Help a new guy out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Well, I made a big mistake. I bought a .22-250. A great shooting rifle, it will kill many ground squirrels, if I can afford to feed it, that is.

So, I have decided to start reloading. I know almost nothing. I have seen it done, I have read a couple of manuals, that's about it.

I will mainly be loading for

.22-250 300-500 rounds a year.

30-06 50-100 rounds a year, probably cheaper to buy ready made.

,45 acp 1000-2000 a year

.38spcl 100-200 a year

.357mag 100-200 a year

.41 mag 200-300 a year

.44mag 200-300 a year

I have been looking at the Breech Lock Challenger Kit from Lee. I can afford it, and it seems like it will handle all of the calibers I will be loading.

This kit comes in two forms, an and off press priming. Which is best and why?

Will this kit handle what I want to do?

What do you think?

I know there will be as many opinions as answers to this post but that's ok. I need your knowledge.

Thanks,
DM

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
It's never a mistake to buy a gun that shoots the best .22 round ever made. I love the .22-250, in a bolt action/falling block it can be loaded down to 22 LR velocities and all the way up to man sized animal killing at very long ranges. Just a great round, especially for a reloader. I'll be honest, I only know that Lee's teach you how to reload and adjust and adjust and adjust again. Get a better press for that wonderful array of rounds you shoot, reloading should be fun and not a chore, JMO.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
First off is desiding what type of press you want, sounds to me you want a single stage?
Personally I would stay away from Lee some people like them, but they are not the best quality, you get what you pay for.
I have the Lyman Crusher press, it's single stage I have had it for 30 years, still works good as new, has loading thousands of rounds, and will out last me.
RCBS is real good also, I have a mixture of Lyman and RCBS tools, I buy which ever one I like best out of the two, there are more expensive brands, as well but these two will last you a life time.

Olsherm

Blackhawk
IMHO the Lee thing is just a mental thing because they don't cost much. An they are not made from the hardest steel but I have a Lee Turret press the (lower priced one) and it and Lee dies will load you up for ever if taken care of.I also have a Lyman single stage press and a Lyman Turret press and I cannot tell any difference in ammo loaded on either one. I also coat my bullets with the Lee liquid alox and it works great and gives virtually no leading at modest loads.Sometimes I also coat the commercially cast bullets with a light coat of the stuff,especially if the bullets are hard cast. Just my two cents worth.

mattsbox99

Hunter
You're on the right path. Get the press you can afford. Truthfully I have never seen any evidence that Lee presses are inferior.

I would get a hand primer though, much better results. I really like the universal RCBS one that doesn't take shellholders.

Add to that a digital caliper and scale and you'll be set.

I have an old Rock Chucker and it does everyhting I need to do.

You will need a scale. My RCBS 5-10 is totally adequate.

I prime with one of the little LEE hand gadgets, and it's just fine.

Most of my dies are Lyman because I liked them many years ago when I got started . . . carbide versions for the straight-wall handgun cases.

Probably any of the "brand name" stuff will work for you until you gain enough experience to have opinions of your own.

Enjoy.

:)

contender

Ruger Guru
I will cast a vote for the idea of a better single stage press assy for the rifle calibers. Why? Well, over the many years I've reloaded, I've seen cases get sticky & stuck in a die often enough to where a bit more pressure is used. Plus, I have seen two Lees that had the press warped due to others overworking them.
So, if you are buying, I'd seriously look into a stronger, better press assy. Gun shows swap meets etc are all good places to get one. Too bad you (probably) won't be at the Harrisburg show, as I have a few spare items that would be of interest to you.

Next, the on press priming, or the off press hand priming systems. Both work just fine. Many benchrest shooters prefer the hand primers as they give a better "feel" of when the primer seats in the pocket. On press is an easier set up, and has better leverage in seating. I've used the on press method for most of my 35+ years of loading & I get some mighty good results in my ammo.
I call "shooters choice" in that department.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
DM, off press priming is the way to go! Like others have said, it offers better priming feel to it. Plus it is a lot less fussier to fill the primer tray than to fill the feed tubes or load APS strips for on-press priming.

As for Lee presses? They can and DO load good ammunition! I've put out some tack driver loads for my 44Mag and 45Auto from a Lee Turret Press. Very soon, I will be using it to reload for my .500 Mag. I've have not had any problems with their dies going out of adjustment. Maybe their finger-tighten dies could possibly be the culprit, but the only time I have had that happen was when using an auto-disk powder measure. I replaced them with split-collar lock rings and have had no issues at all. I really think you will be very happy with a Lee press. I know my results are very good.

