Need HELP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
in the process of depriming and f/l resizing I have encountered the following.
the thickness of the case rim on 257 Roberts -Winchester Super X will not allow it to enter and slid into the correct shell holder. All others no problem but I do have 20 rounds That just do not allow it to happen .
Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Stumps13

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
thought of using a different shell holder but of course I do not have a RCBS #4

NikA

Buckeye
Presumably you are using RCBS #3. Shell holder sizes are not in size order for any manufacturer that I know of. Lee shellholders typically have a bit more play which could help (I think you need Lee #2). If it's one piece of brass, I'd set it aside and move on. I find the most common reason for this with the correct size shellholder is a nicked or bent rim; nicks can be lightly filed down, bent rims generally are in the scrap bucket.

jgt

Buckeye
I would check this brass with the bolt on the rifle to be fired in. If it does not slide into the bolt easily then it would be useless to go to the trouble to process these cases. If it does fit into the bolt then proceed with the other suggestions.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
There is a difference in the extractor groove between brands of brass. In the Lyman 45th edition they recommend the #8 shell holder, or the #2 if the the #8 doesn't work. Oddly Lyman is the only company to note this. RCBS lists their #11, Redding and Bonanza their #1, and C-H their #4. Don't have a reference for Hornady.

Stumps13

Single-Sixer
Many thanks to all the responses to my question.
The problem has been solved. Using RCBS shell holder #11 I have been able to full length resize and deprime.
The resized and trimmed brass now works like it originally was intended to do.
many thanks for all that did to solve this problem.
Stumps13