitstaff serve perhaps three to four in an eight hour shift, and can see steam or heat radiating from soup.Now, something like onion soup will easily be seen steaming but not so something like clam chowder. My wife who was a waitress asks what you suggest that if it isn't 'steaming'; should the waitress stick her finger in to check the temp or taste it. His/her job is to take the order correctly, give the order to the kitchen staff, whose job it to properly prepare it for the customer. When the kitchen staff has finished their job the waitress/waiter is notified and transports it to the table and serves it properly to who ordered what. She/he are properly doing their jobs. The prep happens behind closed doors. Of course there are always some that would complain that the butter was too hard or too soft or the water glass had too much ice or not enough. Some, however, just have to be unsatisfied though the wait staff has done every correctly.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Another question here could be--

do you tip w/ money or put it on he card?? I try to leave money so the waitress dont have to screw around to get her share.

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
I agree. I typically don't use credit cards, but, I always tip with cash. It's not the managers business how much the tip is. One place I go pretty frequently, someone gave the waitress a $100 tip. They immediately told her, her shift was over and she could leave. That's just not right.

And I’ve read, but can’t confirm, that some restaurants will subtract the 3% credit card fee from their tips. I don’t always carry cash, but when I do I like to tip in cash as well.

Bad Barlow

Single-Sixer
You did the right thing. However,one time a waitress tried to make excuses for an acknowledged bad meal. She got nuttin.

Garth69

Bearcat
We went out to eat lunch yesterday, I got a burger and my wife got soup. For some reason her soup came just as I was finishing my burger, it was cold as well. The waitress kept coming over and apologizing. I don’t think she forgot it, I think it was the kitchen’s fault.

When we went to pay, the waitress said the whole meal was comped, so we didn’t have to pay anything. In fact the waitress honestly looked like she was ready to cry. I told her the burger was really good, which it was.

We tipped $20, which was about the cost of the meal. I don’t know if the waitress had to pay for our meal out of her tip money or not? Would she have had too make it up? I was a waiter in college, and one fancy restaurant made me pay for any mistakes I made, like undercharging a customer etc.

How much would you have tipped?
20 percent is my norm even if the service is marginal. I figure these wait staff need their money and if the kitchen is slow or doesn't know how to cook it's not the wait staff fault.

jimbo1096

Hunter
It's interesting to read what differences there is between these responses. I agree there is a difference between poor service and poor quality of the food. If the attitude and attention of the server is good, I tip well. If the problem is with the food, I get the manager to make a visit to the table. Since 2020 the service quality has declined dramatically, and it seems the only people that are working in restaurants any more could care less to be there. There are a few exceptions, and that is where I will tend to return.
I disagree with the statement that the servers always share their tips. My grandson has worked at three eateries in the past two years and only one had the share your tips policy. It is not mandatory that this happens at all restaurants.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I tipped my last waitress $5 on a $15 plate, it was a hamburger with sides, and it was good. She kept me well supplied with Sprite.

They had a chart of tips by percentage at the cashier, that’s just insulting to me. It’s easy to figure out in my mind, it’s simple multiplication.

375supermag

Single-Sixer
Hi...
My wife used to be a waitress as did both of my daughters, so I know a little about how hard they work.
I always tip 20% unless the service is horrible or above and beyond, then I adjust accordingly.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
For me, it'd depend on the circumstances. If the waiter is good, attentive, I tip quite well. Something messed up and it's clearly the kitchen's fault, that doesn't effect the tip at all. I'll easily tip 18-20% sometime more. It's 100 percent dependna ton the service and not necessarily the food.

ole442

Bearcat
I usually tip 20%.

Once a waitress charged me item by item for a meal because ai ordered a side item above what the special I was ordering. So, at tip time, I added up what the special cost and the side item cost should have been and subtracted it from what she charged be and left the difference as her tip. As a matter of fact, I don't remember her waitressing at the place again. Maybe her scam caught up with her. Only time I can remember where I left a small tip.

KS25-06

Bearcat
What irritates me is that the hard working waitress has to split her tips with the bar tender. In my opinion that is BS. Also, many places have a tip jar, and the tips are split. So, the great waitress has to share her well earned tip with the sorry waitress. MORE BS!!!!!!!!! Many chain restaurants do not even pay a minimum wage, so a big tip is welcome.

Colonialgirl

Hawkeye
While working on her degree, my daughter worked at a Chili's restaurant starting as a "Hostess" until she saw what the waitresses made in tips; She also told me the "tricks" used to get larger tips from males (stand close lean over to "hear more clearly" etc; she sometimes made $100 in tips which were not shared; Well, they did share with the "bus boys" who cleared the tables because a faster clearing meant more customers.

Latest posts