While I have not reloaded any bottleneck cartridge, I can still make a recommendation. A couple people I know, along with several people here on the forum, use Imperial Die Wax as their case lube rather than the stuff you squeeze into a pad and roll the cases across it. I think one of our forum members (I cannot remember who) was still getting stuck cases despite proper lubrication with a pad. I've never heard of anybody getting a stuck case with Imperial Die Wax.

GP100man

Buckeye
I have used the Lee classic & it`s a HOSS ,made from steel & built to last & I really liked the spent primer going out the rams center .

The Lee Challenger is a cast aluminum & will handle most reloading chores but may flex on the largest of Magnum cases or forming brass.

I also have the Lyman CrusherII & a Lyman turret great presses strong & accurately built .

I also have 2 RCs mounted & instead of removing dies for different steps I just move to a different press!

Cruise around for a used steel or iron press & other equipment , if maintained 1/2 what they need they`ll outlast me & you !!

Don`t skimp on a set of good balance beam scales though !

Here`s a pic of the tightest press I own , purty Huh LOL !

102_0211-1.jpg

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I started with the Lee Challenger Kit and it will make good ammo if you are very careful but it is a pain in the rear to get the scale and powder measure working good and the press isn't really all that heavy duty. If I had it to do over again I would buy the RCBS starter kit. It has a better press, a better scale and a better powder measure.

...add your dies, a dial caliper, a Lee case trimmer, some shell holders and you are all set. $50 rebate going on now. 8) 8)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/rcbs-rock-chucker-supreme-master-single-stage-press-kit

...Jimbo

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

At last count I think I had six single stage presses: two Lees (the tiny "Reloader" and the pre-breech block style "Challenger"), an old Texan, a Pacific-Hornady, and two RCBS (an old "Jr II" and an almost new "Rock Chucker II"--the last US-made Rock Chucker before the Supreme hit the market.)

Every single one has been used to load ammo from 9mm to .30-06, and all will do the job. W/ the exception of the Lee Reloader, all are up to the task w/ minimal effort. The little guy breathes a bit hard w/ larger cases.

The Challenger was bought as an "experiment" to see how well it would hold up. I put it back in the closet after 12,000 rounds, virtually as tight as it was after smoothing out thru the first 500 rounds or so. The new Challenger is a much beefier machine, so I'd have no worries about it. However, if one still worries about aluminum alloy presses (RCBS has a couple, too: the "Partner" and the "Reloader Special"), Lee does have a cast iron "Classic" and "Classic Turret" in the line which will hold their own w/ most any current competing model from the other popular mfrs. And, unlike the now-Chinese cast Rock Chucker Supreme, they're US made from raw material to finished product...

Rick C

lipofsky

Single-Sixer
I have a Lee Breech Lock challenger, I load .38, 9mm, .45acp, .223, and soon .30-.30, I have bought extra bushings for each set of dies, The primer setup works for the most part but it can be a pain, When I load I usually do it over several days for one caliber and load everything up. Then clean up my mess and put it away. When I have enough brass I set up to load another several hundred rounds. i go by the manuals as I am still learning. I bought this to try it out and did not want to have a huge investment in case it did not work out for me. I am thinking of upgrading to a Lee 4 hole turret as I am getting comfortable with what I am doing but I am no where near the level of many of the good folks here on the forum. So in my humble opinion, This has worked well for me with minimal investment and Lee is a good product, I have had "0" issues with any of the equipment. I have recovered all my initial costs to date and now I am spending about 50% or less of the cost for new ammo.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Rick Courtright said:
However, if one still worries about aluminum alloy presses (RCBS has a couple, too: the "Partner" and the "Reloader Special"), Lee does have a cast iron "Classic" and "Classic Turret" in the line which will hold their own w/ most any current competing model from the other popular mfrs. And, unlike the now-Chinese cast Rock Chucker Supreme, they're US made from raw material to finished product...

Rick C
I have the aluminum Lee 4-hole turret press. I do not feel I have anything of lesser quality than the cast base turret. After all, the toolhead at the top where the turret sits as well as the 3 support posts from the base to the toolhead are steel on both models. So in my opinion, the only weak point of either design is in the support posts. But I have not found any evidence of flexing or the like. The threads have shown no signs of stress. The aluminum press is still as tight as it was a year ago. Even sizing unfired MagTech .500 S&W cases through that press went very well and did not flex anything.

A proper grade of aluminum alloy is plenty for the majority of reloaders. Now if I were case forming, I would go with iron or steel.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Had two friends that started out with Lee's same two friends had to buy replacements later, and the replacments were not Lee, to light duty to last.

Pal Val

Buckeye
Buy good, buy once. I started with a Lyman turret press, and after 6 years and several thousand rounds, I'm still using the same. Meanwhile, I know of at least two people in the club who started with cheaper presses and later bought better. That's money wasted.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Pal Val said:
Buy good, buy once. I started with a Lyman turret press, and after 6 years and several thousand rounds, I'm still using the same. Meanwhile, I know of at least two people in the club who started with cheaper presses and later bought better. That's money wasted.
Did they fail or did they just want to upgrade?

