Help a new guy out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pal Val

Buckeye
When I see those two fellows, I'll ask them. I think one saw someone run some rounds through an RCBS press they have at the club and went out and bought one. I don't know about the other.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Double Maduro said:
Thanks for the info folks, keep it coming.

Thanks,
DM

Are you sure you want us to keep beating this horse ? looks like he could die any time on us.
Have we opened your eyes to anything you didn't already know or help you deside anything?
Feel free to ask more questions.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
44shootist said:
Two of my friends Lee presses failed, just not strong enough for rifle rounds with bottle necks, they take a lot of pressure resizing, since you are resizing the case and also the neck in this process.

Hi,

Sounds more like poor technique than faulty equipment from here!

At the risk of sounding like a smart arse, over the years they've come up w/ this stuff called "case lube." Most mfrs sell it w/ their brand, and there are a variety of types. Most work well enough, some a little better than others. Everybody seems to find a "favorite" and it quickly turns into a "Ford-Chevy" argument!

Now, if one uses the lube properly, and uses a smooth, steady pull on the handle instead of jumping on the end of it, even the lighter Lees will size as well as a Rock Chucker (voice of experience--I've got both.) OTOH, if one tries to size too quickly (that brass IS moving inside the die and takes a bit of time to go where it's going), I 'spose they could join the ranks of those who claim to have sprung a Rock Chucker!

Of course, there ARE always gonna be guys who could screw up an anvil w/ a rubber mallet... ;)

Rick C

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
44shootist said:
Two of my friends Lee presses failed, just not strong enough for rifle rounds with bottle necks, they take a lot of pressure resizing, since you are resizing the case and also the neck in this process.

Hi,

May I tell my experience with the Lee Challenger press. Never any problems with revolver cartridges, except that the ram would go a little over center and then start coming down again at the top of the stroke. I didn't like that so I put a mechanical stop on the press; a piece of metal under the bench that the arm runs into at ram full up position.

I would and still do use a little case lube on the brass to make the sizing easier. But when I went to sizing 30-30 cases, setting the die up exactly per instructions and after lubing more generously than revolver cases, I found the pressure required to size the case excessive, both up and down. I almost stuck a case and I managed to loosen up the linkage of the press more than it already was. I later found I was sizing too much and backed-off the sizing die about 1/4 of a turn. I also changed from a vegetable oil type of lube to a wax type. Problems solved but the press is not as tight as it was and it is getting looser every year. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
44shootist said:

Hi,

At the risk of sounding like a smart arse, over the years they've come up w/ this stuff called "case lube." Most mfrs sell it w/ their brand, and there are a variety of types. Most work well enough, some a little better than others. Everybody seems to find a "favorite" and it quickly turns into a "Ford-Chevy" argument!

Now, if one uses the lube properly, and uses a smooth, steady pull on the handle instead of jumping on the end of it, even the lighter Lees will size as well as a Rock Chucker (voice of experience--I've got both.) OTOH, if one tries to size too quickly (that brass IS moving inside the die and takes a bit of time to go where it's going), I 'spose they could join the ranks of those who claim to have sprung a Rock Chucker!

Of course, there ARE always gonna be guys who could screw up an anvil w/ a rubber mallet... ;)

Rick C

Yah we all figure out what that lube stuff was on the first case we sized but thanks any way.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Rick Courtright said:
44shootist said:

Hi,

May I tell my experience with the Lee Challenger press. Never any problems with revolver cartridges, except that the ram would go a little over center and then start coming down again at the top of the stroke. I didn't like that so I put a mechanical stop on the press; a piece of metal under the bench that the arm runs into at ram full up position.

I would and still do use a little case lube on the brass to make the sizing easier. But when I went to sizing 30-30 cases, setting the die up exactly per instructions and after lubing more generously than revolver cases, I found the pressure required to size the case excessive, both up and down. I almost stuck a case and I managed to loosen up the linkage of the press more than it already was. I later found I was sizing too much and backed-off the sizing die about 1/4 of a turn. I also changed from a vegetable oil type of lube to a wax type. Problems solved but the press is not as tight as it was and it is getting looser every year. 8) 8)

...Jimbo

Your funny Jimbo I get a kick out of you no problem expect.........
20 lines later, but other than that.

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
44shootist said:
Double Maduro said:

Thanks,
DM

Are you sure you want us to keep beating this horse ? looks like he could die any time on us.
Have we opened your eyes to anything you didn't already know or help you deside anything?