I figure I did between 1,500 and 2,000 rounds last year on my Lee. As I mentioned earlier, it still is holding up very well. Mind you, I am only loading straight wall handgun cartridges as I own no rifles for which to reload. I suspect that the Lee Turret is best used for such cartridges or very small rifle cartridges like .222/.223 and 22 Hornet. I also would feel comfortable loading 45-70 in my Lee turret. To be honest, I think that was what Lee had in mind with that press. I would not load 460 Weatherby cases though because...I doubt the press has the clearance. :)

For what I am using my Lee for, I have yet to see all the bad things happen that others say will happen. Sure it still may down the road but then again, it may not. If it does, well then at least I got my money's worth.

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
This may not apply for the OP but my Hornady AP has well over 15,000 rounds loaded on it in just less than 5 months. It holds every length, powder drops are accurate and I have extreme confidence in it. It doesn't leak powder or choke. I have loaded with lesser and even better presses but I'm just happy as heck I bought this one. I don't recommend things to any major extent but I don't like to see people struggle.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
Donaldjr1969 said:
Pal Val said:
Did they fail or did they just want to upgrade?

I figure I did between 1,500 and 2,000 rounds last year on my Lee. As I mentioned earlier, it still is holding up very well. Mind you, I am only loading straight wall handgun cartridges as I own no rifles for which to reload. I suspect that the Lee Turret is best used for such cartridges or very small rifle cartridges like .222/.223 and 22 Hornet. I also would feel comfortable loading 45-70 in my Lee turret. To be honest, I think that was what Lee had in mind with that press. I would not load 460 Weatherby cases though because...I doubt the press has the clearance. :)

For what I am using my Lee for, I have yet to see all the bad things happen that others say will happen. Sure it still may down the road but then again, it may not. If it does, well then at least I got my money's worth.

Two of my friends Lee presses failed, just not strong enough for rifle rounds with bottle necks, they take a lot of pressure resizing, since you are resizing the case and also the neck in this process.

I have never even gave a thought about whether my Lyman press
strong enough it alway has been for everything.

But I still joke with the guys about only having to buy my press once not twice like they did, one replaced his with a Lyman like mine, the other liked the RCBS, both very good presses, and there are other that are real good also, like Horandy and Redding.

Some times what you end up with brand wise comes down to what's available locally when you shop, but buy good quality the first time, you'll be happier.

E.C. West

Bearcat
A little over a year ago, I was in the same boat as you. Except you seem to know a little more to start with than I did. I was going to buy a Lee reloading set-up. I finally decided if I was going to take the plunge, I was going to go sturdier than a Lee press. People that had Lee, liked them. If I decided I didn't like reloading, it seemed that Lee didn't hold as high a resale as other brands. I went with the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit. After I got the press mounted on the bench, I was very impressed with it. It was sooooo stout and tight (not loose and wiggly). This sucker will out last me.

I've yet to find anyone that says the Lee dies are inferior to other brands. I have some RCBS dies and Lee dies. I like them both.

Yes, I paid more than I had planned. (and I am not tell my wife the $$$ amount I spent) I could have gotten a Lee set up for half or less than what I spent but I don't regret it.

I think all of the brands will work fine for you. You now your budget. My best suggestion is . . . go as high end brand as you can afford. When you buy it, don't have buyers remorse. Enjoy it and make the best of it.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
E.C. West said:
I've yet to find anyone that says the Lee dies are inferior to other brands. I have some RCBS dies and Lee dies. I like them both.
One thing Lee really has going for them is how they include the required shellholder with the dies. I have never understood why other manufacturers have not done the same...

One thing tho about the Lee seater for 44Mag is that with the 255g Keith LSWCs I reload, the crimp shoulder will actually seat the bullets partway even in the absence of the seater plug. So for those wishing to seat and crimp in one step with a LSWC, the Lee die may not be the best choice. But I use a Redding Profile Crimp Die anyway so that is a moot point.

I think all of the brands will work fine for you. You now your budget. My best suggestion is . . . go as high end brand as you can afford. When you buy it, don't have buyers remorse. Enjoy it and make the best of it.
That probably is the best statement so far. I know that while I would not have minded a Lyman T-mag turret press, I do not regret my decision to buy a Lee Turret. I have had no problems as mentioned several times already. It also makes very accurate ammo. Maybe with the support posts and the turret head being steel, it could be more durable than the all aluminum Challenger. Who knows? But I expect to get a long service life out of my cheapskate Lee press.