After reading the replies here, I am leaning more towards the RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit.

Now about dies. I have been told that if you use carbide dies you don't have to use lube. Is this true? I have also been told that carbide dies are only available for straight wall cartridges. Also true?

I have been told that if you are loading for only one rifle, that you don't need to full length size fired cases, you only need to size the necks. Is this true?

Yeah, I'm greener than grass, but willing to learn.

Thanks again,
DM

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Double Maduro said:
Now about dies. I have been told that if you use carbide dies you don't have to use lube. Is this true?
Yes but a little lube makes the job easier.

I have also been told that carbide dies are only available for straight wall cartridges. Also true?
I think that is correct.

I have been told that if you are loading for only one rifle, that you don't need to full length size fired cases, you only need to size the necks. Is this true?
Depends, as it was explaned to me, on the chamber and cartridge. If you plan on shooting the case a few times eventuelly it will have to be Full Length sized. If you have a loose chamber or a semi-auto or a levergun you will probably have to full length size. If you have a bolt gun that locks up tight and has a tight chamber and doesn't have any feeding issues you might be able to get away with neck sizing.

Thanks again,
DM

...JImbo

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Double Maduro said:
44shootist said:
Double Maduro said:

Thanks,
DM

After reading the replies here, I am leaning more towards the RCBS Rockchucker supreme kit.

Now about dies. I have been told that if you use carbide dies you don't have to use lube. Is this true? I have also been told that carbide dies are only available for straight wall cartridges. Also true?

Thanks again,
DM

So green you could hide in short grass is what I say.

But any way if you go with the RCBS your making a good choice, my choice is Lyman both equally good presses.

When it comes to dies I have both RCBS and Lyman, don't know why but I like the RCBS ones a bit better.

Always buy the carbide dies for straight wall case's if you keep them clean you never need to use any lube, I never have.

Bottle neck cases are not made in carbide so they need to be lubed.

I always full size all my rifle cases, I don't know if it would work to not full size if only using in one rifle?, but I wouldn't do it that way, most caLs. I reload I have more than one rifle in that caL. anyway.

I don't think not full sizing would save you much, the necks usally seam to wear out first before the case does anyway, at least in what I reload .

twobisquit

Single-Sixer
I started out with a Lee Anniversary kit for less than $100 and you will pay for it many times over before you ever wear it out. If you dont like reloading you will not be out that much. Also, you will be able to add componets as you find the need or pick up bargains from ebay or garage sales

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
Double Maduro said:
Now about dies. I have been told that if you use carbide dies you don't have to use lube. Is this true?
That's especially true with reloading the .500 S&W cartridge. Even though my dies are carbide, I put a tiny bit of wax on them and sizing was a LOT easier.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Donaldjr1969 said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Double Maduro said:
That's especially true with reloading the .500 S&W cartridge. Even though my dies are carbide, I put a tiny bit of wax on them and sizing was a LOT easier.

Never have needed any lube with my .500 S&W cartridges with carbide dies, and they size easy as a 38SPL. in my Lyman must be a Lee thing needing lube?

Why buy carbide than lube? sounds like you guys need a better press also, no insault intended.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Double Maduro,

Have you watched any of the video's on RCBS's web site?
They have some really good video there that will really help you out and get you started on the right track, well worth while to watch them.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
44shootist said:
Never have needed any lube with my .500 S&W cartridges with carbide dies, and they size easy as a 38SPL. in my Lyman must be a Lee thing needing lube?

Why buy carbide than lube? sounds like you guys need a better press also, no insault intended.
I thought I made it clear that I used Magtech brass which is NOTABLY thicker than the Starline or Hornady cases I saved from renting it earlier at the range. I guess I failed to mention that fact...

Anyway, the Magtech brass measured close to .014 in thickness while the Starline cases were around .0095 to .010. I do not have a case wall mic so I used my calipers. Now I admit I have only been reloading for a year so that means I do not know squat!! :lol: But I would think that thicker brass needs more effort needed for sizing. After all, my Remington cases in 44mag size even easier than my other brass. So, were it not for my lack of knowledge, I would say that is not a Lee thing but rather simple physics. :)

As for the die wax? I did not use die wax. I used a very thin film of car wax and left it on the case when I sized it. So no extra dollars wasted. My other .500 cases sized just as easy as 44Mag cases. I just felt like giving a bit of an assist to the thick walled cases.

All this stuff about Lee being fecal matter due to its low cost sounds very familiar to me. Hmmm, let's see. Why is that? Oh yes, now I know. 12 years ago on the automotive forums I frequented, I was posting my experiences with my installation of a nitrous oxide system on my car. Almost immediately, the forced induction fanboys started posting how nitrous oxide is garbage, will blow my engine (as if a turbocharger will not??? ), etc. What it REALLY was had to be the fact that my kit only cost me 500 dollars and I needed minimal tuning while the turbo boys spent well over 2 grand for everything needed to run safely. And when my car ran neck and neck with a similar car running a 9psi turbo kit, many of them started saying I was going to have problems. It annoyed the living snot out of them that a 500 dollar kit gave as good of results as their > $2,000 setups. Of course, NOT ONE of those problems they swore would happen ever surfaced. But then, the car I ran against was a true automotive performance fan. To him, the method utilized was NOT the issue. It was how well the RESULTS in my car were. Amen...

So that is how I view those that use Lee presses. Just because they are cheap does not mean that are bad. Saying things MAY fail is not synonymous with saying things WILL fail. And from others that have shot my ammunition, they all say my loads are accurate and consistent. So here again, results matter more than the method. In my opinion, when it comes to reloading, the end DOES justify the means.

So no, there is no offense taken when others talk about Lee. I know what my results are and with all due respect, my RESULTS tend to be more heavily weighted to me than others' OPINIONS. :)

edit: That's not to say that I do not listen to nor appreciate the plethora of info on this forum at all!! Far from it! I've learned so much in the 2 years since I returned to shooting, bought a P90 and registered here. If I am unwilling to listen, I will never learn! What I should have said in the above paragraph is that while I value greatly what others have to say, if my results CONTRADICT others' opinions, then I know which is going to be adhered to more often by me.

contender

Ruger Guru
I think your choice of the RCBS will make you happy in the long run.
Now, to answer your next questions. Yes, carbide dies are hard enough to be used w/o lube. And they are mostly for straight walled cases. That's due to the carbide ring insert just inside the bottom of the die. There were some carbide rifle dies made several years ago, but the cost was prohibitive to most reloaders so they didn't sell. So, yes, you can use carbide dies w/o lube, and if you want to make it easier, a little lube doies go a long way.
Now the neck sizing vs full length sizing.
If you only have one rifle, and never plan on getting another one in that caliber then neck sizing will work for that one gun. Unless you keep the brass seperated for each gun. When a case is fired, it conforms to the chamber walls. If you want a real tight sealing case, and add a fraction of accuracy, then neck sizing is good. As noted above, it's usually the necks that fail first anyway. But, in neck sizing, you can have issues with semi-auto chambers, and sticky bolt handles at times. (Tight brass into a chamber causes this.) Most benchrest shooters always neck size only.
But if you have different guns, and want to make sure things feed properly & smoothly, then full length sizing is a better route to take. You will not lose enough accuracy out of most factory chambers to notice the differences between neck sizing or full length sizing. Yes, a full length sized case can fail if it's loaded hot & several times. But, most of us load for accuracy, and often that's not quite to the upper limits in many guns.
I would recommend you start with full length resizing to make sure you get properly feeding ammo.

A

Anonymous

Double Maduro said:
Well, I made a big mistake. I bought a .22-250. A great shooting rifle, it will kill many ground squirrels, if I can afford to feed it, that is.

So, I have decided to start reloading. I know almost nothing. I have seen it done, I have read a couple of manuals, that's about it.

I will mainly be loading for

.22-250 300-500 rounds a year.

30-06 50-100 rounds a year, probably cheaper to buy ready made.

,45 acp 1000-2000 a year

.38spcl 100-200 a year

.357mag 100-200 a year

.41 mag 200-300 a year

.44mag 200-300 a year

I have been looking at the Breech Lock Challenger Kit from Lee. I can afford it, and it seems like it will handle all of the calibers I will be loading.

This kit comes in two forms, an and off press priming. Which is best and why?

Will this kit handle what I want to do?

What do you think?

I know there will be as many opinions as answers to this post but that's ok. I need your knowledge.

Thanks,
DM

I tryed a Lee back when I first started, it broke the first day, took it back the next day and traded it in on a RCBS been happy every since.

Latest posts